Boarding 66 in NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing compares to that Railroad French Toast! :rolleyes: I love it! :lol:
Same here! :D
The amazing part is it tastes just as good in a diner-lite or a diner 71 days till I try it in a CCC :lol: :lol:
On my last trip, I just realized that I didn't even order it once. :( That means I have to take another trip soon! :p (Just to get some Railroad French Toast - of course! :D )
:eek: How are you going to have enough time since the SDL loophole was closed?? :lol:

The amazing part is it tastes just as good in a diner-lite or a diner 71 days till I try it in a CCC :lol: :lol:
On my last trip, I just realized that I didn't even order it once. :( That means I have to take another trip soon! :p (Just to get some Railroad French Toast - of course! :D )
:eek: How are you going to have enough time since the SDL loophole was closed?? :lol:
Because for every loophole that gets closed another two open!

And I found a substitute for me! :p ELP-CHI-WAS-BHM is only 15,000 points and 1 zone! :D

It's not as easy as the SDL loophole, but as long as I take an overnight Thruway :eek: from OKJ-SBA and then go coach :eek: to ELP, I can get from PDX cross country for 26,000 points + (because I have to purchase 2 segments) earn some more AGR points + have a free day in SAC (to go to the CSRR Museum :) ) + have 1/2 a day in LA! :)

I just may do it to save 9,000 points - for my next trip! :lol:

And I found a substitute for me! :p ELP-CHI-WAS-BHM is only 15,000 points and 1 zone! :D

It's not as easy as the SDL loophole, but as long as I take an overnight Thruway :eek: from OKJ-SBA and then go coach :eek: to ELP, I can get from PDX cross country for 26,000 points + (because I have to purchase 2 segments) earn some more AGR points + have a free day in SAC (to go to the CSRR Museum :) ) + have 1/2 a day in LA! :)

:lol: :lol: well then thats sums it up. you've got plenty of AGR loopholes up your sleeve then.

:lol: :lol: well then thats sums it up. you've got plenty of AGR loopholes up your sleeve then.
No, AGR just has plenty of loopholes in general.

I need to find me some....

It was closed? How can they do that if it is a legitimate routing? Was this discussed somewhere else that I missed?
I don't know that it was officially "closed" - it's just not available as a routing. SDL-WAS-CHI-PDX-LAX (via the EB and CS) can't be found online. The routing offered is SDL-WAS-CHI-LAX (via the SWC) only! :(

I need to find me some....
Have I got an offer for you! ***(slides open jacket to reveal many loopholes)*** :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Haha, noooo!!

Besides-- I can't use any loopholes yet. :( I'm close (but only just) to a one-zoner... no more.
Well then try The_Travelers Idea for a one zone grand slam:

I just hope when I stack enough AGR Points up the traveler will be kind enough to share his secrets so I can squeeze every last point to the max.

Hmm. For $4 + $69 I could take NJT NYP-NWK, 66 NWK-PVD, and be in a coach seat asleep from 1:30 to 6:30 or so.
Or, for $109 I could take 2190 NYP-PVD but ticketed to BOS for the Acela City-Pair AGR. It's a very good AGR deal (with triple points). But it doesn't depart NYP until 6:20. If I'm a ticketed passenger, can I wait overnight in the Amtrak waiting area at NYP? Is it frowned upon if I nod off? Is this a profoundly bad idea? That area is restricted access to ticketed passengers, so it's in theory safer than other areas of NYP...
I have a friend who once rode 67 from NYP to Washington. He said a security guard walked around the waiting area and woke up people who were sleeping while awaiting the train! I guess it was to make sure they weren't homeless types trying to sleep all night in the station.

