Background on Amtrak CEOs--is there a book?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the historians on here help me out with suggestions for a book on the Amtrak CEOs?

I've seen the general thumbnail sketches of all of them, and I know that a couple were very good, some were awful, and some were bureaucrats who did not want to rock the boat. And that you could mention the name of any of them and get a variety of opinions on them.

However, I would like to approach their history in an organized manner to learn as much as I can, so I can be a better advocate (promote the best ideas of the best in my letters to Congress, etc.). For example, I just finished reading Appetite for America, the Fred Harvey story, and it gave me a much better overview and understanding than the bits and pieces I had gathered separately.

I would like to get that same type of overview of Amtrak's CEOs, but the only books I can find are Amtrak's own, which I imagine would be more promotional than objective.

Also, I do not understand how much influence the Board has, or what its relationship is with the CEOs and with Congress, and would like to learn more about how that works as well. I looked up the current members, and almost all had been nominated by President Obama, so you'd think they would be pro-rail, but I don't see any obvious evidence of it (especially if they had a major say in hiring Anderson).

I look forward to any and all suggestions--thanks very much!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back