Are guests allowed to visit our Bedroom?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen people do it before on my trains and have never heard about it becoming a problem, nor have I had a personal problem with it. As long as they are occompanied by a first class passenger.

Having paid for tickets for 7 (we booked our 6 year old to share our bedroom) and two bedrooms...a third sleeper is a little too costly for our budget! Hope that doesn't make us bad parents.

A little surprised by the hostility.

Based upon the responses..a tip up front and an introduction to the steward, combined with our normal consideration for others, should take care of things.

Thanks to all

Having paid for tickets for 7 (we booked our 6 year old to share our bedroom) and two bedrooms...a third sleeper is a little too costly for our budget! Hope that doesn't make us bad parents.
A little surprised by the hostility.

Based upon the responses..a tip up front and an introduction to the steward, combined with our normal consideration for others, should take care of things.

Thanks to all
No, it doesn't make you bad parents. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
You aren't bad parents. :) Nobody should expect you to pay for their trip, given their ages. I hope they can come visit you!

Of course it doesn't make you bad parents. The self - appointed behavior police, who have decided that they and they alone hold all the answers as to what everyone else should and shouldn't do (one of the foibles of human behavior I find particularly loathsome :angry: are the ones with the problem, not you. Enjoy your trip! :)

Your room, bring whomever you want to it.
That is just simply and plainly wrong on several levels. First off, it's against the rules. Secondly, it's NOT your room; it's Amtrak's....you are "renting" it and should follow the rules. Thirdly, it may bother other sleeper pax.... I could go on, but it's comments like this that give this forum a bad rep...

Of course it doesn't make you bad parents. The self - appointed behavior police, who have decided that they and they alone hold all the answers as to what everyone else should and shouldn't do (one of the foibles of human behavior I find particularly loathsome :angry: are the ones with the problem, not you. Enjoy your trip! :)
Wait, what?! So now those of us who replied in good faith are the "loathsome behavior police?"

Wait, what?! So now those of us who replied in good faith are the "loathsome behavior police?"
Don't get your knickers in a knot, DA. I was simply referring to the post that castigated the OP for buying a roomette for themselves and not their adult children "forcing" them to ride in the coaches. Nothing to do with you or others that replied in good faith. Sorry I wasn't so accomodating in getting into one of your famous point - counterpoint arguments. ;)

That is just simply and plainly wrong on several levels. First off, it's against the rules.
Where is that written down?
As Ryan points out- such is written absolutely nowhere I can find. Considering the frequency I have done such and the degree to which EVERY Amtrak employee involved has been ok with it (probably over 50 by now), I highly doubt such is the case. The ticket agents said such is fine. The gate people said such is fine. The sleeping car attendents said such is fine. The conductors said such is fine. Nobody has said such is wrong outside of posters here.

Notes: I have never tried to fit more than 2 people in a roomette nor more than 3 in a bedroom. Also, I do not try to sneak meals to people who are not on the reservation. Some crews will give you a meal for 2 people even if one is on the reservation, some won't. Just be up front about it and you should be ok.

That is just simply and plainly wrong on several levels. First off, it's against the rules.
As Ryan points out- such is written absolutely nowhere I can find. Considering the frequency I have done such and the degree to which EVERY Amtrak employee involved has been ok with it (probably over 50 by now), I highly doubt such is the case. The ticket agents said such is fine. The gate people said such is fine. The sleeping car attendents said such is fine. The conductors said such is fine. Nobody has said such is wrong outside of posters here.
Notes: I have never tried to fit more than 2 people in a roomette nor more than 3 in a bedroom. Also, I do not try to sneak meals to people who are not on the reservation. Some crews will give you a meal for 2 people even if one is on the reservation, some won't. Just be up front about it and you should be ok.
Actually you are committing fraud by having people in the sleepers who have not paid for the privilege. Plus the employees are violating the rules. You may think it is OK, but I doubt if the ticket agents, gate personnel, attendants or conductors have give you permission.....especially over 50 times!

A sleeper accommodation charge is paid only once, regardless of the number of people using it. (50 is a rough estimate, but 5 trips consisting of two trains each, never with a problem I think easily involves 50 employees. If such a rule existed, I highly suspect at least one would have known about it.)

Wow, I wonder how many people answering now have actually read the original post?

They asked if it was OK for their children to VISIT them during the day...not sleep...not eat...VISIT!

It's "written down" on the doors to each sleeper car on every LD train I've been on....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I wonder how many people answering now have actually read the original post?They asked if it was OK for their children to VISIT them during the day...not sleep...not eat...VISIT!
I was just wondering the same thing.

Actually you are committing fraud by having people in the sleepers who have not paid for the privilege. Plus the employees are violating the rules. You may think it is OK, but I doubt if the ticket agents, gate personnel, attendants or conductors have give you permission.....especially over 50 times!
This is an over-the-top response...a visit for a glass of wine is FRAUD!!!... such a response annoys regular folks who manage through life not bothering anybody by simply living within the intent of the rules, which in this case are no overnights, no meals, no use of complimentary items and not creating an unreasonable disturbance.

This is an over-the-top response...a visit for a glass of wine is FRAUD!!!... such a response annoys regular folks who manage through life not bothering anybody by simply living within the intent of the rules, which in this case are no overnights, no meals, no use of complimentary items and not creating an unreasonable disturbance.
It should be noted that it is my understanding that "haolerider" is a former Amtrak employee who knows the rules probably better than any of us and that he posts for the purpose of providing information not controversy. I do not have first hand knowledge of this fact, but I have read and heard this information many times.

It should be noted that it is my understanding that "haolerider" is a former Amtrak employee who knows the rules probably better than any of us and that he posts for the purpose of providing information not controversy. I do not have first hand knowledge of this fact, but I have read and heard this information many times.
He is, and he does. I'd still love to see it in writing somewhere.

Since we're straying into the realm of the hypothetical, consider the following. I book a roomette solo. Later on, I discover that a friend is riding the same train as I am in coach, on a ticket booked at one of the middle buckets. We want to ride together.

We can either:

A) Do the right thing, add him to the sleeper reservation. He'll get a refund since his railfare gets kicked back to low bucket.

Or B) We can "commit fraud" and have Amtrak actually keep the difference in fare.

Doesn't seem so cut and dried all of a sudden...

There is exactly one person on the train who knows what passengers belong in your sleeper, and that is your sleeping car attendant. (Theoretically the conductor has the same information, but he/she cares mainly that you have a ticket, not where you happen to be on the train.) Most likely if you walk back to the sleeper with your guests the SCA won't ask any questions, but it wouldn't hurt to explain the situation to him/her first. (Party of seven, two bedrooms, two people in coach, would like to meet up in the bedrooms during the day.) Since you just collectively paid Amtrak a bunch of money and the SCA is hoping for a good tip, I would expect no problem 95% of the time. The other 5% you might get a bitter, rules-are-rules kind of SCA.

Mark

Hmm, this has me thinking (anyone see the smoke? :giggle: ).

If I have a room(ette) in car xxx1 and a family member or friend has a room(ette) in car xxx2, would I be allowed to invite said family member/friend to my room(ette) since s/he is ticketed for the other car?

I KNOW, totally different circumstances. Just throwing it out there.

As to having a person from coach visit my room(ette), I would ask the SCA if it's ok and then keep the visit very short. Hey, I might be able to "sell" the idea of sleeper accomodations to my visitor (or not) once they see the accomodations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back