beds normally made during dinner? seems early

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm DePlume

If dinner is 5-8pm, and the SCA typically makes the beds while one is out of the room, that seems awfully early to turn in for the night. Will he/she be unhappy if we want it done at (say) 11pm?

I guess the SCA needs to work around what passengers want, but they can't do all beds at the same time, so both SCA and passengers need to be flexible. It is easier for them to work if the room is free of passengers, so dinner time is a common practice. You can make up the beds yourself if you want to, just watch your fingers! I guess 11pm might be a little on the late side, you can always have the beds made up earlier and still sit or recline on them without having to turn in.

Ed :cool:

If dinner is 5-8pm, and the SCA typically makes the beds while one is out of the room, that seems awfully early to turn in for the night. Will he/she be unhappy if we want it done at (say) 11pm?
It has been the same when we on a cruise. We come back from dinner, and our beds are turned down, there are chocolate mints, and a towel animal.

However, such does not mean you have to go to bed immediately after dinner.

On Amtrak, I usually just tell the SCA that I will do our beds myself. Typically, I already have the top bunk down as a play area for my kid. And I convert the seats to my own bed whenever I feel I'm getting tired. Its not all that difficult to do.

I am sure if you tell the SCA to skip your room, they will not mind. From my own experience, though, the SCA might not be easily available come 11pm.

When traveling by Viewliners, I have the upper berth bed made up almost as soon as feasible after getting on board, and leave it as such until a little before the end of the journey. That way I can go up and curl up in bed and watch the scenery go by whenever I want, or sit in the seat and work or read or whatever, whenever I want. And the SCA is free to serve others at more normal times.

On Superliners it is usually much after dinner that I have them make the bed say around 9pm or so.

almost all of our trips are overnighters and I have never had an SCA suggest making up our bed at dinner time unless we were unfortunate enough to get the last dinner seating. Even the few that would never win awards for great customer service have simply said "what time would you like me to make up your bed?"

My experience. and I have a lot, is that they make up the bed while you are at breakfast It is about 9 or 10 pm when they start asking to make up the bed at night;

My experience is same as "Ryan". The SCA always has asked when I want the bed set up and return to daytime setting. I just returned from riding the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and Southwest Chief in July/August and never was my bed made while I was in the diner. The SCA made the beds at time I requested. Of course, I was in either roomette 002 or 003 on each of the trains. Tanner on Empire Builder was the best. But Coast Starlight SCA was worst and did not make any beds up in the morning as he was sleeping in his room until about 10am.

Just discuss it with the SCA!

As some point they want to go to bed themselves (possibly earlier than you) so, there's two ways to do it: 1)The SCA does it at some point before the end of his day or, 2) Do it yourself when you're ready (have him show you if you don't already know).

I'm looking at this issue from another angle....

Next time I'm in a bedroom, I'm going to ask the SCA to make up my bed when I go have dinner.

Nothing like going to sleep immediately after a big hearty meal. :) (yes, pigging out is one of the perks of being on vacation, is it not?)

This is why I enjoy traveling solo in the Viewliner Roomette. I use the Upper Deck for Sleeping and keep the Lower Level set up as a Lounge, hence a 2 story Suite. And when the Lounge is being used I raise the bed to the middle notch to give more headroom. Now if I can only figure out how to get a Kitchen in there.......

This is why I enjoy traveling solo in the Viewliner Roomette. I use the Upper Deck for Sleeping and keep the Lower Level set up as a Lounge, hence a 2 story Suite. And when the Lounge is being used I raise the bed to the middle notch to give more headroom. Now if I can only figure out how to get a Kitchen in there.......
Ditto! The only way to Roll in a Viewliner Roomette! ;) (And I'm not one that minds the Sink and Toliet being in the Room!)

Now if I can only figure out how to get a Kitchen in there.......
are the AC outlet in the bedrooms capable of 500 watts? :D

how about something like this? :D $29 on Amazon.

81G7KWuE9iL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually take trains that have an extended stop between 9 and 11. They make the bed when I am out stretching my legs. Never been approached about making up the bed while at dinner. I always put away the bed in the morning since we usually need the room for us to get ready.

I also have no problem making my own bed as I am able to do so and understand that those customers who may need assistance require more service.

I can't believe I never thought about this before, but what about dinner in bed? I saw the SCA bring dinner to someone in a roomette before.

I've never been a fan of breakfast in bed. However, dinner in bed is an idea I can get onboard with! :D

Aloha

I always let the SCA turn the room while I am at breakfast or dinner. My reason is it is convenient for him and I go to the lounge untill I am ready to sleep or make lunch reservation if lunch is by reservation Also seeing the sites and meeting people is much easier in the lounge.

I have had one SCA insist I specifically ask and wait in the hall while he did it. I hate that because my knees hurt real bad when I stand still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic:

General health rule is not to eat a big meal right before bedtime. It goes straight to your waist line.

You should eat 2 hours before bedtime.

Good goal, if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back