Boarding 66 in NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayman

Engineer
I'm planning to take 66 from New York to Providence this Thursday night/Friday morning. 66 dwells at NYP from 1:54 AM (scheduled arrival) to 3:15 AM (scheduled departure). Will I be able to board around 2 AM and fall asleep in my coach seat during the dwell time, or will I have to wait in the NYP waiting area until a boarding call at 3:10 AM? Obviously I'd prefer the former!

Also, scheduled arrival at PVD is 7:04 AM. Will the cafe car have opened by 6:30 AM or so, such that I might get coffee/juice/etc, or does it open after Providence (or does it open at all on 66)?

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually leaves NYP at 315am, and from past experience I have had to wait til about 3am to board the train even if its gets there early. If I am wrong let me know, but thats what happened the few times ive been on 66.

Jack

Cafe should open by 6:00 AM, and early boarding in NYP is very unlikely.
Just looked into things a bit further, and realized I could depart NYP southbound by NJT at 12:42, have a half hour layover at Newark from 1:00 to 1:30, then board 66 and get an extra almost two hours of sleep on board; and the NJT ticket is only $4.

Then I went back to amtrak.com and saw that in the past two hours, 66 got bumped a bucket from $54 to $76. I may be re-thinking this whole plan now... <_<

... then again, I don't really have a choice. None of Greyhound, BoltBus, or MegaBus have anything remotely "overnight" here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure, but the times I've taken #67 (BOS-KIN and KIN-WIL), I don't recall them saying anything like "The cafe will close at 12 and reopen at 6" - it may always be open. After all, #66 * #67 run only between about 10 PM and 7 AM and have many pickup stops!

Hmm. For $4 + $69 I could take NJT NYP-NWK, 66 NWK-PVD, and be in a coach seat asleep from 1:30 to 6:30 or so.

Or, for $109 I could take 2190 NYP-PVD but ticketed to BOS for the Acela City-Pair AGR. It's a very good AGR deal (with triple points). But it doesn't depart NYP until 6:20. If I'm a ticketed passenger, can I wait overnight in the Amtrak waiting area at NYP? Is it frowned upon if I nod off? Is this a profoundly bad idea? That area is restricted access to ticketed passengers, so it's in theory safer than other areas of NYP...

Hmm. For $4 + $69 I could take NJT NYP-NWK, 66 NWK-PVD, and be in a coach seat asleep from 1:30 to 6:30 or so.
Or, for $109 I could take 2190 NYP-PVD but ticketed to BOS for the Acela City-Pair AGR. It's a very good AGR deal (with triple points). But it doesn't depart NYP until 6:20. If I'm a ticketed passenger, can I wait overnight in the Amtrak waiting area at NYP? Is it frowned upon if I nod off? Is this a profoundly bad idea? That area is restricted access to ticketed passengers, so it's in theory safer than other areas of NYP...
I have a friend who once rode 67 from NYP to Washington. He said a security guard walked around the waiting area and woke up people who were sleeping while awaiting the train! I guess it was to make sure they weren't homeless types trying to sleep all night in the station.

If I'm a ticketed passenger, can I wait overnight in the Amtrak waiting area at NYP? Is it frowned upon if I nod off? Is this a profoundly bad idea?
Pretty easy to sleep right through your Train's departure, I should think. Nobody would have any idea of what Train you might be waiting for.

I'm not sure, but the times I've taken #67 (BOS-KIN and KIN-WIL), I don't recall them saying anything like "The cafe will close at 12 and reopen at 6" - it may always be open. After all, #66 * #67 run only between about 10 PM and 7 AM and have many pickup stops!
the cafe is closed from 5 minutes coming into new york until 5 minutes after it leaves.

Last edited:
Or you can save yourself $2.25 and take the Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) NYP-HOB-JSQ, change at JSQ, and ride into Newark. If you've never taken PATH before, its a cool way to cover more ground. Also, Hoboken is about the most beautiful station I have ever seen, although I am sure its closed that late at night.

I have a friend who once rode 67 from NYP to Washington. He said a security guard walked around the waiting area and woke up people who were sleeping while awaiting the train! I guess it was to make sure they weren't homeless types trying to sleep all night in the station.
That doesn't sound right. NYP is, among many other things, a generally accepted homeless shelter. They even have rules about when homeless people can be there or not.

Or you can save yourself $2.25 and take the Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) NYP-HOB-JSQ, change at JSQ, and ride into Newark. If you've never taken PATH before, its a cool way to cover more ground. Also, Hoboken is about the most beautiful station I have ever seen, although I am sure its closed that late at night.
Given that I will have had several beers by that point, I think the simpler NYP-NWK itinerary will work better for me :)

I booked NWK-PVD, then thought further and rebooked for NWK-BOS so I can just sleep straight to the bumper rather than having to worry about waking up for Providence. Also, the internet suggests there's no breakfast place in or near PVD. (Big mall with a food court, but the mall doesn't open until 10am.) So, between "early-boarding" in Newark and "sleeping to the end" in Boston, I might get a shade over six hours of sleep.

