Article about new train Boston-Cape Cod

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering, is this the longest route of an MBTA train? Any others come close?
I'm interested too, what's the world's longest commuter rail ine? As in a freuqent rush-hour service to serve commuters, with much less service in the middle of the day.

If you mean non-Amtrak, as arguably the NEC has a few long distance commuters over portions, as well as other routes, such as the Keystone, I would say in the US, that 'honor' might go to the LIRR's Montauk line, at about 120 miles.....
Somehow, I posted incorrectly, and can't figure out how to add my comments to S H's separately....
That Montauk is pretty long. Does anyone know if there's some longer lines in foreign contries? I presume the UK and Japan both have some. Germany's S-Bahn was pretty long too. I don't think Deutsch Bahn's RegioExpress.

That is why buses were invented :)
Does the Plymouth & Brockton run further up the Cape?

That Montauk is pretty long. Does anyone know if there's some longer lines in foreign contries? I presume the UK and Japan both have some. Germany's S-Bahn was pretty long too. I don't think Deutsch Bahn's RegioExpress.
That question is ambiguous, since there is no clear definition of what is "Commuter" in other countries. If anything that is not intercity express service is commuter then there are many that are way longer than 120 miles elsewhere. Why wouldn't one consider DB's RegioExpress to be Commuter?
For that matter is going to seaside resorts exactly commuter travel? Is Montauk service really a commuter service?

That question is ambiguous, since there is no clear definition of what is "Commuter" in other countries. If anything that is not intercity express service is commuter then there are many that are way longer than 120 miles elsewhere. Why wouldn't one consider DB's RegioExpress to be Commuter?
For that matter is going to seaside resorts exactly commuter travel? Is Montauk service really a commuter service?
I know it's really hard to answer. I was just curious, but it's not all that important practically. I don't think the RegioExpress is exactly a commuter train because the RegioBahn is supposed to be the classic hub-and-spoke commuter train and the S-Bahn is kinda a interurban on the main line.

Just wondering, is this the longest route of an MBTA train? Any others come close?
I'm interested too, what's the world's longest commuter rail ine? As in a freuqent rush-hour service to serve commuters, with much less service in the middle of the day.

Railcars? No, looks like just the one or perhaps even a few cars has special stick on wrap, just like other advertizing wraps one sees from time to time. The second car in that train appears to be standard MBTA livery
So, it's like a big decal or transit advertising wrap? Maybe they will peel it off after the inauguration and just run at as a regular MBTA service.
After the inaugural run of the service? It's been running since Memorial Day weekend. Or do you mean after the inaugural year/summer of service?

And, it's not a regular MBTA service, it's more of a CCRTA service (or partnership between MBTA and CCRTA).
Eh, never mind.

I'll try this response again.....

Is Montak service really a commuter service?

Well lets see....The LIRR is a commuter railroad. It operates commuter equipment. It sells commutation type tickets. And for much of the Montauk line, it fits Swadian's definition of: "as in a frequent 'rush-hour' service to serve commuters, with much less service in the middle of the day"...

well, if it looks like a duck...quacks like a duck....etc :p

But then what do you do when Regio trains run as S routes like they do in Berlin? E.g. S1 from Magdeburg to Frankfurt (Oder) through Berlin?
Yes, the German train mushups. I am familiar with that, and I admit it's too hard to define what RegioExpress is.

Railcars? No, looks like just the one or perhaps even a few cars has special stick on wrap, just like other advertizing wraps one sees from time to time. The second car in that train appears to be standard MBTA livery
So, it's like a big decal or transit advertising wrap? Maybe they will peel it off after the inauguration and just run at as a regular MBTA service.
After the inaugural run of the service? It's been running since Memorial Day weekend. Or do you mean after the inaugural year/summer of service?

And, it's not a regular MBTA service, it's more of a CCRTA service (or partnership between MBTA and CCRTA).
Eh, never mind.

I'll try this response again.....

Is Montak service really a commuter service?

Well lets see....The LIRR is a commuter railroad. It operates commuter equipment. It sells commutation type tickets. And for much of the Montauk line, it fits Swadian's definition of: "as in a frequent 'rush-hour' service to serve commuters, with much less service in the middle of the day"...

well, if it looks like a duck...quacks like a duck....etc :p
:blink: :excl:

http://www.p-b.com/schedule-pdfs/6-22-13http://www.p-b.com/schedule-pdfs/6-22-13 PDF Schedule.pdf Yup.....all the way to P-town....go to page 2 of the pdf....
But if you notice it says things like "CVS (drug store)" or "Park & Ride". I have never seen a train stop at a CVS. It sounds like a bus to me. Besides, there are no railroad tracks on the lower Cape up to P-Town. (The Cape in that area is narrow.)
And correct an earlier statement, it not Amtrak at all. It is MBTA. The original Amtrak Cape Codder only ran as far north (at least the last stop on the NEC) to PVD. It turned off for the Cape well before Boston.

Traveler, I am glad you pointed out that important distinction in routes between the Amtrak Cape Codder and this new MBTA service.

