Baseball and Trains and Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe when Phillies played the Yankees in 2009 World Series, Phillies arrived in New York by train. They never said which train was though. I assume it was Amtrak.
I also heard that when both teams went from NY to PHL, they used the same chartered Amtrak train - but each team's "section" was separated by a baggage car!
mosking.gif
When My Fightin' Phils played them Yankees in 09' they did go back and forth by a AEM-7 hauled train. I believe the Yankees did share the train. Not sure though.

The Eagles rent an Acela set when traveling to BAL, WAS, or NY, sometimes BOS.

The Flyers are hauled by an AEM-7 and a few coaches. Between NY and WAS same with the Sixers.

Seattle's Safeco Field is not only a short walk from King St. Station but situated right next to the BNSF tracks as well. If you sit in the stands in right-center field, you can do some railfanning if the game gets boring, as the tracks run right behind right-center field. I watched my first ever Mariner game from Safeco last year and found myself railfanning from a distance, as I was seated in the top row of seats behind first base and I could still get a glimpse of rail traffic from my vantage point. And there's something about listening to a Mariner game on the radio and hearing the sound of the locomotive horns blowing as they pass the stadium. The horns can get so loud at times it actually drowns out the voice of the announcers.

Also, Indianapolis has the Indians.

The Indians are in Cleveland, Indianapolis has no MLB team. Don't know about minor leagues.

The Indianapolis Indians are the AAA affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates (or, given the perenially poor showing of the Pirates, maybe it should be the other way around :lol: ) and play in the International League.

Did the Mariners last year at Safeco Field at the end of our honeymoon. We had taken the CZ from LNK to SAC and then the CS to SEA and watched the "Battle in Seattle" which was my beloved Huskers beat the Huskies. Then on the day we departed we saw the Mariners beat the Rangers and then walked out of Safeco Field exactly 30 minutes before departure on the EB to CHI. LOVED it!!!!!

Speaking of SAC the River Cats (the AAA team of the Oakland A's) play just over the Tower Bridge in West Sacramento about a ten minute walk from the SAC station on the south end of Old Sacramento.

Unfortunately for Texas Baseball Fans our Two So Called Major League Teams have Nice Stadiums that make connections with Trains almost impossible! The Houston Lastros :help: (supposedly a Major League Team) have a Beautiful New Stadium (Minute Maid Park) Downtown not far from the Houston Station but the Calling Times of the Sunset Ltd. are not conducive to using Rail. (three times a week/ 5AM/10PM)

The 1st Place Texas Rangers :wub: have a Great Stadium Out in Arlington next to Jerry World (aka Cowboy Stadium)which has No Public Transportation of Any Kind resulting in having to Rent a car and pay Big $$$ to Park or take a Really Pricey Taxi Ride from Dallas or Ft. Worth! These might be the Two Worst Locations in all of Baseball when it comes to Combing Rail and Baseball! :(

When the Marlins move in to their new digs next year they will be a short walk away from Metrorail which has a direct connection to Tri-Rail, and a stop a couple of blocks away from the Miami Amtrak station.

The Rochester, NY Red Wings play at Frontier Field, which is about 1/2 mile from the Amtrak station there. The Red Wings are the AAA affiliate of the Twins who usually take away our best players from AA New Britain, CT, but that's the way things go in the minors.

Unfortunately for Texas Baseball Fans our Two So Called Major League Teams have Nice Stadiums that make connections with Trains almost impossible! The Houston Lastros :help: (supposedly a Major League Team) have a Beautiful New Stadium (Minute Maid Park) Downtown not far from the Houston Station but the Calling Times of the Sunset Ltd. are not conducive to using Rail. (three times a week/ 5AM/10PM)
You know, in Houston there is one choice other than the (admittedly unwieldy) Sunset Limited...the Texas Eagle bus connection via Longview. You could arrive overnight from St. Louis in the early afternoon, catch dinner at Irma's, watch the game, then stay overnight in one of several hotels (the Hyatt Regency is a beautiful hotel and is begging for business...I'll bet that if you talked to the hotel directly and mentioned that you were in town for baseball they would cut you a better deal than you could get from any of the online travel agencies) before leaving the next morning for New Orleans on the Sunset or else back north on the Texas Eagle.

I don't think I saw either of these, but the Giants are just steps away from the CalTrain Station in San Francisco, while their neighbors across the bay are accessible via BART.

I don't think I saw either of these, but the Giants are just steps away from the CalTrain Station in San Francisco, while their neighbors across the bay are accessible via BART.
The Oakland Coliseum Amtrak station is in between BART and the stadium proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back