Bedroom E In Car 0430 --SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabbytony

Train Attendant
Taking the SWC in October from LAX to CHI. Have Bedroom E In Car 0430. First of all I don't know what the numbers mean, and second is this a decent sleeper? Is it at the front of the train or located further back.

Thanks

Tony

just stayed in bedroom E on the Sunset Limited in the end of june Train 0130 and 0230 and it was great, its bigger than the rest of the bedrooms and right next to the stairs and coffee machine. also 0430 should be right behind the transdorm which would make it the second superliner car

Bedroom E is the most preferred of most AU members! You got lucky! :cool: Car 0430 is the Sleeping Car you will be in. It's the Sleeping car next to the dining car! At LAX get a Red Cap and tip them what you feel is fair. I feel $5 is fair. They will get you to the train before they start boarding! :cool: They will take you to the car you're in. You might have to wait for the SCA to open the door but if your lucky the SCA will be there to greet you!

Have a great trip!

just stayed in bedroom E on the Sunset Limited in the end of june Train 0130 and 0230 and it was great, its bigger than the rest of the bedrooms and right next to the stairs and coffee machine. also 0430 should be right behind the transdorm which would make it the second superliner car
Keep in mind that the SL has I believe one Sleeper. The SWC has two or three depending on season so 0430 won't be behind the transdorm. 0430 will for sure be behind the diner.

Bedroom E is the same size as bedrooms B, C & D. It is a bit larger than A.

430 is the sleeper just in front of the dining car. The SWC only runs with two sleepers and one transition sleeper. It would actually be the third Superliner car.

Bedroom E is the same size as bedrooms B, C & D. It is a bit larger than A.

430 is the sleeper just in front of the dining car. The SWC only runs with two sleepers and one transition sleeper. It would actually be the third Superliner car.
So are the Sleepers on the SWC still upfront?? After the Accident in Nevada where the Zephyr had its Sleepers in the back I'm wondering if they've gone back to running them in the Front? Know the Eagles/Sunset do (with the exception of the cutout Sleeper to/from LAX on #421/#422) as well as the Cap Ltd,CONO and the Newly Started Empire Builder :) (with the PDX Sleeper and Coaches on the Rear)! Clarification would be appreciated! Amtrak seems to be playing Sleeper?Sleeper? Where's the Sleeper? :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
The SWC has them on the front. The CZ, I believe, only puts sleepers on the rear during the summer while they are running the Denver sleeper.

The SWC has them on the front. The CZ, I believe, only puts sleepers on the rear during the summer while they are running the Denver sleeper.
Thanks for the Info! :cool: (this must be New?Last year when I rode the CZ to SAC in July there was a Denver Sleeper on the rear but the Rest of the Sleepers and Transdorm were on the Front!) I havent been out West yet this year, hoping by August everything will be back to Semi-Normal out that way even if the Trains will be Crowded and High Bucket! :rolleyes: (I am one who prefers the Sleepers on the front of the Train, the Tail wagging is not conducive to a good ride IMO!)

A transdorm is a transitional dorm, where one end had the door at the Superliner height, and is also the crew quarters but they also have 1/2 of the upper level that is sold as revenue roomettes. The other end had a door on the lower level. This is so the Conductor can enter the baggage car prior to a stop and prepare those bags to get off at that next stop prior to the stop.

I just booked our trip and was given E and traded it for A. Was that mistake? Anyone stay in bedroom A on the Superliners? I mainly liked that is was at the end, and without a room that could be opened to make a suite (does E do that?). Please let me know. If I want to change, I can do it later today! With A, I was a little concerned that the toilet/shower was right at the door, too...

Bedroom E is the most preferred of most AU members! You got lucky! :cool: Car 0430 is the Sleeping Car you will be in. It's the Sleeping car next to the dining car! At LAX get a Red Cap and tip them what you feel is fair. I feel $5 is fair. They will get you to the train before they start boarding! :cool: They will take you to the car you're in. You might have to wait for the SCA to open the door but if your lucky the SCA will be there to greet you!

Have a great trip!

I just booked our trip and was given E and traded it for A. Was that mistake? Anyone stay in bedroom A on the Superliners? I mainly liked that is was at the end, and without a room that could be opened to make a suite (does E do that?). Please let me know. If I want to change, I can do it later today! With A, I was a little concerned that the toilet/shower was right at the door, too...

Have a great trip!
Switch back to Bedroom E ASAP if you can! :excl: A is the smallest of the Bedrooms, and is the farthest from the Coffee/Stairs etc. Since the Bathroom/Shower Door is situated facing out it makes it hard to get into the Stall, also the Sink cant be reached when the Beds are down! Its on the very end of the Car next to the door and if youre next to the TransDorm or another sleeper you will hear the door opening and closing as well as the horn will sound louder if your sleeper is hooked up with the Bedrooms towards the Headend!

