Arriving Emeryville, Departing Oakland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot1181

Lead Service Attendant
On the CZ we arrive San Francisco via Emeryville, but resuming our trip on the CS to LA we depart Oakland. Any reason? Also Amtrak called and said the CZ will be one hour early into EMY. Another any reason? Spot

1) The California Zephyr ends in Emeryville, which is just a few miles from Oakland (the Amtrak maintenance facility is between the two, which is why the train doesn't go to Oakland), hence your bus from Emeryville.

2) Coast Starlight San Francisco bus connections to/from the south are made at Oakland, since it is further south than Emeryville (travel time on the bus is pretty much the same from either one).

3) Due to trackwork done by the Union Pacific, Amtrak has been able to speed up the schedule of the California Zephyr a little bit. So, that's why your train is scheduled to arrive an hour earlier. Whether or not it actually will arrive an hour earlier...that's another question.

You're arriving into EMY and departing from OKJ? Did you reserve these yourself or did you have a reason for wanting to depart on the CS from OKJ? Because the CS also departs from EMY. (I know! I know! {Raises hand high!} :p You're probably departing from SF to LA. The Thruway buses from SF that connect to the southbound CS connect in OKJ!)

The CZ is SCHEDULED :lol: to arrive into EMY earlier than before due to the (semi) completion of trackwork by UP that allows the CZ to run without as many delays :lol: - like it will arrive early!

Thanks for the reply, I thought that might be the reason. And yes, don't worry about your mail being contaminated, I use hand sanitizer. Tanks again, Spot

One more question. For the Oakland bus pickup, what is the closest stop to The Golden Gate Hotel on Bush St? SF Shopping Center or Ferry Building.

I don't know the answer. But just remember that except for the Ferry Building, all the rest of the SF bus stops are just that - bus stops with a bus stop sign! Only the Ferry Building is an actual building with a waiting area. And the Ferry Building is the only one where you can check baggage.

One more question. For the Oakland bus pickup, what is the closest stop to The Golden Gate Hotel on Bush St? SF Shopping Center or Ferry Building.
Your hotel is about seven blocks from the SF Shopping Center, and about twice that from the Ferry Building. Probably farther than you would care to walk with luggage in either case. Personally, I would put convenience before distance and use the Ferry Bldg. It should be easier to get a cab there than just being dropped off at a street-corner in the middle of town. And for the return trip, it is much more satisfying to start from a staffed depot than just waiting at a street-corner and wondering if the bus is ever really going to come (or perhaps has already left)...

On the CZ we arrive San Francisco via Emeryville, but resuming our trip on the CS to LA we depart Oakland. Any reason? Also Amtrak called and said the CZ will be one hour early into EMY. Another any reason? Spot
aloha

I have no idea about where your hotel is or connection schedule but when I stayed in San Francisco for the OTOL Rail Fest I stayed at the Jack London Inn for 50 dollars a night and use the Oakland Ferry for 5 dollars to go back and fourth. The Ferry Dock is 3 blocks from the train Station and just over a block from the Hotel. The people at the Hotel were very nice and I enjoyed hearing and seeing the trains outside my room window.

Just an idea for you to consider.

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back