Availability of the accessible bedroom without Amtrak agent help

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi -- Just curious is there is a way to find out the "availability" of an accessible bedroom without calling Amtrak?

Often, I am picking from a series of dates often influenced by the availability of the accessible bedroom.

I hate calling and asking for a bunch of dates when all I really need to know if it is already booked!

I am happy to then call and get pricing...

Any ideas? I checked Amsnag and I don't think they show in the listing...unless I am missing something, which is possible.

-Jackie

I wonder how often the handicap room simply goes out empty due to lack of awareness and visibility. Has that ever shown up in any report?

Additional comment to no one in particular:

I just think it is silly to have to call although I understand why they want to maintain control.

They could make the availability accessible, but not be able to buy it online.

Otherwise, I am potentially waiting an agent's time just getting some basic information that could be supplied a different way.

i can't tell you how many times I have to call to get that information and then have to hang up to sort out the rest of my travels.

They will only do a courtesy hold for 10 days..which again is a pain, but I do understand...so I rather than tie up the room until I purchase it, I never put it on hold....

I just think it just add one more needless step for some of us who already have a tough time traveling...

On the other hand, I do applaud Amtrak for always being courteous when I do have to ask a billion questions! I can't say that anyone has ever been rude to me, but it just bugs me. Maybe I am the one with the control issues! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie, you use passenger type of Passenger With Disability and then indicate you use a wheelchair that you will sit in, the accessible room is the only room that shows up

That's correct. If you book online as a "passenger with disability" and indicate that you will sit in your own wheelchair during the trip, the accessible room will show up for online booking.

you use passenger type of Passenger With Disability and then indicate you use a wheelchair that you will sit in, the accessible room is the only room that shows up
Interesting......I've always assumed that booking room H had to be done through an agent. I'll have to remember that next time either my mom or I need to book that. (We both have mobility difficulties, but are not in wheelchairs, however she uses a walker and so do I only if I don't know what the station I'm arriving at is like).

I had an upper Roomette on a particular trip. My back was acting up and asked at the counter if I could get a lower room. They did me one better. Ride out to the train on a cart and given the H room since they were full on the lower level.

Great PR on their part.

The H room shows up on the Amtrak website as available to ANYONE if it isn't sold by a certain time before train departure. I don't know if that time is 24 hours or longer. The morning of a trip from Washington to Chicago on the Capitol Limited, I decided to see if I could score a bedroom because traveling in a roomette with a spouse and a service dog was too crowded. No bedrooms available, but the H room was, and it cost just an additional $60 over the roomette. That was well worth it.

The H room shows up on the Amtrak website as available to ANYONE if it isn't sold by a certain time before train departure. I don't know if that time is 24 hours or longer. The morning of a trip from Washington to Chicago on the Capitol Limited, I decided to see if I could score a bedroom because traveling in a roomette with a spouse and a service dog was too crowded. No bedrooms available, but the H room was, and it cost just an additional $60 over the roomette. That was well worth it.
It's 14 days, but, it appears to only show up if the bedrooms are sold out, just like in your case.

Long ago, I thought I had read that the H room is priced like a roomette for a handicapped traveler and priced like a bedroom for a non-handicapped traveler (within 14 days of travel). But if the bedrooms were sold out, and the H room was only $60 more than a roomette, then it seems that the H room does not share buckets with the bedrooms. Does it have its own set of buckets? Does its price depend on the handicapped status of the traveler?

Long ago, I thought I had read that the H room is priced like a roomette for a handicapped traveler and priced like a bedroom for a non-handicapped traveler (within 14 days of travel). But if the bedrooms were sold out, and the H room was only $60 more than a roomette, then it seems that the H room does not share buckets with the bedrooms. Does it have its own set of buckets? Does its price depend on the handicapped status of the traveler?
A few minutes ago, from Lamy to Chicago on July 16, the H room was $340, a roomette was $400, a bedroom was ~$850, and the family room was ~$1150. Looking as a PWD for the H room, and as an adult for the other three. So different buckets, I guess.

Ainam "I am blessed to be fully mobile at this stage of my life, so this was just an academic exercise" Kartma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back