Buffalo-Depew: Hotel & rental car shuttle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetalumaLoco

Conductor
Hopped off #48 a few days ago and picked up by relatives, but now we're in the Best Western next to Buffalo airport having just picked up a Thrifty rental car - conveniently located within 50 yards of each other. The hotel and car rental are just down the road from the airport. We'll be back on #48 in a couple more days.

We asked when picking up the car; yes they can shuttle to the Amtrak station. When checking into the Best Western, we didn't get as far as asking, when I mentioned we were traveling by train, they said to let them know the evening before we leave that we'll need a shuttle to the station.

I suggest if you need this service, call them first.

Thrifty Car Rental

Buffalo Airport, NY

4646 Genesee St

Buffalo

716-632-8400 local office

(the national rental center can't help you)

Best Western

at the Buffalo Airport

4630 Genesee Street

Cheektowaga NY

716-631-8966

(don't ask, I don't know why the address is Cheektowaqa, it's almost next door to Thrifty)

We bebop thru here every couple of years, so it's nice to know this works.

I know there's links to these in the Links section of the forum, this is verification of the shuttle service and the local phone numbers.

Did you guys get a chance to do any sightseeing? Dowtown bars? Elmwood Ave.? How long are you in town for?

Did you guys get a chance to do any sightseeing? Dowtown bars? Elmwood Ave.? How long are you in town for?
We were down in Wellsville for a couple of days, visited some parks and the Curtiss Museum. Up in Buffalo, we had lunch at the Anchor Bar (wings!). Spent an evening at Niagara Falls on the Canadian side by Gray Lines bus tour. The bus got held up at the border check, behind some touring coaches, so we ran behind schedule all night, and it got dark before we finished the tour. So we visited the US side by rental car the next day and had a great time. Started out early on a Saturday, easy parking, no lines, by the time we left at noon the park was full so we timed it right. If I had it to do over, I'd have skipped the Canadian side by bus.

We also got down to the Buffalo Military and Naval Museum and did a walk thru of the cruiser, destroyer and sub.

We had a pretty good time over all. Liked Buffalo and the people. We'll go back some time and explore the Finger Lake region more.

BTW, on Sept 19, the Curtiss Museum will attempt to fly their Curtiss flying boat, the America. I hear it's quite a sight to see, too bad I'll miss it. Here's a video I found.

We left Buffalo yesterday, Sunday morning, and are now in New Haven, Ct for 10 days, with a side trip to Boston by car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back