Back on the Southwest Chief Re-route Topic

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the cities in Oklahoma that could possibly get a station: Waynoka (920), Woodward (12,274), and Alva (4,913). Waynoka is half way between the other two (which are county seats) and the only one with a historic station intact. Seems like combing their resources to fix the platform in Waynoka would be the best bet for restored service and that way all 3 communities are reasonably served.

At least in this case all that will be needed is 8" platforms.
Well... that depends on what BNSF wants.

It is quite possible that BNSF will request that the platforms be located on passenger-specific sidings, so that the main track is not blocked during station work, in which case 15" platforms will be necessary. (Which is still not really a big deal.)

There is room for a passenger siding at Amarillo and very definitely room at Wichita. Looks to me like there's room at Clovis as well.

But yeah, when I say "will have to build a station", what I mean is "will have to build a new platform". This is well within the funding ability of any of these cities, although it's not cheap by the standards of an individual.
Both Clovis and Amarillo have multiple tracks and yards for through trains and are service stops. There is no need nor room for an additional 'siding' for Amtrak. There is no room for a passenger siding at Amarillo. The station is on the curve trending south and the platform is angled. Both stations are fenced off so an access gate would need to be installed along with a shelter between the station and the track. Wichita would probably need a passenger track re-installed next to the platform. The San Francisco Chief used to stop at Wellington, Waynoka and Pampa with some additional flag stops in between. If you are going up to Albuquerque the Belen station is not accessible and the Rail Runner station is not connected so a stop in Belen would be hard to manage.

Well, sounds like Clovis wants a station! But will they come up with the money for one? They don't seem to have realized that even if Amtrak moves, they don't get a station for free...
Clovis already has a station sitting right there beside the tracks. Right now it's a model train museum. Amarillo still has it's station and the city just bought it and Wichita has it's station. Any other city wants a stop can fix up or build a station.
Just wondering, but what are the minumum standards / requirements a station must have before Amtrak will agree to stop there? Just because there was a station once and the building is still there does not make it automatically suitable for today's trains. Not just because standards and requirements have evolved but because the tracks are maybe no longer in the same location and facilities may have been removed or become unusable. And even if the station is owned by the town in question, the tracks will still be owned by BNSF and presmuably a strip of land either side of those tracks as well, meaning the platforms (if indeed they still exist) are no longer part of the station. In terms of facilities provided, there seems to be quite a disparity in standards between different stations that cannot be explained away by their significance alone. I guess the expalanations must be more historical. Also, if the train must stop on the main line, BNSF would have to agree to that and might have reason to object. This might be a reason to build some sort of siding so freight trains can overtake, but again this hasn't been done everywhere so it seems to be done on a case by case basis. So from Amtrak's point of view, what sort of station does there have to be before they will stop. Is a bit of hard standing and a sort of shelter and a station sign good enough? Or does soembody have to spend millions before Amtrak will even consider it a station?

I'd like to know the above question as well.

Found a video clip of the Waynoka depot. Looks to be in pretty good shape, but I'm sure the platform is not ADA compliant.

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.8427
They'd have to build a new platform to current standards in any case, since Waynoka was not been in constant passenger use. If it is on the mainline, the standards are different than if it is dedicated siding(level boarding required), IIRC.

Given a higher speed limit for passenger trains, a pasenger train stoping is unlikely to delay a following freight train on the same track, particularly if there is a platform adjacent to both main tracks, and this line is now mostly double track. Use of a passenger station siding is much more likely to cause delay to a freight train or multiple freight trains that having a main line stop, as if the passeng train ahs to wait for the crossover mome, it has the potention of delaying freights on the track it is sitting on. Then when making the crossover move it is likely to delay trains on the other main track.

Just wondering, but what are the minumum standards / requirements a station must have before Amtrak will agree to stop there?
LOL, apparently not much. Beaumont had just a concrete slab. Benson, AZ has a bus shelter. In Lordsburg last time I rode the Sunset they just let people off at a road crossing. Of course, since the route has not had passenger service for 40 years, all kinds of onerous bureaucratic rules may come into play. The Eagle just added a stop at Hope, AR. What did they have to do?

