Auto Train Loose Ends

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of my questions had been answered on a thread I started when I was a guest before joining this board but I do have some lingering questions for my trip. I will be going LOR to SFA this Thurs 10/14 (Coach) and returning 10/21 SFA to LOR (Roomette)

- This one sounds kind of dumb, I'm getting conflicting info though about the wine and cheese tasting, is this just for slepper folk or can coach partake? Obviously on the return trip this doesn't matter, in either case, where how and when is this done?

- Electrical outlets... I've only ever ridden viewliners and arm fleets (Silver Meteor, Pennsylvanian and Keystone) Do the Superliners have them for Coach passengers? Also for the roomette, is there only one? Everything I keep seeing shows only one.

- Dinner- Whats good, what should me and my girlfriend stay away from? Also I hear there is a difference between coach and sleeper dinners... What kind of differences are their menus available for both somewhere?

- We will be arriving early at stations, particularly LOR (coming from the lehigh valley we don't want to take chances with DC traffic) if we arrive too early, are there things near by to see/do? Do we check in the car and walk to these places if there are?

- Lounge cars, I seem to remember seeing on hear that a sightseeer lounge is rotated in every so often, is there a way to find out what equipment either of my trains will have ahead of time?

- drink options, I'm sure coach has to pay for soft drinks (not sure about dinner though, is this included?) But when being a sleeper passenger, are soads included? This is my first time doing a sleeper by the way

- Maybe a a better thing to ask is what perks do you get as a sleeper passenger besides privacy, beds and access to the whole train?

As always thanks for all the help ahead of time, this site has been a godsend from the first time I ever considered a train to go to FL back in Feb.

Jer

- Electrical outlets... I've only ever ridden viewliners and arm fleets (Silver Meteor, Pennsylvanian and Keystone) Do the Superliners have them for Coach passengers? Also for the roomette, is there only one? Everything I keep seeing shows only one.
They have them for coach passengers but Not all superliners have them. I don't know if the auto train is the exception or not. More single level cars have outlets at every seat then the superliners. It's going to be hit or miss but more times then not it's a miss with superliners.

- drink options, I'm sure coach has to pay for soft drinks (not sure about dinner though, is this included?) But when being a sleeper passenger, are soads included? This is my first time doing a sleeper by the way
If you're in coach There are no soft drinks in the coach diner. If you want soft drinks you will have to get them from the cafe in the lower lever of the SSL car. Dinner is included with your ticket whether you are coach or sleeper.

- We will be arriving early at stations, particularly LOR (coming from the lehigh valley we don't want to take chances with DC traffic) if we arrive too early, are there things near by to see/do? Do we check in the car and walk to these places if there are?
Hello Jer,

I felt the same way about this forum when I first discovered it prior to an Auto Train trip to and from FL several years ago. It has proven to be a godsend and an enjoyable source of all kinds of information relative to passenger rail travel.

We have not done coach so I cannot answer your questions relative to coach passengers. I can help with your question about arriving early in LOR. We try to be there two to three hours early. For one thing it is first come first served relative to choosing whether you will have dinner at 5:00, 7:00 or 9:00 PM and we want to have the option to choose.

There is a shopping center near LOR which has a few stores and a deli but beyond that there is not much near the station that I know of. I am told LOR has Wi-Fi. There is also a small gift shop with sandwiches and coffee, reading material, etc. If the weather is nice you can also go outside and walk around a bit.

The train is usually boarded early and many times has an early departure. The time of waiting seems to go fairly fast.

I hope this bit of information is of some help!

Most of my questions had been answered on a thread I started when I was a guest before joining this board but I do have some lingering questions for my trip. I will be going LOR to SFA this Thurs 10/14 (Coach) and returning 10/21 SFA to LOR (Roomette)

- This one sounds kind of dumb, I'm getting conflicting info though about the wine and cheese tasting, is this just for slepper folk or can coach partake? Obviously on the return trip this doesn't matter, in either case, where how and when is this done? Don't know, I've only ridden sleeper. I'm curious now too, but I'd guess it was only sleeper. It's done in the diner(?) or is it the SSL. Now I'm forgetting!

