Boulder strike delays NB Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chief

Lead Service Attendant
So I heard 14(11) struck a boulder south of Dunsmuir today and one of the P42's encountered air tank damage and had to be set out. That explains the 4.5+ hour delay.

Last month it was the snow/mudslide in Oregon.

Insert 2011 Empire Builder comparison joke here.

EDIT:

Delete red herring portion of OP. Would rather read about Coast Starlight woes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The man refused several of the employees’ requests to leave the premises and was told that he was interfering with their work. The subject of the complaint appeared to be a white male in his late 20s and mentally unstable. He told the employees he wanted to be admitted to a mental hospital.
Did I read that right? It's pretty damn sad if we're willing to tolerate a system which is so regressive and punitive that mentally challenged people must first commit serious crimes and risk potentially fatal harm in order to continue receiving mental help. That is seriously messed up in my view.

:(

The man refused several of the employees’ requests to leave the premises and was told that he was interfering with their work. The subject of the complaint appeared to be a white male in his late 20s and mentally unstable. He told the employees he wanted to be admitted to a mental hospital.
Did I read that right? It's pretty damn sad if we're willing to tolerate a system which is so regressive and punitive that mentally challenged people must first commit serious crimes and risk potentially fatal harm in order to continue receiving mental help. That is seriously messed up in my view.
Chris: Unfortunately what you say is True! :( (especially here in our State of Texas!)Most of the Mentally ill/Mentally retarted and "Homeless" people here in Austin hang out around the RailRoad Tracks since that is usually the part of town where people dont usually see! Hopefully we won't have to continue to see episodes like this involving Helpless and Unfortunate Souls, but the way the Budget Slashing and Poor People bashing is escelating in most places, I wouldnt bet on it! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the quoted portion of the last 2 posts were from the OP post that was edited by the OP himself. Either way, I do not see anyway that this goes along with the thread's subject of a boulder striking a P-42 resulting in an air leak!
blink.gif

Most of the Mentally ill/Mentally retarted and "Homeless" people here in Austin hang out around the RailRoad Tracks since that is usually the part of town where people dont usually see! Hopefully we won't have to continue to see episodes like this involving Helpless and Unfortunate Souls, but the way the Budget Slashing and Poor People bashing is escelating in most places, I wouldnt bet on it! :rolleyes:
It is not just Texas. It is everywhere in this country. A significant part of the issue is the decision some 40 to 50 years ago that keeping the mentally unstable in mental hospitals was a bad idea if they could at all be functional on the outside. "Deinstitutionalization" became the cry. It may have benefited some, but for many of the people put out it has been an outstanding example of the saying that, "The roadd to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back