Buying tickets online - gripe

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old man vagabond

Train Attendant
In checking plans for a roundtrip ABQ- SAN, the online AMTRAK site gives me only one choice of a departure

from SAN - LAX, which gets me into LAX about 30 minutes before the SWC departs for ABQ.

I want the next earlier train out of SAN - LAX, so I guess I'd need buy my ticket by phone or go to my local AMTRAK station ?

In checking plans for a roundtrip ABQ- SAN, the online AMTRAK site gives me only one choice of a departure

from SAN - LAX, which gets me into LAX about 30 minutes before the SWC departs for ABQ.

I want the next earlier train out of SAN - LAX, so I guess I'd need buy my ticket by phone or go to my local AMTRAK station ?
Use the "multi-city" option and make your two choices as SAN>LAX and LAX>ABQ. You can then choose the SAN>LAX train you want.

By calling it in you should be able to book the earlier train without problems, provided it is not sold out for some reason. Worse case scenario would involve making a separate PNR for the SAN-LAX-SAN tickets, although without knowing the fare structures that could be prcier than a one package deal; a good Agent will be able to get it worked out for you.

I have seen the computer give out some very strange reservations. Frequently it will show that going to LAX from San Antonio it routes me thru Chicago rather than the Sunset LTd. You just have to call and work with a human.

I have seen the computer give out some very strange reservations. Frequently it will show that going to LAX from San Antonio it routes me thru Chicago rather than the Sunset LTd. You just have to call and work with a human.
It route you thru Chicago because you requested to depart or arrive on a day that the SL does not operate. (Remember that it only operates 3 times a week, while the other trains operate daily.)

Use the "multi-city" option and make your two choices as SAN>LAX and LAX>ABQ. You can then choose the SAN>LAX train you want.
That'd be ABQ-LAX-SAN and then SAN-LAX-ABQ.If I do it that way, will my checked luggage go straight through from ABQ to SAN, or would I need to recheck it in LAX? ?

That'd be ABQ-LAX-SAN and then SAN-LAX-ABQ.If I do it that way, will my checked luggage go straight through from ABQ to SAN, or would I need to recheck it in LAX? ?
It will go straight through without you needing to do anything in LAX other than change trains.

That'd be ABQ-LAX-SAN and then SAN-LAX-ABQ.

If I do it that way, will my checked luggage go straight through from ABQ to SAN, or would I need to recheck it in LAX? ?
No need to recheck your luggage at LAX. Show the agent at SAN your ticket to ABQ and ask to have it checked through. It is simply a matter of proving you're ticketed all the way though, even if on separate reservations, and then having the agent affix the bag-check tag for ABQ. The handlers at LAX will transfer the luggage without question.

I've checked bags through from Buffalo NY to Sacramento on entirely different trains than I myself traveled! The bags went LSL to CZ, while I went LSL to EB to CS. The luggage actually arrived a day earlier than I did, and was locked up safe and sound at the Sacramento depot until we came with the check tag to pick it up.

Have a safe trip!

I've checked bags through from Buffalo NY to Sacramento on entirely different trains than I myself traveled!
There's an old joke where a man walks up to an airline ticket counter and tells the clerk:"I'd like a ticket to Boston,

but I want my bags to go to Miami."

The clerk tells him they can't do that, and he replies:

"Why not ? That's what happened the last time I flew."

Since the Surfliners are unreserved (unless you're traveling business class), you can board the earlier train even if ticketed for the later one.

Since the Surfliners are unreserved (unless you're traveling business class), you can board the earlier train even if ticketed for the later one.
In another thread he said he wanted to use business class on the Surfliners, so that would be reserved for a specific train.

That'd be ABQ-LAX-SAN and then SAN-LAX-ABQ.

If I do it that way, will my checked luggage go straight through from ABQ to SAN, or would I need to recheck it in LAX? ?
No need to recheck your luggage at LAX. Show the agent at SAN your ticket to ABQ and ask to have it checked through. It is simply a matter of proving you're ticketed all the way though, even if on separate reservations, and then having the agent affix the bag-check tag for ABQ. The handlers at LAX will transfer the luggage without question.

I've checked bags through from Buffalo NY to Sacramento on entirely different trains than I myself traveled! The bags went LSL to CZ, while I went LSL to EB to CS. The luggage actually arrived a day earlier than I did, and was locked up safe and sound at the Sacramento depot until we came with the check tag to pick it up.

Have a safe trip!
Even if you use multi-city, the final reservation is on a single PNR. It does not result in separate reservations for each segment.

Even if you use multi-city, the final reservation is on a single PNR. It does not result in separate reservations for each segment.
I'm not sure what that means; however I was given four tickets last December.

ABQ-LAX

LAX-SAN

SAN-LAX

LAX-ABQ

Last edited by a moderator:
PNR is computer speak for Passenger Number Record, or what most people would call your reservation number.

When one uses the Multi-City function at Amtrak.com, what you listed above can be booked all on one reservation or PNR, just like happens with the normal booking engine at Amtrak.com. However, with multi-city, you can better control which trains are presented to you for you to select. This can be helpful if one is trying to build an odd itinerary that Amtrak.com doesn't present automatically.

PNR is computer speak for Passenger Number Record, or what most people would call your reservation number.
Thanks - using all the advice given, I've printed out what I want and will go to the local station this week to purchase my ticket(s).

Thanks - using all the advice given, I've printed out what I want and will go to the local station this week to purchase my ticket(s).
Or you can do the same over the phone and pay with a credit card - no need to visit the station, unless you want to! :excl: You can even print your tickets (actually a bar code since Amtrak uses e-tickets now) right from your computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back