Bucket pricing question/research

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eris

Lead Service Attendant
So, I fully understand bucket pricing. Or so I thought. What I don't understand, now, is actual pricing I see on the Amtrak site.

I'm looking at the Coast Starlight, Seattle to LAX. I put in 8 Adults, so I can study room availability.

On December 11, there are two family bedrooms available (and I've reserved one, so that's where the third is- there are typically three sleepers on the CS, from what I know), with a price of $368 (same price I just paid for the one I've got). On December 12, there are three family bedrooms available, $368. On January 8, there are three family bedrooms available: $713. January 8 seems well past what might be an overpriced holiday fare... why is the lowest bucket so much higher than what is available next week?

January 8 seems well past what might be an overpriced holiday fare... why is the lowest bucket so much higher than what is available next week?
Can you say, "tour group"?

Just a thought.

What does that mean? Why would that make the apparently lowest bucket for a family bedroom be twice what the first two of three rooms (at least) are next week?

New theory, from looking at pricing for the same thing through the spring and next summer- the price for the family bedroom is going way up. Three bedrooms available August 9, $713.

I don't understand "bucket pricing" for a family room! For things like coach, yes - once (say) 10 or 20 seats are sold, it goes to the next bucket. But for a family room (such as on the PDX section that only has 1 available on the train), once that family room is sold from CHI-PDX, how could it raise to the next bucket?

Even if only one room is available, they could still adjust the bucket for that room upward or downward until it's sold. It may not quite work the same way as regular sleepers (or coaches), where lower buckets sell out and then higher buckets become the fare, but it has to do with having fares programmed into the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back