Just wondering, but what are the minumum standards / requirements a station must have before Amtrak will agree to stop there?
LOL, apparently not much. Beaumont had just a concrete slab. Benson, AZ has a bus shelter. In Lordsburg last time I rode the Sunset they just let people off at a road crossing. Of course, since the route has not had passenger service for 40 years, all kinds of onerous bureaucratic rules may come into play. The Eagle just added a stop at Hope, AR. What did they have to do?
Actually Henry Hope had to Rebuild the Platform after the Station and Platform were Refurbished/Built due to Incompetence of the Contractor/Designer/Engineers/Government Officials and Amtrak itself! And now that Beaumomt has its Million Dollar Homeless Persons Bathroom Station I guess Sanderson and Williams Junction,AZ could also be on your List of Sunset Stops where there is No There There! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it must be a new routing! Sunset returns to Phoenix and travels up the old Peavine line to Williams Junction, reverses direction and continues to LA! Interesting but extremely slow. HAWHAWHAW.

Both Clovis and Amarillo have multiple tracks and yards for through trains and are service stops. There is no need nor room for an additional 'siding' for Amtrak. There is no room for a passenger siding at Amarillo. The station is on the curve trending south and the platform is angled.
I strongly suspect the platform will be moved south off the angle. That's been the trend.

Oh, and I just rechecked -- there's *oodles* of room for a passenger siding at Amarillo. Looks like a freight yard was removed at some point.

Wichita's station is owned by a developer who is going to use it for non-passenger rail purposes. They indicated that they would be willing to sit aside some of the station for Amtrak service, but it'll no doubt cost money to get it ready.
Plus seeing they're a developer and no doubt want a return on their investment, I expect somebody will have to pay them rent for the space set aside. Will Wichita foot that bill? Or Amtrak?

I also agree with those who say that even if enough enough money were suddenly available that double daily scheduling should be a bigger priority than maintaining once-a-day service over deteriorating rail. Just my views of course, but that's what I would support.
Just as a ballpark figure, how much would a second daily service cost? Are we talking about the same sort of money here, or a different ballpark entirely?

Also, would BNSF be as welcoming to two trains as it is to one? If two trains turn out to be more succesful than one, people will start demanding a third. At what point will BNSF say, enough, and point Amtrak back to Raton? Cloud cuckoo question I know, but interesting as a what-if scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a bit complicated. Amtrak has different standards depending on expected ridership.
First of all, for a new (as in, not currently open) station, the FRA's current ADA regulations would have to be satisfied. These are all about the nature of the platform; no station building is required.

Second, the host railroad's requirements (in this case BNSF's) have to be met. These are somewhat arbitrary -- they vary depending on the whims of current BNSF management.

Finally, there are Amtrak's actual standards. These are a bit complicated. Amtrak has different "station standards" based on expected ridership in order to provide some level of service quality. These are certainly the most "open to negotiation" of the three hurdles, and therefore the least important.

In terms of facilities provided, there seems to be quite a disparity in standards between different stations that cannot be explained away by their significance alone. I guess the expalanations must be more historical.
Entirely historical. Any station which has been in continuous operation is grandfathered to a certain extent, causing results like Sanderson, TX, where the station was demolished before Amtrak. And of course even in cases where Amtrak would like to enhance station facilities, it often can't get the money or legal agreements together to do so.

Also, if the train must stop on the main line, BNSF would have to agree to that and might have reason to object. This might be a reason to build some sort of siding so freight trains can overtake, but again this hasn't been done everywhere so it seems to be done on a case by case basis.
Basically, it's a matter of whether the host railroad demands it at that location. For existing stations, the host railroad is stuck dealing with whatever currently exists, but when major renovations are planned or new stations are built, sometimes the host railroad demands trackwork changes. CSX demanded a *pair* of sidings at Rochester, NY, for example. There's really nothing to be done other than agreeing to such requests. The only way to know whether BNSF will demand a passenger siding at a given location is to ask them.

