Business class on Palmetto #89/90

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abcnews

OBS Chief
Our family will take the Palmetto to Savannah on Tuesday, March 13. We have 7 seats in business class. Is it the 2 / 1 seating? Just wondering what to expect?

Our last trip was the Cardinal with viewliner rooms. That was very nice...

Any word on delays, trackwork?

Mike

Our family will take the Palmetto to Savannah on Tuesday, March 13. We have 7 seats in business class. Is it the 2 / 1 seating? Just wondering what to expect?

Mike
I rode BC on the Palmetto RVR-BAL on March 4 and was quite pleased with the BC car. You'll most likely have one of the refurbished ex-metroliner club/cafe cars with 2-1 seating and faux leather, super-reclining, calf-rest, foot-rest seats. I found the seats VERY comfortable and plush, and my wife is now insisting that this be our standard class of ticket for any non-overnight trip of more than 2 hours. The availability of two 120v plugs at each seat was also a nice amenity. The only negative from the trip was the availability (or lack thereof) of our car attendant, who seemed to want to hang out in the baggage car (!), for reasons I have yet to discern. The cafe car's line tends to get quite long on that train, it seems, so be prepared to wait in line if you want food.

Other than that, it's a great service and well worth the extra $$ IMHO.

As for delays and trackwork, I'm not aware of any trackwork right now, but keep in mind that the WAS-RVR corridor is extremely congested these days, so don't be surprised if you're creeping along a bit at times. You're also going to be moving along that corridor mid-day on a weekday, which can sometimes be dicey if you end up fighting for track with a VRE train. For a good idea of recent run-times on the Palmetto, head over to the Unofficial Amtrak Train Status History page and take a look. At first glance, it seems to be running fairly well into RVR, but loses some more time on its way to SAV.

-Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike
I rode BC on the Palmetto RVR-BAL on March 4 and was quite pleased with the BC car. You'll most likely have one of the refurbished ex-metroliner club/cafe cars with 2-1 seating and faux leather, super-reclining, calf-rest, foot-rest seats. I found the seats VERY comfortable and plush, and my wife is now insisting that this be our standard class of ticket for any non-overnight trip of more than 2 hours. The availability of two 120v plugs at each seat was also a nice amenity. The only negative from the trip was the availability (or lack thereof) of our car attendant, who seemed to want to hang out in the baggage car (!), for reasons I have yet to discern. The cafe car's line tends to get quite long on that train, it seems, so be prepared to wait in line if you want food.

Other than that, it's a great service and well worth the extra $$ IMHO.

-Rafi
Thanks! Once before we had the 1/2 BC / 1/2 cafe car and we really liked it (Twilight Shoreliner to NYC?). We plan to bring a cooler with some food, subs, etc..

Any chance of a table in the BC section and 4 seats (2 & 2) facing each other - for cards? Or do we move out to the cafe car to play cards?

Thanks! Once before we had the 1/2 BC / 1/2 cafe car and we really liked it (Twilight Shoreliner to NYC?). We plan to bring a cooler with some food, subs, etc..
Any chance of a table in the BC section and 4 seats (2 & 2) facing each other - for cards? Or do we move out to the cafe car to play cards?
I think you'll find the car to be in much better shape (cosmetically) than the car you were in on the TS.

On our trip, the car was a no-tables Business Class section (which we actually preferred), and the tables were located in the other half of the car on the other side of the cafe counter. So if you want to head over to play cards or eat family-style (as opposed to airline-style), you'll want to make the short walk over to the other side of the car for that. That's assuming you get the same kind of car that we had (which I suspect is highly likely).

-Rafi

I think you'll find the car to be in much better shape (cosmetically) than the car you were in on the TS.

On our trip, the car was a no-tables Business Class section (which we actually preferred), and the tables were located in the other half of the car on the other side of the cafe counter. So if you want to head over to play cards or eat family-style (as opposed to airline-style), you'll want to make the short walk over to the other side of the car for that. That's assuming you get the same kind of car that we had (which I suspect is highly likely).

-Rafi
Thanks Rafi!

BTW - We board at RVR. My wife and I, and our 5 children.

I rode the Palmetto last week from Richimond to Florence, SC and Florernce to Yemassee, SC (2 different trips - long story). On the Yemassee trip if was only 20 min. late into Florence before a broken air hose got us - 45" late into Yemassee. The Richmond trip started on time. CSX just completed a major track work program from Fayetteviile to Dillon, SC. That's the good news. Bad news is a lot of those forces seem to be working between Petersburg and north of Fayetteville. It's not a major track program, but enough for us to take a 2 hour delay into Florence.

