Are there Crying Kids in Roomettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for saying I'm going nuts. That wasn't very nice. In fact it was insulting. Do you say that to strangers on the train?
Only AUers, I said nothing of the sort.....I was refering to myself. When the post about "previous posts" was made, I kept looking back and rereading to figure out what he was talking abiut. Now I find out the posts he was talking about....he deleted, wait what ?

Well, I'm not stupid but I'm not physic either. How the heck am I supposed to moderate my behavior as to not act like the post.....um that were deleted ?

Back in my early days of teaching I would sub for a bus route if a friend ( bus driver ) was sick. He would give me the name and address of the first kid and said THAT kid would tell me the next stop. He didn't bother telling me the kid was a first grader who would say " ok, now to to the house where the boat used to be parked".

Well, at THIS point, the only thing to say is " I like waffles"

I think a moderator should lock this thread immediately before it becomes any more juvenile. This is a site for mature adults, and Amtrak-mongering discussions like this have no place in our community. Mods: please lock or delete this thread immediately.

Okay here I am again- the OP and I would like to say a few things:
1. I am sorry if I offended anyone by referring to children as brats. Not all children are brats- and kids as a whole donnot deserve this distinction. I was just asking if children are audibly loud if I'm in my Roomette. For anyone I offended or anyone who mistook my question as ignorance, I apologize. I am truly not a jerk, nor am I someone who is anti-social. I am just trying to take a trip away from it all, and want a little solitude. I actually don't mind track noise or whistles- that's part of a train's mechanism. I do however, get a little irritable if I hear crying that won't stop for hours at a time. Yes it's a gamble on who will be traveling with me, which is why I was asking about how much of the noise you hear if your door is closed.

2. I don't mind eating in the dining car at all- it's a way to escape closed quarters. However this is a 2 1/2 day trip- a few meals I might wish to have be brought to my room, so I was inquiring about if that was possible. I don't mind talking to strangers, but again- I talk to people for a living, and this trip is letting me get away from everything; allotting me some alone time. I'm even silencing my phone calls from friends and family, unless an emergency.

I really wasn't trying to give the impression I was being a jerk. I am not- so sorry again for offending anyone.
I think this was addressed on page, one, but here goes:

A sleeper, in general, is MUCH more quiet than coach. You CAN really have solitude. Don't want the attendant to bother you about dining times or other enroute advertisements? Just say so to him/her. They should comply. With your door closed and your curtains drawn, you are certainly isolated. Perhaps a bedroom would offer more solitude than a roomette, as the cavernous rooms have no room across the aisle - just next to you. On my most recent roomette trip to NYP, I felt as though I was the only passenger on the train.

I'm sure that you will enjoy your trip. Recently, however, our enthusiam for one new rider was evidently not saturated with enough realistic expectations. He and his sister wound up having a very disappointing journey.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Expect being late. Anticipate poor service. Be aware of rough trackage. And when your ride is comfortable and the service is great, you'll likely return. Keep in communication with your attendant with regards to when you would like to dine in the diner, and when you would like to have your food brought to you. And please consider a gratuity for any extra work they provide you with. This is Amtrak - not the Orient Express. You can have an incredible trip - even if everything goes wrong - if you anticipate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is going to be locked by agreement of the staff. Any subsequent "follow up threads" (unless it contains a new and legitimate question) will also be closed. The original question has been answered.

When I've had posts deleted (or edited on my behalf) either due to my own malfeasance or cleaning up after someone else's, the mods have always been good about contacting me privately and explaining their actions.
This!

We prefer to contact people privately in many cases, rather than doing it publicly and potentially embarrassing the person whose post got edited/deleted.

"Sneaking Booze in a Hip Flask In Coach" is my new forum name.
Is that so wrong?
Probably not so wrong, but I suspect that the name is far longer than the software will permit, so you'll get shot down for that reason by the software.

MAY WE HAVE ANTHONY ADDRESS US? PLEASE?

It's way past time.

Thanks!
Ryan has more than once given you a rundown of the rules. What further clarification is needed?

One thing that I will add though is that you please make requests for locking threads and such via PM's, rather than in the actual topic. After all, more posts in the topic only brings it right back to the top of the topic list. Plus, the staff doesn't live on the forum, so we may not see such a request for a while. I believe however that most of us have our PM's setup to send us an email when we get a PM. So this is simply the better method to contact us if you really think that a topic has gotten out of hand and should be locked.