- Electrical outlets... I've only ever ridden viewliners and arm fleets (Silver Meteor, Pennsylvanian and Keystone) Do the Superliners have them for Coach passengers? Also for the roomette, is there only one? Everything I keep seeing shows only one. Should be at your seat. As for Roomettes, it's best to bring a small power strip with you, if you have more than one or two devices to plug in.

- Dinner- Whats good, what should me and my girlfriend stay away from? Also I hear there is a difference between coach and sleeper dinners... What kind of differences are their menus available for both somewhere?

- We will be arriving early at stations, particularly LOR (coming from the lehigh valley we don't want to take chances with DC traffic) if we arrive too early, are there things near by to see/do? Do we check in the car and walk to these places if there are? You are kind of out of luck when it comes to "things to do nearby" The closest thing to the Lorton station is a pretty good sized strip mall across the street, "Lorton Station Marketplace" There are full service restaurants, sub shops, pizza, take out, etc., There's also grocery store, and other retail.

- Lounge cars, I seem to remember seeing on hear that a sightseeer lounge is rotated in every so often, is there a way to find out what equipment either of my trains will have ahead of time?

- drink options, I'm sure coach has to pay for soft drinks (not sure about dinner though, is this included?) But when being a sleeper passenger, are soads included? This is my first time doing a sleeper by the way. Non alcoholic bevs are included with your coach dinner.

- Maybe a a better thing to ask is what perks do you get as a sleeper passenger besides privacy, beds and access to the whole train? Tho a bit dated, check here: http://www.on-track-on-line.com/autotrain-onboard.shtml

As always thanks for all the help ahead of time, this site has been a godsend from the first time I ever considered a train to go to FL back in Feb.

Jer

As for Roomettes, it's best to bring a small power strip with you, if you have more than one or two devices to plug in.
I always hear people on AU recommending a power strip, but unless you have more than three devices to plug in I would recommend just getting a short (3ft) extension cable instead. Have people been experiencing blow-outs of their electronics?

Non alcoholic bevs are included with your coach dinner.
Is this correct? I thought soda was an extra cost item for coach (and sleeper get one can per meal included with their fare).

- Maybe a a better thing to ask is what perks do you get as a sleeper passenger besides privacy, beds and access to the whole train? Tho a bit dated, check here: http://www.on-track-on-line.com/autotrain-onboard.shtml
A bit dated? :unsure: We update them all the time. Yes, the last major revision where nearly everything got re-written was in 2008, but things don't change all that much or all that fast on the Auto Train & Amtrak. Whenever something small does change, the author Don, usually sends me something and I make the needed changes to the text.

Hello Jer,

I felt the same way about this forum when I first discovered it prior to an Auto Train trip to and from FL several years ago. It has proven to be a godsend and an enjoyable source of all kinds of information relative to passenger rail travel.

We have not done coach so I cannot answer your questions relative to coach passengers. I can help with your question about arriving early in LOR. We try to be there two to three hours early. For one thing it is first come first served relative to choosing whether you will have dinner at 5:00, 7:00 or 9:00 PM and we want to have the option to choose.

There is a shopping center near LOR which has a few stores and a deli but beyond that there is not much near the station that I know of. I am told LOR has Wi-Fi. There is also a small gift shop with sandwiches and coffee, reading material, etc. If the weather is nice you can also go outside and walk around a bit.

The train is usually boarded early and many times has an early departure. The time of waiting seems to go fairly fast.

I hope this bit of information is of some help!
We go to Lorton from north of the Lehigh Valley and have found going down the night before is the best option. Potomac Mills mall is an exit or two south of the Lorton exit and has a couple of hotels available. This year we're going down a full day early and taking the Metro back into DC and seeing the sights.

After checking your car there is a small shopping center just down the block and across the street from LOR but it is nothing special.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back