I agree Business class is well worth it. As Rafi suggested, you might try eating in the dinette portion rather than at your seat. I found it more comfortable (and less annoying I am sure for my seat mate). On top of that I had a really good conversation with a couple passengers.

I rode the Palmetto last week from Richimond to Florence, SC and Florernce to Yemassee, SC (2 different trips - long story). On the Yemassee trip if was only 20 min. late into Florence before a broken air hose got us - 45" late into Yemassee. The Richmond trip started on time. CSX just completed a major track work program from Fayetteviile to Dillon, SC. That's the good news. Bad news is a lot of those forces seem to be working between Petersburg and north of Fayetteville. It's not a major track program, but enough for us to take a 2 hour delay into Florence.
I agree Business class is well worth it. As Rafi suggested, you might try eating in the dinette portion rather than at your seat. I found it more comfortable (and less annoying I am sure for my seat mate). On top of that I had a really good conversation with a couple passengers.
Thanks!

I bet on a mid-week run it should not be too crowded over on the cafe side. My two oldest are out on spring break this week (VCU) so we are all excited about the trip, traveling together and seeing the sights.

Is there cell service most of the way? We have a laptop with Verizon broadband. We also have verizon phones.

Mike

I try to ignore cell phones on a train so didn't really notice although a good bet you can get a decent signal at towns with station stops. The major stops where some passengers take a smoke brake and a good time to use a cell phone on the platform are: Richmond, Wilson, Florence, Charleston.

By the way, in BC you get free soft drinks and the Italian sandwich sold in the cafe isn't bad, so may not need that cooler. Of course they also sell beer which I found goes well with the Bratwurst.

I try to ignore cell phones on a train so didn't really notice although a good bet you can get a decent signal at towns with station stops. The major stops where some passengers take a smoke brake and a good time to use a cell phone on the platform are: Richmond, Wilson, Florence, Charleston.
By the way, in BC you get free soft drinks and the Italian sandwich sold in the cafe isn't bad, so may not need that cooler. Of course they also sell beer which I found goes well with the Bratwurst.
Sounds too good... On the return I think our cooler will be empty so I'll plan on the Italian sandwich.

However, I also had another idea ... I did do a web search for best North Carolina BBQ (which I really like). I found an expert on the subject and he praised the BBQ at a location in Smithfield, NC. He gave it his 4 pig rating (his highest honor).

I'm thinking I might call the place and pay them an extra fee to bring us some real NC BBQ and meet us at the Selma stop - which is 7 miles from their location on Route 301. May be a bad idea though? Hard to time it just right. Perhaps I treat the conductor as well - may as well, and it would make it go a bit smoother as he could assist with a true estimate of our arrival time in Selma.

Sounds too good... On the return I think our cooler will be empty so I'll plan on the Italian sandwich.

However, I also had another idea ... I did do a web search for best North Carolina BBQ (which I really like). I found an expert on the subject and he praised the BBQ at a location in Smithfield, NC. He gave it his 4 pig rating (his highest honor).

I'm thinking I might call the place and pay them an extra fee to bring us some real NC BBQ and meet us at the Selma stop - which is 7 miles from their location on Route 301. May be a bad idea though? Hard to time it just right. Perhaps I treat the conductor as well - may as well, and it would make it go a bit smoother as he could assist with a true estimate of our arrival time in Selma.
I have seen this done before, but it requires a good bit of coordination and luck - to have an on-time train and a delivery person willing to wait for a bit. Remember if you include the Conductor you will also need to include his/her assistant and the car attendant as well. Better order the Half-Pig size. Good Luck.

I have seen this done before, but it requires a good bit of coordination and luck - to have an on-time train and a delivery person willing to wait for a bit. Remember if you include the Conductor you will also need to include his/her assistant and the car attendant as well. Better order the Half-Pig size. Good Luck.
Yes - I think the bigger the order the better chance they go for it so - so yes, I agree.

Geez, we sure have gone backwards in time in the USA on our intercity passenger rail services -- here we are talking about coordinating food items to be delivered at a station!

Yep, won't be long before we suggest the Palmetto has a meal stop in its schedule as done long ago on some secondary trains.

Our favorite NC BBQ is Parker's in Wilson. Been there for over 60 years, and it is a real gathering spot for the community as well as over the road truckers, and folks like us. We always plan a lunch stop there when driving to the northeast. Pork dinner is the best I've had and includes lots of BBQ, hush puppies or corn dogs, brunswick stew, slaw, boiled potatoes or green beans and of course lots of sweet tea. Less than $6. It's about 5 or 10 minutes from the Wilson station.

