Bugged at Newark by train crew, sorta.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've travelled extensively in Europe by rail, just got back from Italy. No one stops anyone from taking pictures on platforms, whether you have a ticket or not. The police don't even object if you include them in the photos! And no one stops anyone from taking pictures either of the interior of the cars or out the windows while moving. When I asked a policeman in Rome's Termini whether I could take photos, he said, "Of course, why not? Enjoy your trip!"

What a pity that the powers that be in this country have become so paranoid and even more pathetic that the public puts up with such stupid policies.

I've travelled extensively in Europe by rail, just got back from Italy. No one stops anyone from taking pictures on platforms, whether you have a ticket or not. The police don't even object if you include them in the photos! And no one stops anyone from taking pictures either of the interior of the cars or out the windows while moving. When I asked a policeman in Rome's Termini whether I could take photos, he said, "Of course, why not? Enjoy your trip!"
What a pity that the powers that be in this country have become so paranoid and even more pathetic that the public puts up with such stupid policies.
I wouldn'i go so far as to say nobody ever stops you. At least on two occasions I have been stopped from taking pictures of TGVs at Paris Montparnasse. And UK has progressively been becoming more and more photographer unfriendly.

Italy is of course an entirely different and hilarious ballgame. It has got to be the only country where I saw the Police and the Gendarme get into a fight while the perp walked away.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Huey Long bridge is an easy one. I like to take pictures from the lower level of the lounge car at the table just forward of the bathroom. You can always end of train because all the cars are open. The Crescent is a different story. They have been shutting down the last two cars between Atlanta and New Orleans since the mail contract was lost (they would cut the two coaches off and tacked them back on at night to #20 with the loaded mail cars.) If you are a good diplomat you may be able to coach the conductor into letting you get to the rear of the train. I have seen a couple of conductors get pretty nasty to some pax about wanting to go to the rear "just to take pix."
Well as of late, just before the recent consist change, instead of closing the end coaches on the Crescent they have been seating all ATL-NOL in the rear of the train. ATL-NOL passengers are now seated as close to the last coach as possible, with the NOL passengers in the last coach. I'm not particularly sure of how things are handled for seating south of ATL to result in everyone ending up in the end and coaches progressively emptying from front of the train to the back as the train gets closer to NOL. I presume at NYP they look at the number of passengers exiting at each stop and determine how many seats are needed to accommodate the passengers for each station and break up the 26 discharge stations between the 4 coaches, so there are roughly 6 stops per car. Of course as seats turn over throughout the trip this system gets skewed to a point. One reason I decided this was the seating plan was when i noticed ,over the course of a few trips, the conductor started loading from the first coach in the NE and by NOL he/she had migrated from that first coach to the last coach over the course of a trip. I assume this was done to be a courtesy for coach passengers from the NE who would like to sleep with as little disturbance as possible. Once the train reached Lake Ponchartrain, the diner, the cafe, and the first 3 coaches were completely empty. The crews from the cafe, diner, and the attendants from the empty coaches had started gathering trash in the empty cars starting with the diner and working toward the end putting all the trash in the kitchen to put out at the large door in the side of the diner. When they got to the coaches they also collected the headrest covers and pillows, reset the seats, tray tables, calf rests, and foot rests. The reason I could see all of this was that they had gone through the entire train opening the doors between the cars and flipping the switch to keep them open. I'm not sure if that's any kind of violation, but it gave a very interesting perspective for the passengers in the NOL coach to be able to see down the inside of the train through 5 cars. Now I'm not sure if the clean-up process I saw happens on every trip into NOL or just when there is a conductor or OBS chief who wants to give the clean-up crew a head start. I'm not particularly sure when a OBS staff's job ends and the turn-around staff's starts so I'm not sure who's normally responsible for this.

Also I wanted to note that the train arrived a full 45minutes early into NOL. That also brings me to ask, what do the crews do when a train arrives significantly early? Do they go home or to their overnight accomodations, or do they stick around and help turn the train, or does it just make up for the late-arrivals?

