auto train newbie questions...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi:

I need a break with some sunshine and warm to continue thawing out my body and soul from the now-snowiest winter in Boston ever!! (no prize!!!)

Am thinking of doing one of two options:

1. Train from Boston to DC and then Auto Train

2. Train from Boston to Virginia Beach

I prefer #1, but I have a ton of questions since I haven't been that way before:

1. Can I get from WAS to Lorton using public transportation?

2. Do I have to have a car to ride the Auto Train? I would prefer to rent a car in Sanford and drive some warm in FL....

3. Are there accessible sleepers on the Auto Train? If not, is it a long train, so that walking with my hobbly wobbly self would not be an option?

I was also thinking of Myrtle Beach but that seems less train-friendly...

I am traveling solo.

Thanks!

Hi:

I need a break with some sunshine and warm to continue thawing out my body and soul from the now-snowiest winter in Boston ever!! (no prize!!!)

I prefer #1, but I have a ton of questions since I haven't been that way before:

2. Do I have to have a car to ride the Auto Train? I would prefer to rent a car in Sanford and drive some warm in FL....

3. Are there accessible sleepers on the Auto Train? If not, is it a long train, so that walking with my hobbly wobbly self would not be an option?

I am traveling solo.

Thanks!
Jackie - you can't ride the AT without a car, so you probably need to rethink things.

Take the train to either NY or WAS and then a Florida train from there.

Hi:

I am traveling solo.

Thanks!
Jackie - you can't ride the AT without a car, so you probably need to rethink things.

Take the train to either NY or WAS and then a Florida train from there.
MrFSS: Well, dang. I knew there has to be a reason it was called the "Auto Train"! :) Back to the drawing board...

I don't believe there is any public transportation between DC and Lorton, but more importantly, you MUST have a vehicle to ride the AT! (It is called the AT for a reason.) And there are H-Rooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
There of course is public transportation from DC to Lorton at least on weekdays. It is called VRE. But it does not go to Lorton Auto Train station. It goes to Lorton VRE station which is a little further on. But as mentioned, since Auto Train requires an Auto, the existence or lack thereof of public transportation to Lorton is somewhat irrelevant in the context of riding the Auto Train.

As Tom said, take one of the Silver Trains from NYP to Florida, it's still a little cool in Virginia and South Carolina for the beach!

I'd recommend waiting till after Spring Break and Easter is over also, the crowds and the prices will be friendlier where it's warm!!

Lorton is a suburb of Washington. Busses between Lorton and DC tend to run into the city in the morning and back to Lorton in the evening, so they don't conform to the Auto Train's schedule. The DC Metro goes as far as Springfield, but you would probably have to take a cab from there to Lorton. That's the way it's done by Auto Train employees who live in DC and don't have cars. At the Sanford end, you would, once again, be at the mercy of public transportation or infrequent cab service. There is an ongoing recent thread discussing the option of taking a rental car on the A-Train.

No other trains serve the Auto Train terminals at Lorton or Sanford.

In your particular case, I think the Silver Service is your best option. The Silver trains go directly to the major cities & tourist destinations in Florida. If you have to rely on a rental car, you'll probably have an easier time getting one in one of the major cities, and it will probably be a shorter drive.

If you really want to ride the A-Train, one option would be to find a friend who drives and would like to accompany you. That would get you to Lorton, allow you to ride the A-Train, and get you from Sanford to your final destination.

As for onboard services, the majority of the Auto Train's clientele tends to be senior citizens, so the staff is used to addressing their needs. The Superliner equipment has Handicapped facilities. If you have trouble moving about the train, your attendant can serve your meals in your room.

I don't know about public transportation to/from Myrtle Beach.

Tom

You could take the train to Alexandria, rent a car (see other thread!), drive to Lorton, Auto Train, drive from Sanford to Miami (Though Sanford is pretty warm in itself) and reverse for the return. Then explain how you took 1600 miles off the odometer to the rental agent! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back