A slumbercoach would be nice, but I think I'll be too knackered to notice the difference while I'm drifting off!

Given that I will have had several beers by that point, I think the simpler NYP-NWK itinerary will work better for me :)

I booked NWK-PVD, then thought further and rebooked for NWK-BOS so I can just sleep straight to the bumper rather than having to worry about waking up for Providence. Also, the internet suggests there's no breakfast place in or near PVD. (Big mall with a food court, but the mall doesn't open until 10am.) So, between "early-boarding" in Newark and "sleeping to the end" in Boston, I might get a shade over six hours of sleep.

A slumbercoach would be nice, but I think I'll be too knackered to notice the difference while I'm drifting off!
When I took 66 last summer we had a huge amount of commuters hop on at PVD. I didn't get any sleep after PVD.

The conductors wake up everyone at PVD in preparation for the three Boston stops.

They usually wake you 15-30 minutes before your stop, so that makes sense. If you were going just to PVD, you would probably be woken around KIN.
Well, that's some extra sleep for my extended ride, at least, though less than I'd hoped for. And riding to BOS still has the big advantage of "I know South Station well, and I know it has plenty of food options". The interior photos of PVD I found suggested it's just a ticket counter and waiting room with no shops. No offense, Amtrak, but I'd rather eat at the station than in the AmCafe.

They usually wake you 15-30 minutes before your stop, so that makes sense. If you were going just to PVD, you would probably be woken around KIN.
Well, that's some extra sleep for my extended ride, at least, though less than I'd hoped for. And riding to BOS still has the big advantage of "I know South Station well, and I know it has plenty of food options". The interior photos of PVD I found suggested it's just a ticket counter and waiting room with no shops. No offense, Amtrak, but I'd rather eat at the station than in the AmCafe.
There is actually a cafe and one of those newsstand/convenience stores in the station. The station is also a short walk from downtown and right across the street from a large mall if you wanted something else.

Yeah BOS has some good food! Well that one bakery taht has some cookies and such. I had the M&M Cookie it was so good I had 2 more :eek: :lol: The AmCafe doesn't really do much for me in terms of breakfast selection.

There is actually a cafe and one of those newsstand/convenience stores in the station. The station is also a short walk from downtown and right across the street from a large mall if you wanted something else.
I looked at the mall's website last night, and unfortunately it doesn't open until 10am--not much help when my train gets in at 7 :( Good to know there's a cafe in the station--I didn't see a photo of it on TrainWeb amongst their station interior photos. I'll enjoy exploring Providence someday, but I think for this trip I'm just as well going with the breakfast I know by heart :)

Yeah BOS has some good food! Well that one bakery taht has some cookies and such. I had the M&M Cookie it was so good I had 2 more :eek: :lol: The AmCafe doesn't really do much for me in terms of breakfast selection.
Yeah, it's too bad about the cafe breakfasts--it's such a huge contrast with the diner breakfasts. Sure, every meal is a huge contrast. But I really love the diner breakfasts. Maybe in part because that's the meal I almost always eat at home, so eating breakfast out is more of a novelty? But I think they do it very well.

Anyway, yay! I'm excited about taking 66, despite all these little grumbles :) Intermodal overnight transit (SEPTA Lansdowne-PHL, BoltBus PHL-NYP, evening in NYC, NJT NYP-NWK, 66 NWK-BOS, MBTA BOS-Mansfield, Friday-Sunday in Mansfield, ??? Mansfield-Lansdowne)! "???" is probably "carpool with friends", but might wind up being last-minute train.

Yeah, it's too bad about the cafe breakfasts--it's such a huge contrast with the diner breakfasts. Sure, every meal is a huge contrast. But I really love the diner breakfasts. Maybe in part because that's the meal I almost always eat at home, so eating breakfast out is more of a novelty? But I think they do it very well.

Anyway, yay! I'm excited about taking 66, despite all these little grumbles :) Intermodal overnight transit (SEPTA Lansdowne-PHL, BoltBus PHL-NYP, evening in NYC, NJT NYP-NWK, 66 NWK-BOS, MBTA BOS-Mansfield, Friday-Sunday in Mansfield, ??? Mansfield-Lansdowne)! "???" is probably "carpool with friends", but might wind up being last-minute train.
Nothing compares to that Railroad French Toast! :rolleyes: I love it! :lol: The Cafe Car hasn't quite caught up to that, and it probably never will but given its the cafe not a diner it makes sense.

Sounds like a fun trip! Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back