I know I've gone off-topic with this post, but this seems to happen a lot here. I guess this topic really has more to do with what Amtrak's policies are and whether they are followed or not, so i guess in a way all this fits.

Writing this has given me the frame of mind to finally write a trip report for my 2 most recent train adventures into NOL, so look for those soon. And I once again apologize for this long-winded slightly off-topic post.

Number three is: Newark is not an Amtrak station. Newark is owned, operated, and policed by New Jersey Transit. That means that NJ Transit policy prevails there, and due to the highly unstaffed nature of many of their stations, everything in NJT's system is open platform, excluding only NYP and PHL. Even the big stations like Secaucus and Hoboken are open platform assuming you have a ticket for travel via Secaucus. (which has its own fee)
That's the biggest point right there IMHO.

Amtrak's photography policies ONLY apply to Amtrak owned stations. Just because Amtrak uses it, doesn't mean it owns it. Most of its stations are owned by the state, private real estate, or by local commuter rails. In this case NWK is owned by NJT. My home station, ALC, is owned by NS (They have a regional office building right behind the platform and a short-haul freight yard. The platform at ALC is totally open, Amtrak pax or not. You can go there, any time of the day or night and take photos, consists, videos, whatever. Many old railroaders sit out on lawnchairs in the summer with scanners and watch the freights and chew the fat with the NS employees.

Now if you were at NYP (a station owned by Amtrak) and were an LIRR pax then you would NOT be allowed to take pictures on any of Amtrak's platforms. Again, not the case here.

NJT has nothing clear. It really depends, it seems to vary by the day and the people and the weather. My dad flips out when I am editiing NJT videos or pictures insisting its going to get me arrested. Will it? I have no idea. My one rule is if you see NJT Police just put the camera away. Oh and don't take picutes inside New York Penn.

Where does the LIRR and NJT get off banning photography?
NJT does not ban photography. There are some overzealous busybody NJT employees running around thinking that it does.

There is a published notification from George Warrington stating the NJT photo policy, which is basically a rational one - as long as you take photos from public areas and are not trespassing on railway property or getting in the way of operations or being a safety hazard, you;re OK. We are trying to get Mr. Sarles to issue one of his own so that the few know-nothing NJT staff do not have the excuse that the rules have changed under Sarles, which they in fact haven't.

If in doubt send an email to NJT Customer Service (you can find the address on NJT web page somewhere like "Contact Us" or something like that I presume, asking them what their photography policy is. They are usually pretty good at responding.

OK - I was just wondering because a lot of the argument that was in the thread was "It's not Amtrak property" blah blah blah... Well, if the owner of the property has essentially the same rules as Amtrak, that's a weak retort.

Oh and don't take picutes inside New York Penn.
What's the problem here? There are tens of videos on Youtube that are shot inside NYP, platforms and all! Is there a difference between pictures and videos taken?
I mean I guess you can I just see it as a risk not worth taking since thats where the one guy got arrested plus I just hate being down on the platforms at NYP its like a tomb.

OK - I was just wondering because a lot of the argument that was in the thread was "It's not Amtrak property" blah blah blah... Well, if the owner of the property has essentially the same rules as Amtrak, that's a weak retort.
It's not a weak retort. Lets both you and your neighbor have personal no-smoking policies on your properties, ok? And your neighbor sees your son smoking in your backyard. Is it ok for your neighbor, who is not tasked with enforcing your rules, to vault over your fence, and start insisting that your son is to stop smoking or he is going to call the police on him? Of course not. By being on your property in an unauthorized capacity, he's trespassing. Same with the Amtrak conductor, who has no authority to enforce NJ Transit rules on NJ Transit property. He has the authority to inform NJ Transit of the violation, nothing more. Just as your neighbor has the authority to inform you of your sons misbehavior, and nothing more.

From what I understand, photography is permitted at all times on NJT platforms, so you should be OK at Newark Penn Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back