Bay Bridge Closed Labor Day Weekend

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which brings up the question: I s the Golden Gate inspected as often and when is it closed for maintence?I prefer the ferries myself when in the Bay Area but this raises the subject again about our neglected/crumbling roadways and bridgesAND RAIL LINES!!! Hope the inspectors are checking the trestles and bridges correctly and often!Also good use of stimulus funds!!!
Here's a history of GG bridge improvements.

Here's the Maintenance & Operations page, giving you an idea of what goes on from day to day.

I would have thought that the closure was planned with some padding built into the time, i.e., that the 5 a.m. Tuesday opening was meant for worst-case scenarios, with the possibility that the bridge, if all went as planned, would open a few hours sooner.
That was for the scheduled work, which probably will be done on time.
The full closure is an ideal window for normal maintenance and inspections, which can be done without interference from or to traffic. During the inspection, the cracked eye-bar was found. Repair of an eye-bar was not in the schedule, nor were they prepared for it so it may not be done by Tuesday. This is a "show-stopper" failure -- if found at any time, it would have closed the bridge on its own. It's one of several redundant components, so a break will not bring the bridge down ala I-35W in Minneapolis. But it reduces the safety margin.

Latest is that they have procured parts which are on site now, but they have to be welded over the crack 150 feet in the air, which will take some rigging.

The San Francisco Chronicle has a picture of the crack along with an article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per 511.org

Amtrak (Capitol Corridor and other routes) On Tuesday, September 8, Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin passengers travelling across the Bay can transfer to/from BART at the Richmond station. Capitol Corridor motorcoach buses will operate within San Francisco, however, connecting buses will serve only the Hyatt Bus stop (on Drumm at the Hyatt Regency Hotel), Pier 39, and the Ferry Building Station (located at 101 Embarcadero at Mission St).

For Amtrak long distance Coast Starlight and California Zephyr routes, a shuttle bus service between the San Francisco and Martinez Amtrak stations will be available.

Bay Bridge will OPEN 7AM TUESDAY

Current Status (as of 6:15 a.m., 9/8/09)

The Bay Bridge is scheduled to OPEN at 7 a.m. TUESDAY, September 8 following the successful completion of crucial seismic safety work and repair of the crack in the East Span. Traffic will be rerouted onto a new detour structure just east of the Yerba Buena Island tunnel. Motorists are advised that there are two new S-curves to navigate in this area, and the speed limit has been lowered to 40 miles per hour.

Bay Bridge will OPEN 7AM TUESDAY
Current Status (as of 6:15 a.m., 9/8/09)

The Bay Bridge is scheduled to OPEN at 7 a.m. TUESDAY, September 8 following the successful completion of crucial seismic safety work and repair of the crack in the East Span. Traffic will be rerouted onto a new detour structure just east of the Yerba Buena Island tunnel. Motorists are advised that there are two new S-curves to navigate in this area, and the speed limit has been lowered to 40 miles per hour.
You know, we'd solve a lot of traffic problems here in the SF Bay Area if they'd only connected one end of the new section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back