Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that terminal certainly looks very nice.

Will the entrance / ticketing / waiting area be shared with Sunrail (if that extension ever gets built) or will they have a separate facility?

It is an airport terminal (Terminal C) that this station is attached to.
default_wink.png

Will the entrance / ticketing / waiting area be shared with Sunrail (if that extension ever gets built) or will they have a separate facility?
If I remember right, Sunrail will have separate station platforms and interior areas. Much like TriRail at Miami Central. I don't believe any Sunrail related infrastructure has been built at the ITF. That would include the approach embankment and bridge over the exit road from the garage.
As to being airport-like, I will take this over Washington DC or Newark, NJ or Penn Station NYC anyday! :)

If I remember right, Sunrail will have separate station platforms and interior areas. Much like TriRail at Miami Central. I don't believe any Sunrail related infrastructure has been built at the ITF. That would include the approach embankment and bridge over the exit road from the garage.
As to being airport-like, I will take this over Washington DC or Newark, NJ or Penn Station NYC anyday! :)
I get NYP, and I can sorta understand WAS. But NWK is one of the most beautiful stations I have ever seen. Whats wrong with you?

If I remember right, Sunrail will have separate station platforms and interior areas. Much like TriRail at Miami Central. I don't believe any Sunrail related infrastructure has been built at the ITF. That would include the approach embankment and bridge over the exit road from the garage.As to being airport-like, I will take this over Washington DC or Newark, NJ or Penn Station NYC anyday! :)
I get NYP, and I can sorta understand WAS. But NWK is one of the most beautiful stations I have ever seen. Whats wrong with you?
The main hall in Newark is very nice looking I agree, but the overall flow within the station is not good and the rest of the station leaves alot to be desired. To get to the train platforms from the waiting room is somewhat of a maze of passageways if you are not familiar with it. When I was there last in 2009, the signage was not the best. Also, and I know this is a local issue, there were alot of homeless people camped out in the station waiting room. Overall, I am responding to comments made saying that the ITF at Orlando is too sterile looking. Based on my experience at Newark I would much prefer the look and layout of the Orlando station.

Its not a maze of passageways at all. You can access all the tracks from the hallway leading right off the great hall, and everything is very well labeled. Sterility and open concourses have no geshmack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not a maze of passageways at all. You can access all the tracks from the hallway leading right off the great hall, and everything is very well labeled. Sterility and open concourses have no geshmack.
Delightful? Guess we will have to agree to disagree lol in my case, I transferred from PATH to both NJT and Amtrak at Newark, perhaps it is more straight forward if boarding NJT/Amtrak directly from the great hall.

Thanks for clarifying.

What makes a good station in my book is that its compact and that waiting and that those airport style long travellators and things are kept to a minimum. If I need to allow half an hour to get to the train, that negates much of the advantage of the train's speed.

Will Brightline have open platforms, or kindergarten walks?
Open platform. The ticket will have information about exactly where the door closest to you assigned seat will line up. You will be able to just go to that location when the boarding is called, which typically will be well ahead of the arrival.

Open platform. The ticket will have information about exactly where the door closest to you assigned seat will line up. You will be able to just go to that location when the boarding is called, which typically will be well ahead of the arrival.
If only Amtrak could figure that out...

But there will still be ticket barriers of some description, right? Or will platforms be genuinely open to all? That makes it easier when you're picking up or seeing off relatives. But the risk is that you also attract panhandlers and such.

IIRC, ticket barriers and security before you can get to the platform.
Ticket barrier and security before you get to the departure lounge, like at airports. you can go through the security barrier pretty much as long as you have a ticket for a train that day. There is no barrier between the lounges and food stalls and the platform(s).

In effect, the only check of ticket happens at the ticket barrier, like in many European systems. There will be customer service agents available to help anyone that needs help, but there will be no organization of boarding queues and such. Presumably people will learn to read the platform position on the ticket and match it with a similar mark on the platform edge to position themselves by the door closest to their assigned seat before the train arrives and after the boarding is called.

But there will still be ticket barriers of some description, right? Or will platforms be genuinely open to all? That makes it easier when you're picking up or seeing off relatives. But the risk is that you also attract panhandlers and such.
No. You have to have a ticket to get to the platform. Of course you could get to the platform by creatively trespassing, but I suspect that if you do that you'd be liable to be charged with trespassing.

Arrivals can be met at a meet and greet area just outside the security/ticket barriers.

I'd like to know as well, since I'd like to be able to plan to pop down for opening day...

(The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the security horse manure, which I expect to hold in more contempt than airport equivalents, particularly since anyone who wants to cause a "problem" merely needs to get a pickup truck or an SUV full of cement and get it in front of the train somewhere between Miami and either West Palm Beach or Cocoa...at least with airports there's a pretense of limited access to the airplanes at the origin and destination.)

With less than a week left this year, to even make that deadline, it'll be little more than "in name only".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back