Are there Crying Kids in Roomettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if "brat" is a loaded term, but I do know that when I'm in Wisconsin, I enjoy ordering

a loaded brat. But if it sits out on the counter too long, it becomes a spoiled brat, which in turn

induces some crying on my part.

1) Eating in the snack car is not the same as eating in the dining car. First of all, the food in the dining car is better. Secondly, it's free.
You consider the food in the dining car as free? Umm it is included in the price of your ticket, it is not free. You pay for it I can assure you.
The Dread Pirate didn't say that second part that you claim he did.

And stupid semantics aside, it is free. You can walk into the diner and walk out without paying anything. Not something you can do in the cafe car, so his point stands.

1) Eating in the snack car is not the same as eating in the dining car. First of all, the food in the dining car is better. Secondly, it's free.
You consider the food in the dining car as free? Umm it is included in the price of your ticket, it is not free. You pay for itI can assure you.

And stupid semantics aside, it is free. You can walk into the diner and walk out without paying anything. Not something you can do in the cafe car, so his point stands.
But that's not free. It's included with the fare. I was thinking complimentary might be a better term (in most cases implied to mean there are strings attached), but that could mean absolutely free or included with another purchase.

Of course it could be like the Chevy Chase commercial where he finds a charge on his hotel bill for something that was "complementary" - as in "It complements your room".

I am traveling a long journey on Amtrak next week (Chicago to Reno), and have paid extra for my own Roomette. My questions are-
1. Do a lot of kids also end up in the private rooms? I don't want to have spent all this money, and wind up next to crying brats. If that is the case, I might as well paid for a coach seat. Are the rooms well insulated from noise once you close the doors? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Can I have the train attendant deliver my meals to my room? I don't want to go to the public dining car- sitting with strangers isn't my cup of tea since I am doing this journey to get away from people. I'm a nice guy, just trying to be to myself.

3. How hard is it to turn your seats into a bed? I heard the attendant does this when you're at breakfast in the morning- what if I want to sleep in? Is there a Do Not Disturb sign I put on my door? Thanks for the tips!
Here are my comments:

1. I have seen children in all parts of the sleeper. As someone else pointed, the adults can be the same noise makers as children. Travelling you do have to realize that the younger set are away from home, not in their "safe zone" so they might get fussy. This happens on airlines as well and with airlines guess what? You can hear them crying in coach from first class. Right off the bat, it might sound safer if you rented a car to drive that.

2. Yes you can have all your meals brought to your room, guest tip extra to your SCA.

3. I usually have the attendent do my beds and if the attendant offeres good service tey automatically change while you are at breakfast. Leaving a note may help, leaving your stuff on the bed may help also. There is not a do not disturb, you could make one at home and tape to the inside of the glass. The doors lock from the inside only, and genearly the closed door and curtains closed signals a do no disturb, but not the rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you buy a sleeping car ticket that doesn't have meals included?

Is there a publicly available breakout that tells you how much of your ticket price is going to pay for your meals and how much is for the accommodation?

You also get access to Club Acela and Met Lounges with your sleeper ticket as well. Are those considered "free", or are you paying for that too?

What about the bottled water? Coffee? Is that free too?

It's a meaningless distinction without a difference adding precisely nothing of value to the conversation.

I don't know if "brat" is a loaded term, but I do know that when I'm in Wisconsin, I enjoy orderinga loaded brat. But if it sits out on the counter too long, it becomes a spoiled brat, which in turn

induces some crying on my part.
Heaven forbid if the OP ventures here this weekend. However, I think you could find a non-communal picnic table over by the bank of porta-potties. http://www.bratfest.com/

This:

While I certainly understand that some people want to argue for the sake of ...well argueing, I didn't read the OP as saying all kids are brats as much as he was saying all brats are kids. However, I would argue THAT point because many adults I see act like brats.
Discuss, there will be a test on Thursday
Well done sir/ma'am.

