Boarding Times - Coast Starlight and California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AudenHoggart

We're taking the northbound Coast Starlight (stub train) out of Los Angeles a week from Monday. The following Thursday we're taking the California Zephyr eastbound from Emeryville. I know the departure times, but does anyone know when boarding begins?

I'm particularly interested in what time we should get to L.A. Union Station to get on the Coast Starlight and get good seats in the Sightseer Lounge.

Thanks.

We're taking the northbound Coast Starlight (stub train) out of Los Angeles a week from Monday. The following Thursday we're taking the California Zephyr eastbound from Emeryville. I know the departure times, but does anyone know when boarding begins?
I'm particularly interested in what time we should get to L.A. Union Station to get on the Coast Starlight and get good seats in the Sightseer Lounge.

Thanks.
Well, your post actually contains 2 questions. First, when do they begin boarding? In LAUPT it is whenever the trainset arrives usually. So, generally about 45 minutes to 30 minutes before scheduled departure. The second part of your question is a little different. You are not allowed to go into the Sightseer lounge until AFTER your tickets have been collected. So, this means, for the most part, it does not matter when you board in terms of getting a seat in the lounge.

The procedure I have seen for some trains is the conductor and assistant conductor work from back and front to middle. So if you sit at one end of the train, you are likely to get your ticket taken first- I don't know if the stub train has that level of staffing though.

While I can't say what they're currently doing with the stub train, generally, they try to sort people into cars by destination. So, you may not have much of a choice.

Are they running a Sightseer lounge with the stub train? I've seen it several times, but don't recall if it had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back