My understanding is that the Amtrak run Cape Codder went to PVD and then turned EAST and headed out through Southeastern Mass, like along the routing of I-195, out to the Cape. It was not a service that ran from Boston.

This new MBTA service runs from Boston. The only way to get to it from PVD would be to go north up to Boston and then back down.

Also, someone asked way up thread if this was the longest MBTA routing. I don't know if the train from Boston to Wickford Junction might be longer than this new Cape Cod train? I'm too lazy to look it up right now but that one might be about the same distance. Wickford Junction is the newest stop on the MBTA, its two stops south of Providence and almost to KIN! I believe some AUers rode it last year when there was teh OTOL railfest, sorry I wasn't able to join you all for it but I had to work. :(

Work? :huh: Sure! :giggle:

I'm not sure if the old Amtrak Cape Codder turned east after PVD to run on the South Coast near I-195. I may be wrong, but I think it may have turned east like near Mansfield to run near I-495.

And I do think BOS-Wickford Junction may be just a little longer. If they ever build the third track and continue MBTA to KIN, that will be longer!

In 1986 the Amtrak Cape Codder ran from Washington, DC to Cape Cod. The train turned off the NEC at Attleboro and ran east via Taunton and Middleboro, MA where it joined the line from Boston to Cape Cod.

In 1986 the Amtrak Cape Codder ran from Washington, DC to Cape Cod. The train turned off the NEC at Attleboro and ran east via Taunton and Middleboro, MA where it joined the line from Boston to Cape Cod.
Thank your for the clarification! Are those tracks in decent enough shape to still run passenger trains? it would actually be great to have a rail connection there that could connect over that way without having to go all the way to Boston.

Also, I feel like I heard something about folks in either Fall River or New Bedford wanting rail service.

I don't recall any cutoff around Attleboro, not to say there isn't or wasn't. As far as service to both Fall River and New Bedford, there are no tracks now. MBTA has to build the line, and with all the politics/environmental studies/NIMBY's/etc, that's why it's taking so long!

Just some information about service to Provincetown:

The Old Colony Railroad began service to P town in 1873. Passenger service continued until 1938, after which only freight service was provided. The tracks were removed in 1960.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The wikipedia page for Old Colony Railroad has a decent map. It shows the former Cape Codder route (Providence-Attleboro-Middleborough-Buzzards Bay-Hyannis) as well as a whole host of other lines (some currently operated by Amtrak and MBTA, some not).

Thank your for the clarification! Are those tracks in decent enough shape to still run passenger trains? it would actually be great to have a rail connection there that could connect over that way without having to go all the way to Boston.

Also, I feel like I heard something about folks in either Fall River or New Bedford wanting rail service.
Those are currently CSX freight tracks and are in fair shape. There is also freight car service to Fall River and New Bedford industrial customers on tracks now owned by Massachusetts DOT. Commuter rail to Fall River and New Bedford has been proposed by the last 4 MA governors but the money isn't available.

I don't recall any cutoff around Attleboro, not to say there isn't or wasn't. As far as service to both Fall River and New Bedford, there are no tracks now. MBTA has to build the line, and with all the politics/environmental studies/NIMBY's/etc, that's why it's taking so long!
The cutoff is from the Attleboro freight siding along the two track main line. You can follow the route using Google Maps satellite view. This is an easterly route which crosses the north/south line which splits to New Bedford and Fall River. I think the gap in the north/south track from Stoughton to Taunton is 11 miles or so. The publisher of the major area newspaper was the biggest NIMBY with frequent anti-rail editorials. He was able to influence the local politicians into fighting the shortest route through the town of Easton,MA., the home off Oliver and Oakes Ames of UP transcontinental railroad fame. He failed to mention that his residence abutted the railbed and was near two crossings where he would hear the train's horn..

9:45 pm Friday the CapeFlyer to Boston went into "emergency" in Wareham, MA for a person lying between the tracks. The train was able to stop in time due to the slow speed through Wareham , about 30 mph.. The person finally got up and unsteadily ran away apparently eluded the responding police.

I don't know what is offered on other commuter railroads, but the CapeFlyer is not an LD train between Chicago and Denver. It is a commuter train. I haven't been on it, but have ridden many other MBTA routes and they don't offer food service either.

Ah but the website mentions food service but not details.

Come on Dave, think about who is talking.

I wonder what the food service on there is like.
The CapeFlyer has a cafe/bar(concession) car with the usual snacks, sandwiches and drinks.The coming menu is not available, yet. The train service is leased from the MBTA by the Greater Cape Cod Transit Authority(GCCRTA). It is not considered as a MBTA commuter service.

This is the special cafe/bar car that does not run on any MBTA commuter train.

The photo was taken at Buzzard Bay, MA station last year on the first return run off Cape Cod

Work is continuing on the high platform at Wareham station. Actually the platform is several hundred yards north of the existing station too clear the grade crossing in the town center which is also US Route 6 . This should be a major stop for the CapeFlyer. The seaside town population swells by three times in the summer.

New high level platform under construction, May 9, 2014

old platform and station (rest rooms only)

edited to add photos

Back