Almost there! :p

Super Moon on June 23 - be prepared!

currentmoon_zpsf4fe3b80.jpg

You consider the food in the dining car as free? Umm it is included in the price of your ticket, it is not free. You pay for it I can assure you.

I did not put that he said it, the website did. I said that last part. I would think if you walked out without signing your ticket then you would be getting it for free. The mean is charged against your sleeper reservation. It is not free, it is included in the price that you pay when you purchase your ticket.

I did not put that he said it, the website did. I said that last part. I would think if you walked out without signing your ticket then you would be getting it for free. The mean is charged against your sleeper reservation. It is not free, it is included in the price that you pay when you purchase your ticket.
And you pay the sleeper fare regardless if you eat diner food or not. So it can be considered "free".

I'm sure many first time sleeper riders are unaware that the food is included in the room accommodation cost and calculate meals when budgeting their trip. By not having to include food in the diner in my budget, it is "free" on my spreadsheet.

Such nitpickers here on AU. :rolleyes:

I actually thought about that for a minute after I typed it, and thought "are people going to comment on a semantic argument? No, they'll get the point - eating in the dining car is free AS COMPARED TO THE SNACK CAR. No one will be distracted by that." Clearly, I was wrong!

Well, technically, part of the meal may indeed be free, if by that you mean "taxpayer subsidized". Since Amtrak loses money on dining, and the difference between what Amtrak takes in and what it spends is (more or less) covered by government spending, then the amount Amtrak loses on each meal is paid by the taxpayer. Of course, as a taxpayer, that means me, so I guess I do end up paying for it in the end.

I actually thought about that for a minute after I typed it, and thought "are people going to comment on a semantic argument? No, they'll get the point - eating in the dining car is free AS COMPARED TO THE SNACK CAR. No one will be distracted by that." Clearly, I was wrong!

Well, technically, part of the meal may indeed be free, if by that you mean "taxpayer subsidized". Since Amtrak loses money on dining, and the difference between what Amtrak takes in and what it spends is (more or less) covered by government spending, then the amount Amtrak loses on each meal is paid by the taxpayer. Of course, as a taxpayer, that means me, so I guess I do end up paying for it in the end.
Did I read here somewhere that one can exchange a meal in the Diner for a visit to the Cafe under certain circumstances? Like if you missed lunch or dinner in the diner altogether for some reason?

Almost there! :p Super Moon on June 23 - be prepared!

You said June 23rd.
Ah, that was just a warning for next month.

I put this month's calender up for current conditions.

I was on a 7 hour delayed CZ last year around this time during a Super Moon - it was pretty bad and it wasn't because of brats either.

Still enjoyed my trip immensely - the side shows and train expulsions were numerous though.

Almost there! :p Super Moon on June 23 - be prepared!

You said June 23rd.
Ah, that was just a warning for next month.

I put this month's calender up for current conditions.

I was on a 7 hour delayed CZ last year around this time during a Super Moon - it was pretty bad and it wasn't because of brats either.

Still enjoyed my trip immensely - the side shows and train expulsions were numerous though.
Did the moonlight make it easier to see things in the middle of nowhere at night?

Did the moonlight make it easier to see things in the middle of nowhere at night?
From my experience, it can - if the train is dark around you. I try to travel near a full moon, if possible. If you have a roomette / bedroom and you can shut the door, close the curtain, and turn off your room lights, then the moonlight can make a big difference. If there's too much ambient light, it just reflects off the window & you can't see much outside anyway.

Aloha

The staff is concerned about this thread, and a couple of others. If the direction of this tread continues in the same manner as a few of the previous messages, this thread will stop and or go away.

the direction of this tread continues in the same manner as a few of the previous messages, this thread will stop and or go away.
Thank you. Please be specific as to what 'same manner' means. I don't know what that even means. Please explain. I'll happily play by the rules. But, I need to know what they are. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back