Baseball and Trains and Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
I came up with an idea the other day at work and wondered how workable it might be. A friend of mine at work said it sounds like a blast: So....living in Lincoln NE we could possibly hit a Husker baseball game at Haymarket Park about 3 blocks from Amtrak on a Saturday night or Saltdogs (Independent baseball American Association of Independent Baseball) then

Depart LNK-DEN for the Rockies and snag a roomette. Rockies game start at 1pm on Sundays, depart DEN at 7:30pm and head on the CZ to Chicago to be used as a base for all of this

Sat: LNK, Sun: DEN, Mon:Cubs or White Sox, Tues: Indianapolis, Wed:Milwaukee, Thu:Twins, Fri: St. Paul Saints Sat: Fargo/Morehead. Yes, to pull all of this off would need either trips via Mega Bus or rental cars. So, to get all of this to work teams would all have to be home etc. So, what other teams are outside of Chicago but close enough for train travel (first) or by Mega Bus? I know Gary IN has a team in the AAoIB. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reno Aces minor league team stadium is short walk from Reno, NV station.

Been to 40 minor league stadiums from the Lansing Lugnuts to Lakeland, FL Tigers to so many more.

The Joliet Jackhammers... oh, they went bankrupt last year. A shame, as they played right next to the Joliet depot. You could take the South Shore line to South Bend to see the Silver Hawks, a Class A team in the Diamondbacks organization.

La Crosse, Wisconsin has the Loggers, a collegiate summer league team.

Thinking about it, there are several other teams on the California Zephyr route. What about the Omaha Royals Storm Chasers or the Burlington, Iowa Bees? Going the other direction, there are the Reno Aces and the Salt Lake City Bees, both AAA teams.

The St Louis Cardinals are not far from the St Louis Amtrak Station - and Metro link brings them even closer

In Philly get off the train at 30th street then hop the Market Frankford Line to 15th Street hop the free connection to the Broad Street Subway and that will take you to the Sports Complex where the Phillies, Eagles, Sixers, and Flyers play! Overall it should take no more then 30 minutes and will cost you your Amtrak fare to get to Philly then $2 for the subway each way. If there is a game my advice is to follow the crowd. But it's best to follow the signs for the Broad Street Subway.

If you have money to spend, you can go to the Mets game. Take LIRR directly from NYP, take Port Washington branch and you should stop very close to Citi Field.

If you want to go to the Yankees game, find a way to transfer to 4 or D train from 1,2 or 3 (trains that stop at NYP) and go all the way to Yankee Stadium. Or go to Grand Central however you can and take Metro North. Hudson Line I think.

Joliet Jackhammers have been reborn as the Joliet Slammers. They play at Silver Cross Field, adjacent to Joliet Union Station, reachable by Metra and Amtrak.

Gary South Shore Railcats play at U.S. Steel Yard, near the South Shore station in Gary.

Journey out to the west coast. The Amtrak station in Anaheim is IN the Anaheim Stadium parking lot.

San Diego has easy trolley service from Santa Fe Depot.

Oakland and SF are also pretty easy.

The Toledo Mud Hens. The Hens don't play where they played when I lived in the area. There's a new (at least relatively new) ballpark in Toledo. I have no idea how close the new park is to the Amtrak station, but it has to be closer than the old place was.

I don't believe that many baseball teams take Amtrak but the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team does when they play the NY Rangers in Madison Square garden. Madison Square Garden was built atop of the old Pennsylvania Station so if you are going to a NY basketball or hockey game (or playing in one) you're right there at the station.

Richmond (VA) also has a new minor league team if you are doing an east coast swing. It wouldn't be too far from the Main St station (short cab ride) and may have a connection with public transit (though I don't know what it is).

Has no one yet suggested the Boston Red Sox? One could easily walk to Fenway Park from BBY (back bay station) or take the T to Kenmore square.

And if you really wanted to be crazy you could take the train to Providence and see the Pawtucket Red Sox with a transfer to a RIPTA bus in PVD.

the Burlington, Iowa Bees ... the Salt Lake City Bees
The Bees must be swarming!
laugh.gif
Just don't get stung!
mosking.gif

Although it's not baseball, in Boston the Celtics and Bruins play at BankNorth Garden - which is at North Station! (So if you come in on the Downeaster from Portland, ME, get off the train and walk 100 feet while still inside the station - you're in the stadium!
cool.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
Journey out to the west coast. The Amtrak station in Anaheim is IN the Anaheim Stadium parking lot.

San Diego has easy trolley service from Santa Fe Depot.

Oakland and SF are also pretty easy.
And Dodger Stadium now has express bus service to/from L.A. Union Station.

This is EXACTLY what I was wanting! "IF" we pull this off, we are going to stay in the Midwest the first time. (2012) The info of the Burlington Bees was HUGE! That would be perfect after leaving LNK-DEN-BRL then get to CHI and the hit Joliet, Gary, Sox, Cubs and then take the EB to MSP (Twins/Saints) and even possibly Fargo (Redhawks). We may take Mega Bus to MSP since we could arrive early and not miss a day of baseball. Also, Indianapolis has the Indians. Thanks everyone for the info and links! So much appreciated!

Joliet, Gary and Indianapolis stadiums...are they in bad neighborhoods or areas that I would need to know about safety issues?
Joliet stadium is just steps from the station (closer than the nearest parking lot). Station has its own police facility and there's usually lots of people at game time, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Gary might be a bit more dicey, but again it's a short walk, police are around and crowds are a good protection against any problems.

I don't believe that many baseball teams take Amtrak but the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team does when they play the NY Rangers in Madison Square garden. Madison Square Garden was built atop of the old Pennsylvania Station so if you are going to a NY basketball or hockey game (or playing in one) you're right there at the station.
I believe when Phillies played the Yankees in 2009 World Series, Phillies arrived in New York by train. They never said which train was though. I assume it was Amtrak.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/sports/baseball/27phillies.html

Here it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Toledo Mud Hens. The Hens don't play where they played when I lived in the area. There's a new (at least relatively new) ballpark in Toledo. I have no idea how close the new park is to the Amtrak station, but it has to be closer than the old place was.
If I came would Klinger be playing catcher in a dress ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back