Backpacking Trip via Train Ideas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur with Glacier National Park as a good possibility. There are trailheads into Glacier only about 1/2 mile from the Essex stop.
The Grand Canyon may not be as ideal based on some of your criteria (crowds, lead time for reservations, temperatures... either too hot down in the Canyon or too cold on the rim).

If you aren't set in stone on getting there via Amtrak, the Durango and Silverton narrow gauge railroad in Colorado offers a few flag stops for hikers and mountain climbers. Check their website for details.

Thanks, Glacier sounds intriguing. I've been to the Grand Canyon several times so not really interested in that again. Also looking into the periphery of Yosemite. Toluomne (sp?) Meadows is probably a book-months-in-advance thing but might be something along the periphery.

I'm very early in the planning process so all suggestions are welcome! Well, except Alaska. That's WAY too far and I'm not at that skill level of outdoorsmanship!

Let me refine a bit: Lower 48, West of the Mississippi preferred.

Glenwood Springs, CO is one of my favorite Amtrak destinations for outdoor activities. There are lots of hiking trails, with the trailheads both in town and along the Glenwood Canyon Recreational Trail (which parallels I-70 for 16 miles). There is also an option to rent a bicycle (http://www.canyonbikes.com/) and ride it to trailheads. And of course, there are hot springs, which feel crazy good after a long hike.
Noted on Top Possibilities to Research List, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back