BOS-PGH R/T

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimePeace

Disillusioned.
Looking at a trip to visit a friend near PGH, I'd take a regional BOS to PHL then the Pennsylvanian to PGH. It looks like I could get a business seat for $27 extra, for a 7+ hr ride - that almost sounds worth it, what do you think?

Someone please remind me what the scenery and attractions would be on the ride PHL to PGH and back? It has been a long time since I have done that one...

What kind of cars, and cafe car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Horseshoe Curve for starters ;) Yes, there is a cafe car onboard the Pennsy.

I was actually on the Pennsylvanian for the first time in my life recently on the trip to Philly, and I was very surprised by the amount of leg room there was in the coach class. So much more than on board the Keystones. No idea how it is in the business class, but I was very comfortable in the coach class. There are leg rests as well.

y6TWp8q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BC aboard the Pennsylvanian used to use the ex-Metroliner Club Cars with the 2x1 seating (like you find on the DE), but they were a victim of their own success. Now, BC uses the regular full BC car you find on the NEC! I personally don't think it's worth BC any longer. YMMV.

The last time I was on the Pennsylvanian it used the long distance coach seats which gives you alot of leg room.

As far as scenery and attractions from PHL to PGH, I can really only speak about the PHL to Harrisburg. You will pass the suburbs of Philly, the Amish farms and countryside with Strasburg Railroad, and the small cities Lancaster and Harrisburg in central PA. West of Harrisburg is more rural with mountains and horseshoe curve.

BC aboard the Pennsylvanian used to use the ex-Metroliner Club Cars with the 2x1 seating (like you find on the DE), but they were a victim of their own success. Now, BC uses the regular full BC car you find on the NEC! I personally don't think it's worth BC any longer. YMMV.
Hmmm. So it's 2x2 seats, just like in coach?

Soon after you leave Harrisburg, you will cross the Rockville bridge over the Susquehanna River.This is the longest stone arch railroad bridge in the world. You might catch a glimpse of the Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe.
Ahh ... "From the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe".... brings back more than a few memories. And I have driven by that brewery in a car but never seen it from the train. I will be looking!

Be aware that the Pennsylvanian, like the Palmetto, still have one Amfleet I coach with the more crowded seating. Since you are going 'all the way', they woulod probably guide you to the Amfleet II coaches. You can hope, anyway. This from our r/t on her in Jan. CJ

While it's the 2x2 BC seating on the Penny, I'd say do it because it's a good upgrade fare and lately when I've been in BC the sodas have been cold! :D For scenery sit on the left. I will say that BC is at times crowded on the Penny, But I've been on it where most of the seats are open. I think once I had trouble finding an empty seat. I ended up sitting at the Table for a short hop between PAO and PHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back