At Alco haeven for two days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
While I was in India I had a completely unplanned encounter with what turned out to be ALCO heaven, in the sense of the number of ALCO derivative locomotives that I got to see and hear in operation, while visiting my cousin's place at a place called Shantiniketan of Tagore's Vishwa Bharati University, about 140km north of Kolkata.

Shantiniketan is on Eastern Railway's Shahibganj Loop line which was originally the East Indian Railway (EIR) main line connecting Calcutta and Delhi, before what is today the Main Line and the even shorter Grand Chord were built. It was the backwaters of Indian Railways for many years after most of the traffic got diverted to the shorter routes, but things changed after the construction of the Farakka Barrage bridge across the Ganga, opening up a direct route to North Bengal, Assam and the Northeast from Calcutta. Shahibgunj Loop is one of the two main corridors that connects Kolkata to Farakka Barrage crossing of the Ganga.

It is slated for electrification in the current 5 year plan. But pending that, it is now a relatively heavily traveled diesel main line with an average of some 10 trains per hour in each direction passing Shantiniketan. The trains are a combination of freight - general and coal, pulled by diesels, DEMUs protecting short to medium distance runs and numerous typical Indian express trains 18 to 24 cars pulled diesels. The diesel engines are predominantly Alco Century derivatives of classes WDM2, WDM3 and variants, with a smattering of new EMD derivatives WDG3, WDP6 etc. A typical sort of train that passed by, hauled by WDM-2 from Howrah or Bardhaman sheds can be seen here.

My cousin's place is close to the railroad tracks, so even if one is sitting inside one can hear the typical Alco throbbing sounds as they thunder by with a freight or an express. The track is in a shallow cut by there, and it is easy to walk to the edge of the cut and watch them go by spewing black exhaust as they climb out of Bolpur-Shanitniketan station towards the Ajai River Bridge and Prantik station.

Well, as I said I spent two days watching and listening to and smelling the exhaust of numerous ALCO derivatives go by and was indeed in heaven.

I traveled to Shantiniketan from Howrah Station of Kolkata (reached by Howrah Bridge from Kolkata) by the

Ganadevata Express departs Howrah early in the morning at around 6:30am, and takes the longer route via Main Line to Bardhaman, stopping at Sheoraphuli and Bandel on the way. It is pulled the entire run by an ALCO derived diesel, though upto Khana Jct., beyond Bardhman the tracks are electrified 25kV 50Hz. After getting a hearty breakfast of boiled eggs, toast and tea at Bardhaman the train makes a quick run to Bolpur. On the way out we actually went on to the next stop at Prantik which is closer to my cousin's place, and disembarked there.

On the way back Shantiniketan Express starts from Bolpur at 1:30pm and is a quicker train with only two stops to Howrah. It runs non-stop from Bardhaman to Howrah via the shorter Chord line and gets into Howrah at 3:20pm, weaving through already heavy outbound suburban EMU traffic from Howrah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent report.. I now know that Alco Heaven is not the same place Alcohol Heaven!

I enjoyed the folk singer on the train too.. there is a good Southern Indian youtube video of a singer and musician

here:
Just as a matter of interest, do you have any recommendations for where to stay in Kolkata? I am considering a whirlwind rail tour of India in a few weeks time, and any tips would be welcome. Not looking for "Taj" but sensible medium prices.

(I have stayed in the railway retiring rooms at Kanyakamari... sadly these cannot be reserved in advance!)

Did you travel anywhere else in India by rail on this trip?

Best wishes,

Eddie :cool:

Jis...funny thing; when I was forced assigned years ago to an outlying job we used old RS-3's to switch. The house track was right outside the RR hotel where only crews stayed.There were few days that someone wouldn't ask me not to shut down my engines because the constant up and down droan of the Alcos put everyone to sleep while night the yard job slammed cars around less than 100' away.

Back