Switch back to Bedroom E ASAP if you can! :excl: A is the smallest of the Bedrooms, and is the farthest from the Coffee/Stairs etc. Since the Bathroom/Shower Door is situated facing out it makes it hard to get into the Stall, also the Sink cant be reached when the Beds are down! Its on the very end of the Car next to the door and if youre next to the TransDorm or another sleeper you will hear the door opening and closing as well as the horn will sound louder if your sleeper is hooked up with the Bedrooms towards the Headend!
That is a bit on an exaggeration. There isn’t really anything wrong with Bedroom A. It is just arranged differently. Some people actually like the different arrangement.

That may be, but I avoid Bedroom A if at all possible.
ohmy.gif
I do have Bedroom A on a trip this October - but the only reason I accepted it was that it was the very last room available on the train!
tongue.gif

HERE is a diagram of the Superliner rooms and HERE is a diagram of the trans-dorm rooms. Passenger (revenue) rooms are #17-24 and crew rooms are #1-8 in the trans-dorm.

ohmy.gif
I do have Bedroom A on a trip this October - but the only reason I accepted it was that it was the very last room available on the train!
tongue.gif

HERE is a diagram of the Superliner rooms and HERE is a diagram of the trans-dorm rooms. Passenger (revenue) rooms are #17-24 and crew rooms are #1-8 in the trans-dorm.
Which brings up the Question: What happens in the Transdorm when there are more than 8 Crew members working the Train such as on the Empire Builder, (expanded Food Service Crew, more Coaches, sometimes 2 LSAs in the Lounge etc.) Do they go into Rooms #17-#24 with Revenue Pax not allowed, or do they mix like on the Viewliners???

Keep in mind that the SL has I believe one Sleeper. The SWC has two or three depending on season so 0430 won't be behind the transdorm. 0430 will for sure be behind the diner.
Not quite true. Trains #421 and #422 to/from LAX have 1 sleeper. Trains #1 and #2 to/from NOL have another 2-3 sleepers.

ohmy.gif
tongue.gif

Which brings up the Question: What happens in the Transdorm when there are more than 8 Crew members working the Train such as on the Empire Builder, (expanded Food Service Crew, more Coaches, sometimes 2 LSAs in the Lounge etc.) Do they go into Rooms #17-#24 with Revenue Pax not allowed, or do they mix like on the Viewliners???
I don't know. I only make up answers as they come along!
mosking.gif
(Not true.)

I really don't know. Maybe they do occupy rooms 17-24 also. Anybody know for sure?
huh.gif

ohmy.gif
tongue.gif

Amtrak adjusts how many rooms are sold to passengers, typically on the EB only 4 are sold in the dorm because of the larger crew size.

Of course between Portland & Spokane, the crew does get rooms in the only sleeper reducing availability to passengers for that leg. East of Spokane train #28's crew is in the dorm.

I just got off my first trip in a bedroom - I had A and B for different legs of the trip. As others have said, I'd highly recommend avoiding bedroom A. Bedroom A was noticeably smaller than the other bedrooms - it has far less floor space to move around in. Bedrooms B-E, on the other hand, are pretty much the same.

On the other hand, one of the biggest factors to me was the quality of the bedrooms themselves. I really liked the refurbished Superliner I cars - they look better, and my wife and I both found the folding seat in the refurbished bedroom to be quite comfortable. On the other hand, the seat in the non-refurbished car was as hard as a rock and completely uncomfortable. All things being equal, I might take bedroom A in a refurbished car over one of the other bedrooms in a non-refurbished car. However, since you can't plan for that, I'd stick with bedrooms B-E.

I'd say it depends on how noisy your neighbors are. The door between the suitable rooms doesn't offer much insulation from crying babies and loud portable electronics. We found bedroom A to be just fine for 2 people and it was much quieter than the other bedrooms we have been in.

So are the Sleepers on the SWC still upfront?? After the Accident in Nevada where the Zephyr had its Sleepers in the back I'm wondering if they've gone back to running them in the Front? Know the Eagles/Sunset do (with the exception of the cutout Sleeper to/from LAX on #421/#422) as well as the Cap Ltd,CONO and the Newly Started Empire Builder :) (with the PDX Sleeper and Coaches on the Rear)! Clarification would be appreciated! Amtrak seems to be playing Sleeper?Sleeper? Where's the Sleeper? :help:
Gotta ask, why is it that the Zephyr runs with the sleepers in the rear? Our last trip we were on the Cardinal, SWC, CS, and the CZ, and the Zephyr was the only one to have the sleepers in the rear. When I mentioned that to the SCA he said that the Zephyr is unique in that. I asked why and he said it was the orders of the CEO, and that the CEO had good reasons, but wouldn't elaborate. Not sure if he couldn't or if he was just busy at that point. Anyone know what those good reasons might be?

Gotta admit when we got to CHI late we were at the back of the line at the customer help center because coach was closer to the station when we pulled in. :angry:

I think they only do it in the summer when they have a Chicago-Denver sleeper. I guess it is easier to take it off the rear so they just put them all on the rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back