So from Amtrak's point of view, what sort of station does there have to be before they will stop. Is a bit of hard standing and a sort of shelter and a station sign good enough? Or does soembody have to spend millions before Amtrak will even consider it a station?
From Amtrak's point of view, anything which passes muster with the FRA, the DOJ, and the host railroad is good enough. Though they'd prefer to have something which matches up with their service standards based on ridership. For a low-ridership stop this means a flat platform of a legal height with a yellow tactile "watch out" strip at the edge. Amtrak only asks for any sort of shelter or building at fairly busy stops, and even then Amtrak will still serve the stop if it doesn't have one.

Oh, and I just rechecked -- there's *oodles* of room for a passenger siding at Amarillo. Looks like a freight yard was removed at some point.
You might want to look again. I have been there. BNSF just adjusted the existing tracks a little bit away from the platform.

Headline from this article on Topeka Capital-Journal's website cjonline.com:

Amtrak service may leave western Kansas if track funding not found
BNSF maintains rails for lower speed freight trains
Not news, I know, but at least the issue is getting some play in the local media... Personally I like Skeezix's comment, which is below the article itself...

You might want to look again. I have been there. BNSF just adjusted the existing tracks a little bit away from the platform.
There's a vast empty space on the west side of the tracks, from south of the station (5th Ave) to 10th Ave, behind the buildings. Looks like it used to be a freight yard or a team track or something, but right now there is NOTHING there. Like I said, plenty of room for a passenger siding. Oodles.

Wichita's station is owned by a developer who is going to use it for non-passenger rail purposes. They indicated that they would be willing to sit aside some of the station for Amtrak service, but it'll no doubt cost money to get it ready.
Plus seeing they're a developer and no doubt want a return on their investment, I expect somebody will have to pay them rent for the space set aside. Will Wichita foot that bill? Or Amtrak?
Historically, developers who are using stations for *retail commercial* purposes frequently offer their stations at minimal rent, with the expectation that people travelling through the station will patronize the stores. Someone (Amtrak or the city) still has to pay to actually refurbish the station and make it functional as a station though.

Well Guest-Nathanael, normally the passenger siding is next to the station so passengers can move to and from the train to the station. But if you think there is "oodles of room" for a siding then that's fine with me. Since you seem to be so informed on this perhaps you should let Amtrak, BNSF and the city of Amarillo know also. I am sure they would be thrilled to have such an 'expert' advise them on what to do.

I see in the article linked above that if they were to stay on the current route they would have to run 30 mph. I agree this is not a good solution although I was surprised when I rode VIA's ocean from Montreal to Halifax in 2011 that there was several hours of 30 mph running in New Brunswick due to tracks with lack of freight also. Just wanted to mention that 30 mph running would kill ridership for the chief I'm sure but it's surprising VIA is doing this.

Well Guest-Nathanael, normally the passenger siding is next to the station so passengers can move to and from the train to the station. But if you think there is "oodles of room" for a siding then that's fine with me. Since you seem to be so informed on this perhaps you should let Amtrak, BNSF and the city of Amarillo know also. I am sure they would be thrilled to have such an 'expert' advise them on what to do.
That attitude is wildly uncalled for, Henry.
If there is space, there's space. Tracks can be reconfigured.

I also agree with those who say that even if enough enough money were suddenly available that double daily scheduling should be a bigger priority than maintaining once-a-day service over deteriorating rail. Just my views of course, but that's what I would support.
Just as a ballpark figure, how much would a second daily service cost? Are we talking about the same sort of money here, or a different ballpark entirely?
Assuming the same consist as currently and two locomotives per set, about $160M in capital costs for equipment and unknown amount, probably around three hundred million, for track capacity additions by BNSF and others. From FY09 data, adjusting for inflation, avoidable costs of a second Southwest Chief would be about 64 million per year, possibly higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back