Bay Bridge Closed Labor Day Weekend

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DowneasterPassenger

Lead Service Attendant
Announced on 711: SF Bay Bridge closed Labor Day weekend for construction. No Thruway service provided from Emeryville to SF. SJ and CC passengers asked to take BART from RIC. Not sure what will be arranged for CZ and CS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Announced on 711: SF Bay Bridge closed Labor Day weekend for construction. No Thruway service provided from Emeryville to SF. SJ and CC passengers asked to take BART from RIC. Not sure what will be arranged for CZ and CS.
Aloha

Then may I sugest going to Oakland its only 3 blocks to the ferry, and that ride into SF is so nice.

Oakland only works if your train actually goes there. The CZ never gets to Oakland.
I think CZ has a Thruway connection to OKJ which would be unaffected by the bridge closure. The problem then would be, probably arriving too late to catch the last ferry.

Oakland only works if your train actually goes there. The CZ never gets to Oakland.
I think CZ has a Thruway connection to OKJ which would be unaffected by the bridge closure. The problem then would be, probably arriving too late to catch the last ferry.
Weekend evening departures from Oakland are at 4:00, 5:45, 7:20, 8:55 and 10:30.

Weekday evening departures from Oakland are at 4:40, 5:50, 6:20, 6:55, 7:55 and 8:55.

Unless the Zeph is way late, there should be a ferry to S.F. after it arrives at EMY (or, more importantly, the bus gets into OKJ).

Aloha

Both points are good forgot about the time of Arrival of the CZ and the Ferry schedule. Was/is there a nearby Bart connection to the Emerville Station, I don't recall one?

Was/is there a nearby Bart connection to the Emerville Station, I don't recall one?
Richmond.

The connection works very fine with all the Capitol and San Joaquin trains,

but unfortunately the CZ doesn't stop there.

Was/is there a nearby Bart connection to the Emerville Station, I don't recall one?
Richmond.

The connection works very fine with all the Capitol and San Joaquin trains,

but unfortunately the CZ doesn't stop there.

There is a weird spot where 4 out of 5 BART lines pass right over the UP tracks in Oakland, with no connection. According to what I've been told, after the 1989 earthquake, there was a proposal to build a station to connect BART to Amtrak there in West Oakland. From there it would be a one-stop BART ride to downtown San Francisco. But the city of Oakland preferred to develop the Jack London area, and decided to locate its station there. So now, all you can do is ride Amtrak underneath BART and watch the BART trains fly over.

I think I saw signs for the CS and CZ saying that the Thruways from EMY and OKJ are cancelled, but they will have Thruways from MTZ! ;)
I believe the MTZ Thruways go to the North Bay and are thus unaffected by the Bay Bridge closure.

Looks like the CZ's bus to San Francisco will depart from Martinez. Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin's will have busses departing from Emeryville.

I figure this based on information from the Amtrak website. I looked up tickets during the time of the closure and these bus deviations were shown.

The long distance Amtrak services - the Zephyr and the Starlight - will have Thruway buses between all San Francisco stops and Martinez. The bus ride should take about 90 minutes, depending on traffic. New arrival and departure times are in Arrow and on Amtrak.com.

The Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin Amtrak California services will not have cross-bay Thruway bus service. Westbound passengers holding connecting Thruway tickets to SF will be given free BART tickets on the trains and will transfer to BART at Richmond. Upon arrival at the BART Embarcadero station in SF, Thruway buses will pick up Amtrak passengers at the adjacent Hyatt hotel Thruway stop (SFF) and will make stops at the Ferry Building and the Wharf only.

Eastbound, passengers can take the bus from the Wharf to the Ferry Building (where BART tickets will be distributed) and then to the Hyatt stop where they will transfer to BART for the trip to Richmond.

Zephyr and Starlight

Capitols and San Joaquins

You can still book trips on the Capitols and San Joaquins showing bus connections at Emeryville to and from San Francisco. However, that is just a mechanism to issue Thruway tickets for conversion to free BART tickets. During the bridge closure, Thruway buses will not operate between Emeryville and San Francisco.

Haven't they done this every summer during one of the holiday weekends the last few years?

Buses from MTZ will probably go into San Francisco via the Richmond-San Rafael and Golden Gate Bridges. Its a bit of a circuitous trip, but without any direct connection to BART as an alternative, it's probably the best they can do.

If I were affected by this, I'd just get off the train at Emeryville and take a cab to a BART station rather than go for a bus ride. There are at least 3 BART stops an inexpensive ride away. Or just take the free Emery-go-round shuttle -

http://www.emerygoround.com/

Which does not run on Labor Day itself.Coming in over the Golden Gate Bridge is pretty darn scenic, and that could be ticked off of a tourist checklist.

If I were affected by this, I'd just get off the train at Emeryville and take a cab to a BART station rather than go for a bus ride. There are at least 3 BART stops an inexpensive ride away. Or just take the free Emery-go-round shuttle -http://www.emerygoround.com/

Which does not run on Labor Day itself.Coming in over the Golden Gate Bridge is pretty darn scenic, and that could be ticked off of a tourist checklist.
Great point about the Golden Gate since that view of The City,as they call themselves is pretty nice!Lots to be said for the ferries too if one prefers the water route!Ive done both and they are great,the Bay Bridge is a bridge,probably too expensive but a convient way to get across the bay when theres no earthquakes or it isnt closed!(Gertrude Stein said about Oakland: "Theres no there,there!") :lol:

There was a plan to implement ferry service, but I don't think it ever made it.

A Martinez to San Francisco ferry route would cover about 28 nautical miles.

Travel time would be between 55 and 60 minutes.

Haven't they done this every summer during one of the holiday weekends the last few years?
They did it in 2007, but not last year.

This year's work is a very big deal. Over the holiday weekend they are going to roll out a 300 foot section of the double-deck bridge on the east side of Yerba Buena Island, and then roll-in a new section to temporarily relocate the roadway clear of the future replacement bridge. There's lots of info, and some great animations at:

http://baybridgeinfo.org/1/index.html

They did it in 2007, but not last year.

This year's work is a very big deal. Over the holiday weekend they are going to roll out a 300 foot section of the double-deck bridge on the east side of Yerba Buena Island, and then roll-in a new section to temporarily relocate the roadway clear of the future replacement bridge. There's lots of info, and some great animations at:

http://baybridgeinfo.org/1/index.html
They also did it in 2006.

There was a plan to implement ferry service, but I don't think it ever made it.
A Martinez to San Francisco ferry route would cover about 28 nautical miles.

Travel time would be between 55 and 60 minutes.
There is a ferry service from Vallejo to San Francisco. Unfortunately, that would still require a bus ride from Martinez.

Although the installation of the detour span is going fine, a separate inspection of the bridge found a cracked eye-bar, which will have to be fixed before the bridge can be reopened. This may push the closure past the scheduled reopening early Tuesday morning.

I would have thought that the closure was planned with some padding built into the time, i.e., that the 5 a.m. Tuesday opening was meant for worst-case scenarios, with the possibility that the bridge, if all went as planned, would open a few hours sooner.

Which brings up the question: I s the Golden Gate inspected as often and when is it closed for maintence?I prefer the ferries myself when in the Bay Area but this raises the subject again about our neglected/crumbling roadways and bridges

AND RAIL LINES!!! Hope the inspectors are checking the trestles and bridges correctly and often!Also good use of stimulus funds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back