From the several times I've "spent the night" in NYP's Amtrak/NJT waiting area, ticketed Amtrak passengers were left alone once they showed a valid Amtrak ticket for that day. Once, while connecting from Boston to the Maple Leaf out of NYP, I watched the guard wake up - then leave alone - an Amtrak passenger ticketed on the CZ to Salt Lake City (leaving like twelve hours later). They seemed pretty concerned with removing anyone who is not an Amtrak passenger after the last NJ Transit departure of the evening, but Amtrak folks are OK for the night. (One homeless fellow with a valid, undated NJT ticket was belligerent because he felt that being a "ticketed passenger" gave him the right to sleep there all night, but I digress.) The waiting area is hardly a restful location, with bright lights, armrests dividing banks of chairs, and loud elevator music at all hours (at least when I was there overnight a couple of years ago).

Sleeping on 66/67 is also a tall order. As others have said, northbound out of NYP, a lot of commuters get on in Rhode Island with monthly passes, keeping everyone awake and often taking up nearly all of the empty seats into Boston. Even if you have a row to yourself, the Amfleet I coach seats hardly recline and don't make for much of a night's rest. I'm 6'3" and find the legroom very poor in Amfleet I coach even for a day trip... so it was hard to get comfortable overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well not really, it is a CCC car, but it still operates as more or less as a regular dining car.
True but now I can say I've hit every food service car although I need to get back into a single level dinner since I have virtually no memory of one.

I just hope when I stack enough AGR Points up the traveler will be kind enough to share his secrets so I can squeeze every last point to the max.
It will cost you! :ph34r:

I need some extra points for my next trip ... and next trip ... and next trip ... and ...! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Well right now I have 2,250 AGR points how do I get into a sleeper :lol:

First, to prove your honest (I'm not :ph34r: ), put 2,000 AGR points in small unmarked chips :D in a brown paper envelope and leave it in the trash can on the platform of the Amtrak station ... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
First, to prove your honest (I'm not :ph34r: ), put 2,000 AGR points in small unmarked chips :D in a brown paper envelope and leave it in the trash can on the platform of the Amtrak station ... :lol:

:lol: :lol: That sounds safe... I called AGR about getting my points converted I got transfered to a supervisor they said there not sure what I mean :lol: :lol:

Sleeping on 66/67 is also a tall order. As others have said, northbound out of NYP, a lot of commuters get on in Rhode Island with monthly passes, keeping everyone awake and often taking up nearly all of the empty seats into Boston. Even if you have a row to yourself, the Amfleet I coach seats hardly recline and don't make for much of a night's rest. I'm 6'3" and find the legroom very poor in Amfleet I coach even for a day trip... so it was hard to get comfortable overnight.
Thanks for the reminder about the Amfleet Is, Anthony. It almost changed my plans, but in the end the convenience of scheduling won out. It too me forever to get comfortable, even having a seat-pair (I'm 5'10")--the entire dwell time at NYP. I had my coat for a pillow and my travel blanket, but it took over an hour to realize the coat was too hard as a pillow and the blanket too warm... ditching the coat and using the blanket as pillow worked well. Or maybe I sleep better to the rhythm of the rails than standing in a station.

Five beers and a nip of Scotch is apparently enough for me to sleep soundly anywhere once I get to sleep--I woke up on a completely empty train sitting at the bumper in BOS!!!!!

I will be first in line for a roomette when they get Viewliners on there again!

Thanks for the reminder about the Amfleet Is, Anthony. It almost changed my plans, but in the end the convenience of scheduling won out. It too me forever to get comfortable, even having a seat-pair (I'm 5'10")--the entire dwell time at NYP. I had my coat for a pillow and my travel blanket, but it took over an hour to realize the coat was too hard as a pillow and the blanket too warm... ditching the coat and using the blanket as pillow worked well. Or maybe I sleep better to the rhythm of the rails than standing in a station.

Five beers and a nip of Scotch is apparently enough for me to sleep soundly anywhere once I get to sleep--I woke up on a completely empty train sitting at the bumper in BOS!!!!!

Glad to hear you got some sleep. Suprised they didn't wake you up before BOS though.

Glad to hear you got some sleep. Suprised they didn't wake you up before BOS though.
I'm surprised he slept through the detraining.

Hangover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back