Bus service to Cincinnati from Chicago -- who knew?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
So...I was just trying to figure out all my vacation for this year including a trip to Cincinnati.

I was using Amsnag for the Amtrak portion of my trip as some times I take a bus between Boston and New York.

Anyway, Amsnag brought up itineraries taking me from NYP to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited and then taking a bus from Chicago to Cincinnati! This is for a day when there is no Cardinal service from Chicago to Cincinnati.

Now, if I put the same dates and stations into Amtrak's system, it does not offer that itinerary but just jumps me to the next day that Amtrak services Cincinnati.

I am really amazed/annoyed/baffled/untrusting of all of this.

Has Amtrak offered a bus connection to Cincinnati all along from Chicago taking the Lake Shore Limited? I knew I could purchase a separate ticket via Megabus or Greyhound, but not as part of my Amtrak ticket.

I hope it is true because it would make my life infinitely better!

Also, what gives with different information/itineraries between Amsnag and Amtrak?

Addition to my original post:

I should add that it is even more curious that when you select the itinerary from Amsnag it takes you to the Amtrak website and shows the bus connection as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So...I was just trying to figure out all my vacation for this year including a trip to Cincinnati.

I was using Amsnag for the Amtrak portion of my trip as some times I take a bus between Boston and New York.

Anyway, Amsnag brought up itineraries taking me from NYP to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited and then taking a bus from Chicago to Cincinnati! This is for a day when there is no Cardinal service from Chicago to Cincinnati.

Now, if I put the same dates and stations into Amtrak's system, it does not offer that itinerary but just jumps me to the next day that Amtrak services Cincinnati.

I am really amazed/annoyed/baffled/untrusting of all of this.

Has Amtrak offered a bus connection to Cincinnati all along from Chicago taking the Lake Shore Limited? I knew I could purchase a separate ticket via Megabus or Greyhound, but not as part of my Amtrak ticket.

I hope it is true because it would make my life infinitely better!

Also, what gives with different information/itineraries between Amsnag and Amtrak?

Addition to my original post:

I should add that it is even more curious that when you select the itinerary from Amsnag it takes you to the Amtrak website and shows the bus connection as well.
What time does it show the bus leaving Chicago? Arriving Cincinnati? Better times than the Cardinal, I hope.

If you want a bus ride could you not ride the LSL to Cleveland or Toledo, and then take a shorter bus ride to Cincinnati which would get you there earlier than the CHI bus Tom found?

Hi -- The connections on Megabus from Chicago to Cincinnati are much better than what Amtraks, plus, there is not a near 2 hour layover at stops.

The Greyhound from Cleveland is OK but since the train gets in early in the morning, I am not sure about getting a cab to the station. I know there are cabs that meet the train but they are like gyspy cabs.

I think Toledo was doable but not sure about the cab situation.

I was just shocked that Greyhound offered this service. It was wonderful when they did this out of Cleveland. I used to get the bus at the Cleveland Amtrak station and then it would go pick up passengers at the city station and then make a beeline for Cincinnati. I was often in Cincinnati in time for a late breakfast/early lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back