Business class on Palmetto #89/90

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, a very interesting response. That's the first time that I've ever heard that they are allowed to take revenue beverages out of stock when the run out of the complimentary ones. I do wonder if she's got the correct info.

But at least they've sent the matter onto the manager of that line, so that hopefully the situation never occurs again.

That's why I posted it. Seems contrary to the discussions here.

I HOPE that they are doing something to accomodate their higher-paying customers. Southbound Business Class service does not need to end in North Carolina. It should be brought all the way down to Savannah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, a very interesting response. That's the first time that I've ever heard that they are allowed to take revenue beverages out of stock when the run out of the complimentary ones. I do wonder if she's got the correct info.
But at least they've sent the matter onto the manager of that line, so that hopefully the situation never occurs again.
Actually Alan, if you read my last report from Penny BC service you'll find that I got a couple revenue beverages when they didn't have the non-revenue cans. The SA also told me that while it wasn't exactly ideal, he was supposed to make sure we had drinks. He normally would offer what he had left in non-revenue stock before going to the revenue option-- but on that trip he ran out of everything but water. He gave me a revenue can and a half-dozen bottles of water.

Of course like all people on Amtrak, this could vary depending upon the SA one has-- it has always been my experience that the Penny crews are wonderful.

I understand the fear of the SA feeling like it is going to come out of his/her pay. Firstly, Amtrak needs to trust their employees and get rid of those they don't. Yeah, I know - easier said than done. Secondly, if the matter is properly handled, it would be just a minor bit of inconvenience, but perhaps asking a BC customer to sign a receipt with their ticket number on it would be helpful.

I remember the "gool ol' days" when I would find a Coke guy stocking up a vending machine, and he'd hand me a cold one from the bottom of the machine. He didn't care about losing control of one or two in inventory.

Dishonesty and bottom line, though . . . two opposing forces that are not so customer friendly.

ACL - I remember your triplogue, but that again is another problem with Amtrak - BC on the Palmetto is NOT the same BC on the Carolinian nor the Penny. They need to try to do their best to have similar service across their different trains.

ACL - I remember your triplogue, but that again is another problem with Amtrak - BC on the Palmetto is NOT the same BC on the Carolinian nor the Penny. They need to try to do their best to have similar service across their different trains.
While that's a nice idea, it's simply not possible. Remeber that on many of the state supported services, Amtrak doesn't decide what BC offers on that run, the State paying for the service decides.

While that's a nice idea, it's simply not possible. Remeber that on many of the state supported services, Amtrak doesn't decide what BC offers on that run, the State paying for the service decides.
Yes. Amtrak needs to try and do better-- but they can't risk loosing the state funding. You loose the funding, you loose the train.

IMHO BC on day trains is NOT about the drinks, its about the seats. Try the Palmetto in coach and you'll see you're paying for the nicer seat. The drinks are a bonus, but that's about it-- I'm sorry the experience wasn't up to specifications. I am glad you got a response-- that is better than what most of us get.

And no harm no foul-- no worries... but it is A-L-C. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back