And for all, the "Report" button should only be used for the most egregious events like politics gone awry or a personal attack. Requesting topics be locked, posts be edited or moved, etc. should be done by PM please.

Finally, in light of my current posts, I'm going to overrule my mod (Sorry Dave) and reopen this topic to further posts for now.

And for all, the "Report" button should only be used for the most egregious events like politics gone awry or a personal attack. Requesting topics be locked, posts be edited or moved, etc. should be done by PM please.
Thanks for the clarification on that one - I'm certainly guilty of taking the lazy way of contacting all you guys by (ab)using the post reporting feature.

When I've had posts deleted (or edited on my behalf) either due to my own malfeasance or cleaning up after someone else's, the mods have always been good about contacting me privately and explaining their actions.
This!

We prefer to contact people privately in many cases, rather than doing it publicly and potentially embarrassing the person whose post got edited/deleted.
Just FYI

Yesterday, 4 of my posts were deleted and one complete thread removed with zero private messages sent to me with an explanation.

To chime in.... on topic. I routinely travel in sleepers and I have seen (and heard) a few loud children, but not that many. I agree with previous posters that there are more loud adults than loud children. I travel with ear plugs .... just in case.

And..... I am with Ryan, in that I may have over-used the Report button also. Sorry mods.

This!

Just FYI

Yesterday, 4 of my posts were deleted and one complete thread removed with zero private messages sent to me with an explanation.
And I apologize for that and will be reminding the staff of the need to contact people when they take action. Until tonight I've actually not had much time on the forum between work, various family matters (good one's), and some forum stuff. So I'm just catching up on things.

I will tell you that I believe that most of the things you refer to were simply hidden, not deleted, and at least a few were being discussed in the moderators forum. One thing I will say is that starting a new topic on a topic that has already gone bye-bye probably isn't the best thing to do.

When I have some free time this weekend, I'll contact you privately with a bit more info.

This!

Just FYI

And I apologize for that and will be reminding the staff of the need to contact people when they take action. Until tonight I've actually not had much time on the forum between work, various family matters (good one's), and some forum stuff. So I'm just catching up on things.

I will tell you that I believe that most of the things you refer to were simply hidden, not deleted, and at least a few were being discussed in the moderators forum. One thing I will say is that starting a new topic on a topic that has already gone bye-bye probably isn't the best thing to do.

When I have some free time this weekend, I'll contact you privately with a bit more info.
Thanks! I appreciate that.

Jon, I could have written every one of your posts verbatim. It's like you were in my head. It's pretty awesome how eye-to-eye we are on things.

Therefore, since I understand your perspective, I will chime in.

I also work with the public, on the phone, every single day. The last thing I want to do when I'm finally away from work is engage in small talk with other people. I don't want to wear that mask anymore. I don't want to fake smiling and caring anymore. I don't want to follow The Script anymore. I want peace and quiet where it's all about me because I've been serving them for 40-50 hours this week, even when I wanted to punch half of them in the face.

I enjoy eating in the diner but hate the small talk. Now, according to DA, I should be required to stay in my room for meals to save him from an awkward dinner. But, by rights, I've paid my fare and deserve to eat in the diner with the extroverts. I'm an introvert, and we deserve as much respect and service as the extroverts. So, if I'm a bit quiet or shy, deal with it. At least I'm nice when I do speak up.

I knew what you meant by "brats". You mean the kids who shriek and shriek and shriek and their parents are deaf to it by now and simply don't care enough to address the reason for the shrieking. Yes, kids cry, and yes, I understand why they cry, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It isn't cute; it's annoying. In fact, for me, it's downright unbearable. I'm a high-functioning autistic, and I am incredibly sensitive to noise. Incredibly. The slightest surprise sound (annoying sounds, not things like a purring cat) will make me jump and put my nerves on edge instantly. My tolerance level is much, much, much lower than the average person. I've been known to stand there with my eyes shut, trying not to rock and cry, trying not to put my hands over my ears, when too many people are talking at a wedding or in a crowd. Sometimes I fail. That's why I wear earbuds all the time. I have to drown out the world to save my sanity 75% of the time.

When you combine that with my job, it makes quiet time imperative. I. Need. That. Break.

