Bedroom Buckets on LD Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattN

I need the low buckets on bedrooms for these trains CS,EB,Cardinal,Capitol Limited, LSL,Silver Meteor,Crescent, and Sunset Limited

I am planning to travel in mid June and a little bit of July are the buckets high because it is summer?

I need the low buckets on bedrooms for these trains CS,EB,Cardinal,Capitol Limited, LSL,Silver Meteor,Crescent, and Sunset Limited

I am planning to travel in mid June and a little bit of July are the buckets high because it is summer?
Try this:

https://creditcontrolservice.sslpowered.com/amSnag/amSnag.php

It should show the lowest bucket prices for the trips you want to take.
Can you write them down because i can't read the chart correctly

I doubt that any of the lower buckets for Bedrooms would be available at that time--Roomettes, maybe a few at this point. You may try early June, before the end of schools for a better chance.

The western trains have more rooms for sell. June is high in peak time travel. When I rode both the Caridnal and the Lake shore roomettes were going for 500 dollers outside my budget for a ten day trip.

Please forgive me for hijacking a thread, but I am very new to the rail travel. I see the term "bucket" used often, both high, and low referances. Can someone please explain what the "bucket" terminology is all about. Thanks,---

Please forgive me for hijacking a thread, but I am very new to the rail travel. I see the term "bucket" used often, both high, and low referances. Can someone please explain what the "bucket" terminology is all about. Thanks,---
Instead of buckets, think of different fare levels. A certain number of seats (or rooms) are priced at one level (bucket), others at another level (another bucket), others at another, etc.

As far as the Capitol Limited goes, I try to take an annual trip in early December so I've been looking a few times a month 11 months out. This year the low bucket roomette price ($125.00) stayed in effect until two weeks ago for a trip that was to begin on 12/3/10.

As stated here many times, if you plans are flexible book as early as possible and play with the departure dates to find the best deal.

Another way to think of buckets is (and these are not the exact numbers but you get the idea) that seats #1-#25 are in the first (or low) bucket, seats #26-#42 are in the next bucket, etc ... When ever seat #25 is sold, that bucket is full. so they have to use a new bucket - and a higher fare.

Unlike airlines where the price rises on a certain day (30 day advance purchase, 21 day advance, 14 day advance, etc...), Amtrak fares rise only when that seat is sold. Thus you could find that a train in 3 months (that has 37 seats sold) is priced higher than tomorrow's train (which has only 15 seats sold)!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back