Backpacking Trip via Train Ideas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackGraham

Train Attendant
I've long had a fantasy of taking the train to a remote stop, getting off, backpacking for a few days, then catching the train back. I think I must have read a book as a youth that got that image stuck in my head and am wondering if it is possible.

So question: Anyone have ideas for a backpacking trip that would originate in Oceanside, CA, have a stop that is in a national/state park or forest or suchlike, where I could get off the train, backpack for approximately 2-3 nights in a loop, then catch the train back home? The trip would be taken in summer or very early fall.

Desired parameters:

1. Hiking distance with 30lb pack of ~10 miles a day, no extreme climbing.

2. Access to water (have water sterilization system so streams, lakes, or untreated water ok)

3. Within 2 day one-way train trip of OSD.

4. Suitable for 3-season gear. Lows above 30 and highs below 85.

5. Marked trails, though don't have to be family-friendly. I just don't want to bushwack.

6. Not overcrowded or requiring months-in-advance reservations.

Any ideas?

In your wildest dream, it is possible to have you hike from the border of Mexico to past Canadian border. San Diego- use public transportation. In Canada, I believe you may flag down one of VIA train to Vancouver, BC.

The Sunset Limited stops in both Sanderson and Alpine, TX, which are the close to Big Bend National Park. It's still quite a distance, but Big Bend is amazing and offers many different hiking venues: mountain, desert, river, etc.

Metro North RR has a specific stop for the Appalachian Trail north of NYC on the Harlem Line. It only stops on weekends though. But you could hike that and meet the train somewhere else.

It's far, far from home, but the Cap Limited and the Appalachain trail both run through Harper's Ferry, WV!

Yeah, uh, I'm hoping for something a few clicks below "wildest", and near a train stop. And Mexico to Canuckistan is more vacation than I can spare.

It's far, far from home, but the Cap Limited and the Appalachain trail both run through Harper's Ferry, WV!

Yeah, uh, I'm hoping for something a few clicks below "wildest", and near a train stop. And Mexico to Canuckistan is more vacation than I can spare.
Wow, that totally quoted the wrong post. Sorry. Meant to quote the person talking about Mexico to Canada hike.

The Sunset Limited stops in both Sanderson and Alpine, TX, which are the close to Big Bend National Park. It's still quite a distance, but Big Bend is amazing and offers many different hiking venues: mountain, desert, river, etc.
I dunno, Big Bend in August/September? Probably too hot. Might be a good March trip though.

Glacier National Park. Take the Coast Starlight to PDX and the Empire Builder to one of three stops near the park (West Glacier, East Glacier, or Essex, near the famous Izaak Walton Inn). (There will probably still be bus connection involved between Klamath Falls, OR and Pasco, WA, since the Starlight tends to runs late and can miss the connection in Portland.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Metro North RR has a specific stop for the Appalachian Trail north of NYC on the Harlem Line. It only stops on weekends though. But you could hike that and meet the train somewhere else.
Hmm. Is there any practical way to hike from that stop to Pittsfield, and then pick up the Lake Shore Limited Boston stub?

The National Park Service and Amtrak have a Trails & Rails program, but it seems more like an on-train history program and not necessarily hiking. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Amtrak California's San Joaquins route offers indirect access to Yosemite and other parks along the Central California corridor. Essentially, you would take San Joaquins to the appropriate stop and then bus to the park in question.

I know the bus isn't very exciting, but it gets the job done. You may need to book an alternate mode of travel after you get to the station because Amtrak or its partners may not sell you what you're looking for.

If you would like a mostly rail trip to a national park, there's the Grand Canyon. Take Amtrak to Williams, Ariz. and then a trip on the Grand Canyon Railway to the South Rim. However, checking the Railway's Web site, I'm not seeing a lot of hiking packages.

Good luck with your quest.

I second both the Glacier National Park and Grand Canyon suggestions. You can probably do Grand Canyon without booking a package...just buy one way tickets on the Grand Canyon Railway from Williams to the South Rim. The Bright Angel Trail would be a natural, though the hike back up would be perhaps more of a climb than you want. A stay at Phantom Ranch at the bottom could alleviate the need to carry all the camping gear.

Another possibility, though not directly accessible by Amtrak, is the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which will stop to drop off and pick up hikers in the Animas River Canyon. I believe bus service to Durango is available from Albuquerque (Southwest Chief) and Grand Junction (California Zephyr).

Even further afield, the White Pass & Yukon (from Skagway, Alaska...nowhere near Amtrak!) will drop hikers off as well, on either the U.S. or Canadian side...a good way to do the Chilkoot Trail.