So, I can say this to you, and you can trust me on it:

When I am in my roomette, with the door shut and the curtains drawn, sounds are pretty muffled. You'll still hear people talking if they're in the hallway, but it's like listening through a window. I was really surprised at how insulated the roomette was the first time I traveled in one. I keep my curtain drawn to prevent visual stimulation from the hallway (and I hate when people look at me like a zoo animal). If there are people talking in the hallway and it starts to annoy me, my earbuds are enough to drown it out (as long as the door is shut). I also sleep quite well at night. The PA wakes me up in the morning, even though I turn the room speaker off, but that's because the PA is REALLY SQUAWKING LOUD. Even then, however, I can put my earbuds back in and get another couple hours of sleep.

I hope that helps. If you would like to PM me and discuss this further, or vent to a fellow customer service curmudgeon, please join the AU forum. That, or you can find a link to my Facebook in my profile (assuming guests can see that... not sure...)

If we ever meet on the train, I'll be sure to wave a shy "hello" and then duck back into my room where I can be socially awkward in peace. No offense meant, of course. ;)

Cheers! :)

~Sorcha

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew what you meant by "brats". You mean the kids who shriek and shriek and shriek and their parents are deaf to it by now and simply don't care enough to address the reason for the shrieking. Yes, kids cry, and yes, I understand why they cry, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It isn't cute; it's annoying. In fact, for me, it's downright unbearable. I'm a high-functioning autistic, and I am incredibly sensitive to noise. Incredibly. The slightest surprise sound (annoying sounds, not things like a purring cat) will make me jump and put my nerves on edge instantly. My tolerance level is much, much, much lower than the average person. I've been known to stand there with my eyes shut, trying not to rock and cry, trying not to put my hands over my ears, when too many people are talking at a wedding or in a crowd. Sometimes I fail. That's why I wear earbuds all the time. I have to drown out the world to save my sanity 75% of the time.
This. Precisely how I feel as well! i don't think I'm quite as sensitive to sound as you are, but you will always be able to pick me out of a crowd since I'll be the one with the big noise cancelling headphones.

And regardless of age, any shrieking, crying, whining is annoying and unbearable - be the sound emitter 5 or 55.

And regardless of age, any shrieking, crying, whining is annoying and unbearable - be the sound emitter 5 or 55.
Exactly. It's the noise itself that bothers me, not that it's a kid. I like kids. I just don't like noise. Since kids tend to be noisy, people tend to think I don't like kids. In reality, I get that "shut up shut up shut up shut up" look on my face because of the noise, not the otherwise adorable child who's currently emulating an air raid siren while their poor parents keep reaching into their bag of parental tricks to get it to calm down. ;)

To answer the original question. While it cannot be guaranteed, in riding in sleeper cars since 1965 regularly I never remember hearing a baby or young child cry. I was annoyed in earllier years to be in room next to a chain smoker(at the time smoking was aloud only in the sleepers) and lots of hall noise from passengers passing from one sleeper to another late at night. During the day, I have always been aware of and spoke with my across the aisle neighbors and others. And a few years ago, my neighbor in the roomette behind me had a seeing eye dog and was a great neighbor. Every trip is a new experience. Maybe your first trip in a roomette will include a crying child nearby. If so, be thankful it is not an obnoxious drunk.

OP (Jon) - I forgot to mention that if you call Amtrak directly, you can ask for an upper-level roomette in the middle of the car (if there are any available). This will help cut down on noise, as you're away from the doors and restroom. Additionally, being on the upper level means you won't be anywhere near the Family Bedroom. I usually ask for Roomette #5 or #6.

This. Precisely how I feel as well! i don't think I'm quite as sensitive to sound as you are, but you will always be able to pick me out of a crowd since I'll be the one with the big noise cancelling headphones.

That's the thing. While the OP professed that there was no hatred of children, a suggestion was made for adult-only routes. That doesn't say to me that the annoyance factor was the point but rather wanting to travel on trains without children.

I know kids in movie theaters is often brought up as annoying, but I find that they're enjoying the experience. The most annoying thing I've experienced was an elderly couple having difficulty setting up their assisted listening devices and talking loudly about what they were doing wrong. I instantly walked out, complained to the manager, and asked for a refund. I didn't get that refund, but did get a reentry ticket that allowed me to come back for any movie at any time. I also found it odd that they had them. They were from standard ticket rolls with numbered tickets that allowed a complimentary entry at any time for any movie. I'm curious as to why they didn't just kick out the couple and ask them to come back later (the entire theater seemed pissed at them) but I suppose facing an A.D.A. complaint wasn't something they were looking forward to.

