Auto Train Hits Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Amsnag, Southbound from today for the next 30 days has the better part of half the month with all accomodations at or near the lowest bucket. Northbound, I conceed, looks packed for the next two weeks then lightens up.

As for the crew, yes, I agree that you would have to have a crew to operate. But it would be the crew that would be on the train to begin with, rather than paying them for half a day to wait for their journey to begin.

Y'all gotta lighten up. I stated it as an idea - a suggestion - a possibility - a potential solution. Will it work, no. But for crying out loud, back down Rottweilers!

Sorry, Venture. I didn't mean to be harsh. My friends & I at Amtrak are trying to laugh thru our tears over this. If we had a better solution, you can bet we'd be trying to get it adopted.

Amtrak has horrible communications regarding delays to its customers. They are canceling Monday may 12 both ways to get back on schedule. Sadly, none of those travelers know yet.

Ok listed as Cancelled on Amtrak.com. Let's keep in mind that Amtrak is very good about things like this. Unless you know someone who was booked that day, you can't say that Amtrak did or didn't notify passengers.

I don't know any more than anybody else, but I suspect the passenger loads are lighter on Monday & so it would be more practical to cancel then. Advance bookings over the weekend are probably pretty high. Delays are an inconvenience, but cancellation is an even greater inconvenience. This means that the cancellation on Monday will affect fewer passengers than it would on a weekend, and give Amtrak more lead time to notify passengers and rebook them on other dates.

I am on 97 now, the southbound silver meteor, south of Savannah. What appeared to be yesterday's auto train 52 passed us going north, not too long ago.

That looks about right based on the train tracker. The two trains are meeting each other near Charleston just now (9:10 AM).

97 is scheduled to make the run from CHS-ORL in 7h49m. Cut out the stops and that puts them just about exactly 7 hours down.

52 looks to be about 9 hours away, maybe they'll get in less then 10 hours down (doubt it).

When I try to put them in the tracker at 5:15pm, all I get is the stationary dot at Sanford and Lorton. And when I look at availability tomorrow for 52, it says cancelled. But you can book coach only on Tuesday, and only if you vehicle is a motorcycle. CJ

Northbound 52 left Sanford a short while ago. Southbound 53 still in Lorton, being prepared for departure. Both were theoretically scheduled to depart at 4 PM. Upon arrival tomorrow, both consists are to be held at their terminals for on time departure Tuesday. Chances are, reservations are very limited on Tuesday's trains because of reaccommodation of passengers originally scheduled for Monday. Sounds like both consists will carry maximum number of auto carriers.

Anyone knowing whats going on along the line because the annulment has done nothing, 52 has been departing late 3 out of the 4 days varying from 15 minutes to over 2 hours and its arrivals on 3 of 4 days late from 20 minutes to 4 and a half hours, and 53 had 2/4 departures over 2 hours late (because the other 2 departures were on time and early) and all of it's arrivals late, whats going on? is it the line etc?

Slow orders due to flash flood warnings up & down the east coast. From the train, you could see very high water yesterday morning in the area between Richmond and Fredericksburg. Many speed restrictions were in areas where the train passed in darkness, so water levels couldn't be seen from the train. There may have been other factors, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back