Thinking on this a bit more, the Coast Starlight gets you to Dunsmuir, CA (Mt. Shasta, Shasta-Trinity National Forest, Castle Crags Wilderness and Castle Crags State Park) and Chemult, OR (Winema-Fremont National Forest, near Mt. Thielsen Wilderness and about 25 miles from Crater Lake National Park).

The California Zephyr goes right through the Rocky Mountains. I'm not a guy who hikes but you would think there would be plenty of hiking trails near WIP and GSC and GJT. Also the ride through the Rockies is still the best scenery I have seen on my Amtrak trips!

last year we took the empire builder to west glacier. it's about a mile walk from there to lake mc donald, campground, going to the sun road(which has a free shuttle to logan pass 4th july until labor day). we had a great time and great hiking. the train arrives about 8:30 am and departs around 8:30 pm.

getting off at essex(izzak walton inn) provides acess to the park for a more rugged backpacking trip. detraining at east glacier leaves you a little farther from the core of the park though is also a good jumping off point for backpacking into the two medicine area.

plan a trip for your abilites and go for it

Even further afield, the White Pass & Yukon (from Skagway, Alaska...nowhere near Amtrak!) will drop hikers off as well, on either the U.S. or Canadian side...a good way to do the Chilkoot Trail.
The WP&Y only picks up hikers at Bennett after hiking the trail ... I don't believe that it transports hikers to Bennett to do the trail from there. There are several other hiking options from the WP&Y, but they are closer to Skagway.

When we hiked the Chilkoot, the hiker's train ran only only twice a week ... I checked their website and it looks like that's changed (and we hiked only 3 yrs ago).

I concur with Glacier National Park as a good possibility. There are trailheads into Glacier only about 1/2 mile from the Essex stop.

The Grand Canyon may not be as ideal based on some of your criteria (crowds, lead time for reservations, temperatures... either too hot down in the Canyon or too cold on the rim).

If you aren't set in stone on getting there via Amtrak, the Durango and Silverton narrow gauge railroad in Colorado offers a few flag stops for hikers and mountain climbers. Check their website for details.

Wow, that totally quoted the wrong post. Sorry. Meant to quote the person talking about Mexico to Canada hike.
Clearwater, British Columbia, is the next step down the line from Kamloops going east.

Glenwood Springs, CO is one of my favorite Amtrak destinations for outdoor activities. There are lots of hiking trails, with the trailheads both in town and along the Glenwood Canyon Recreational Trail (which parallels I-70 for 16 miles). There is also an option to rent a bicycle (http://www.canyonbikes.com/) and ride it to trailheads. And of course, there are hot springs, which feel crazy good after a long hike.

So question: Anyone have ideas for a backpacking trip that would originate in Oceanside, CA, have a stop that is in a national/state park or forest or suchlike, where I could get off the train, backpack for approximately 2-3 nights in a loop, then catch the train back home?
I'd vote for Yosemite National Park, reached by Amtrak Bus from Merced (on the San Joaquin Route).

Yosemite actually has SEVEN Amtrak Bus Stops, located in widely different areas of the Park:

yoa - Ahwahnee Hotel

yoc - Curry Village

yof - Crane Flat

yos - Yosemite Lodge

yot - Tuolumne Meadow

yov - Visitor Center

yow - White Wolf

The California Zephyr goes right through the Rocky Mountains. I'm not a guy who hikes but you would think there would be plenty of hiking trails near WIP and GSC and GJT. Also the ride through the Rockies is still the best scenery I have seen on my Amtrak trips!
Indian Peaks Wilderness Area has some trails that are very close to the California Zephyr route but not near a stop. The nearest stop would be Winter Park on the opposite side of the Moffat Tunnel. Several trails in and around Indian Peaks are near the old railroad line over the Rollins Pass. You may have to get reservations through Roosevelt/Arapaho National Forest. Very nice hikes, but lots of people.

Also, you could, in theory, do any of the following: Cumberland-Washington, Harpers-Washington or even Pittsburgh to Cumberland by way of the new Allegheny passage. (it follows an old ROW and a ROW currently in use by the WMSR).

Plus, I have heard IWI, by Glacier, has many hiking trails surrounding it.

Thinking on this a bit more, the Coast Starlight gets you to Dunsmuir, CA (Mt. Shasta, Shasta-Trinity National Forest, Castle Crags Wilderness and Castle Crags State Park) and Chemult, OR (Winema-Fremont National Forest, near Mt. Thielsen Wilderness and about 25 miles from Crater Lake National Park).
Ah, a possibility! Thanks, I'll do some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back