That's the thing. While the OP professed that there was no hatred of children, a suggestion was made for adult-only routes. That doesn't say to me that the annoyance factor was the point but rather wanting to travel on trains without children.

I know kids in movie theaters is often brought up as annoying, but I find that they're enjoying the experience. The most annoying thing I've experienced was an elderly couple having difficulty setting up their assisted listening devices and talking loudly about what they were doing wrong. I instantly walked out, complained to the manager, and asked for a refund. I didn't get that refund, but did get a reentry ticket that allowed me to come back for any movie at any time. I also found it odd that they had them. They were from standard ticket rolls with numbered tickets that allowed a complimentary entry at any time for any movie. I'm curious as to why they didn't just kick out the couple and ask them to come back later (the entire theater seemed pissed at them) but I suppose facing an A.D.A. complaint wasn't something they were looking forward to.
Come on folks, the OP is the same person, different names, that has given us so much trouble in several other threads. He has no interest in any of your responses, only that he has stirred the pot.

Being one who would need any assistive listening device in a movie theater (or any other venue), I feel it would have been better if the manager had gone in to help the couple set up the device. I suspect he had no clue how to use it. It's a royal pain for hard-of-hearing/deaf people to try to enjoy what most people take for granted.

Come on folks, the OP is the same person, different names, that has given us so much trouble in several other threads. He has no interest in any of your responses, only that he has stirred the pot.
I was starting to wonder earlier today if he was the same person.

Being one who would need any assistive listening device in a movie theater (or any other venue), I feel it would have been better if the manager had gone in to help the couple set up the device. I suspect he had no clue how to use it. It's a royal pain for hard-of-hearing/deaf people to try to enjoy what most people take for granted.
I have no issue that they were using such a device. However, in their (in my estimation) at least 75 years on this planet I would have thought they would have known that talking loudly in a movie theater was considered poor manners. They were at it for five minutes and they weren't even looking at the screen but looking at the devices. In that case I'm wondering why they didn't just exit and ask an employee how to use the thing.

That's also the strange thing about technology that's supposed to aid (primarily) the elderly. My parents have a heck of a time trying to figure out technology. They'd call me over if they need help with their computer. I used to always be the one to program their VCR. I can't tell you how many times I've gone over because they "couldn't print" because they simply didn't select the physical printer from the drop down menu (seems to default to Microsoft OneNote quite often).

I can forgive children for creating minor annoyances. Most will eventually learn or grow out of a particular phase in life. It's the adults who should know better, but either are oblivious to how badly they're annoying others or just don't care.

Regardless, it opened up a discussion that I've been enjoying, whether or not "he" is still listening or paying attention. Plus, other people might get their questions answered (such as my post about asking for a room near the middle of the car if you're sensitive to noise). I'm not feeding anyone or anything at this point, other than the conversation.

I have no issue that they were using such a device. However, in their (in my estimation) at least 75 years on this planet I would have thought they would have known that talking loudly in a movie theater was considered poor manners. They were at it for five minutes and they weren't even looking at the screen but looking at the devices. In that case I'm wondering why they didn't just exit and ask an employee how to use the thing.

That's also the strange thing about technology that's supposed to aid (primarily) the elderly. My parents have a heck of a time trying to figure out technology. They'd call me over if they need help with their computer. I used to always be the one to program their VCR. I can't tell you how many times I've gone over because they "couldn't print" because they simply didn't select the physical printer from the drop down menu (seems to default to Microsoft OneNote quite often).

I can forgive children for creating minor annoyances. Most will eventually learn or grow out of a particular phase in life. It's the adults who should know better, but either are oblivious to how badly they're annoying others or just don't care.
Speaking LOUDLY from experience. When you can't hear well, you talk LOUD. Yes, I try not to, but sometimes can't help it. If both of these elderly people are HoH, then they needed to talk loud so they could hear each other. I'm not saying you and the others shouldn't have been annoyed, just giving you the perspective from a HoH/Deaf person. And I am not elderly. I started losing my hearing in my 30's (genetic, not loud music).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back