Geez, we sure have gone backwards in time in the USA on our intercity passenger rail services -- here we are talking about coordinating food items to be delivered at a station!
On a couple of occasions I thought about having a pizza delievered to the train just for the heck of it. But it would be dicey to coordinate. You might make the delievery call hoping to time it just right. If they are late . . . no food. If you are late . . . the food is cold or they leave. Even if you call 20 miles out, something could go wrong to mess up your plans. So think twice about this one.

As far as your own food, that would be fine. But Amtrak has rules about you eating your own food at their tables in the food servicce car. (IIRC) So be careful about this one. You might want to ask the attendant.

On a couple of occasions I thought about having a pizza delievered to the train just for the heck of it. But it would be dicey to coordinate. You might make the delievery call hoping to time it just right. If they are late . . . no food. If you are late . . . the food is cold or they leave. Even if you call 20 miles out, something could go wrong to mess up your plans. So think twice about this one.

As far as your own food, that would be fine. But Amtrak has rules about you eating your own food at their tables in the food servicce car. (IIRC) So be careful about this one. You might want to ask the attendant.
Thanks for all the input - Hope to post a few photos upon our return. I found this shot in the archives from a recent post. Great shot of the Palmetto - taken near Charleston.

Thanks again for all the info!

www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=138945

Yep, won't be long before we suggest the Palmetto has a meal stop in its schedule as done long ago on some secondary trains.
Our favorite NC BBQ is Parker's in Wilson. Been there for over 60 years, and it is a real gathering spot for the community as well as over the road truckers, and folks like us. We always plan a lunch stop there when driving to the northeast. Pork dinner is the best I've had and includes lots of BBQ, hush puppies or corn dogs, brunswick stew, slaw, boiled potatoes or green beans and of course lots of sweet tea. Less than $6. It's about 5 or 10 minutes from the Wilson station.
And yes - we too always stop at Parkers when driving north from NC/SC. It's an American classic.

At 7 people you will occupy virtually half (7/15) of the car.

Just FYI, I find the club-dinette cars often run rougher than other cars, just for your consideration.

Good luck if you decide to go with the BBQ. I would talk to the conductor as soon as you get settled, and call the BBQ place a while before you plan to order.

Don't make it look like you are bribing the conductor to hold the train, either. Many people would get quite mad about things like that, especially if they can smell it and don't get any. l

My only disappointment with the new Palmetto is no dining car. In the past we have travelled south on the Silver Palm to Charleston and we really enjoyed scenic Eastern NC (Wilson, Four Oaks, tobacco barns, old stations etc..) as we were dining with a view.

But other than that, the Palmetto may work better for us (better schedule - more daylight) Business class. Just no elegant dining. The Palm departed Richmond about 2:20 - 2:30 and the Palmetto departs around 12 noon.

I suppose what we really need to find is a network of pizza joint owners who are railfans, keep a scanner in the shop, and show up with pizzas at the station when the train arrives. ;)

Just FYI, I find the club-dinette cars often run rougher than other cars, just for your consideration.
I've noticed more than one person make this comment and I have to wonder if those making it have bumped into one of the 11 Horizon Club-Dinette cars. Personally I've never found the ride in the Amfleet Club-Dinette's to be rougher, after all they are Amfleet I's just like most of the rest of the single level fleet. Not to mention that these cars were once Amtrak's cream of the fleet, since they were the Metroliner First Class cars. If they weren't built exactly like the rest of the AMF I's; then I would expect them to be better, not worse, than the rest of the AMF fleet since they catered to Amtrak's premium NEC customers.

My only disappointment with the new Palmetto is no dining car. In the past we have travelled south on the Silver Palm to Charleston and we really enjoyed scenic Eastern NC (Wilson, Four Oaks, tobacco barns, old stations etc..) as we were dining with a view.
Actually I have high hopes that once more cars are converted to Diner-Lite, that Amtrak might employ such cars on routes like the Palmetto, where such cars would be ideally suited. Runs where the journey is too long for just a cafe car, but runs that don't go overnight or have sleepers. This car, Amtrak's attempt at mating a dining car with a cafe car, provides a service and food selection above that of the normal cafe car, but below that of the service one would have found on a dining car two years ago. At present there are 6 single level Diner-Lite cars available, but I understand that they are mainly found on the Silver Service trains at the moment.

I will miss those big wide windows that we enjoyed in the Palm dinner cars. For me that was half the pleasure of the dining experience.

I hope they still have them on the other two FL trains?

Not for long. They are planning on retiring the Heritage cars in the very near future.

Your Best bet when there is a extended Service Stop, because when I rode the Late International, my Dad and I and 2 other passengered orderd a Pizza, we did it as soon as the Train Cleared Customes and we still had over a hour, pizza made it with about 10 Minutes to Spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back