Anyone Ever Hopped on Amtrak, Just To Get To A Restaurant?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdude

Engineer
I've eaten at this establishment just once, but it was so beyond-delicious I've just made a reservation for my wife and me for dinner on a Saturday in October.

We'll take 156 from BWI northbound, arrive at MET around 5:00pm, cab over to the restaurant, and take 167 at 9:40pm home to BWI.

I looked at riding Acela and/or burning points, but just couldn't justify it.........

And thanks to AmSnag, was able to find pretty cheap (I know that the_traveler could do better) RT, only $90 for each of us.

Anyone else ever had the "jones so bad" for a restaurant, you just had to get on a train and "Go"?

I haven't specifically, but there is a restaurant 2 blocks from BBY that I go to on point runs! But I know jimhudson goes to a BBQ joint in TX on his "forced" point runs - only a stop or two north of AUS!

I have considered taking amtrak to NHV to go to Pepe's on more than one occasion. I have never done it, but its not outside the realm of possibility for me.

I do periodic "Lunch Points Runs" on the Heartland Flyer to FTW, taking the TRE (Trinity Rail Express) over to Dallas to have lunch at Cindi's Deli which is just across from Union Station. If I'm lucky I get a bonus Rail Diesel Car on the TRE. Or if I'm "thirsty" I'll stay in FTW and hole up at The Flying Saucer for a few beers before the return HF :p

There is a crepe restaurant in Galseburg, Il that makes a points run an enjoyable event. It is a block from the station. There is also a steak house, though it was only ok the day I went.

After I found this forum about 8 years ago and started learning about Amtrak, my wife and I were to make our first Amtrak trip. I had scheduled CHI - PDX as we would spend a few days in that great city before returning home. I then remember a great meal I had at Ivers in Seattle some years earlier so I called Amtrak to change our ticket from CHI - PDX to CHI - SEA - PDX with a four hour layover in SEA so we could have lunch at Ivers. We did and it was great!

After I found this forum about 8 years ago and started learning about Amtrak, my wife and I were to make our first Amtrak trip. I had scheduled CHI - PDX as we would spend a few days in that great city before returning home. I then remember a great meal I had at Ivers in Seattle some years earlier so I called Amtrak to change our ticket from CHI - PDX to CHI - SEA - PDX with a four hour layover in SEA so we could have lunch at Ivers. We did and it was great!
I think I remember somebody riding the Downeaster about this time last year just to get a lobster. :rolleyes:

Berkley, CA has a great place at the platform (which I think was the original station). Heard about it when I was in Fremont ... so I went.

I'm not jim hudson but I play him on this forum! The trip from AUS-TAY-AUS as the_traveler said is a points run for me ($5.95 Senior). In addition to three Bar-B-Q joints there ,also they have a great Tex-Mex joint and a Bar called Ed's Place that has the coldest beer and greasiest Cheesburgers in the world, they're great!

Last year while on in last of the one zone loophole trips from KWD-KCY-LAX-PDX-CBS i got off in Kansas City just to go to the original Arthur Bryants Bar-B-Q, it was worth it, also had breakfast in Phillipes in LAX (we were early into LAX on the SWC, had time before the CS!)and in CHI tried out several of the resturants recommended byt members so I call that my 15,000 point food run! Food always tastes better when a train is involved!

I haven't specifically, but there is a restaurant 2 blocks from BBY that I go to on point runs! But I know jimhudson goes to a BBQ joint in TX on his "forced" point runs - only a stop or two north of AUS!
Jimbo, chime in here. What BBQ place do you go to?

I know I'd make a run to Austin, rent a car, and drive to any of these places:

Kreuz's Market

Salt Lick

Smitty's BBQ

I'm not jim hudson but I play him on this forum! The trip from AUS-TAY-AUS as the_traveler said is a points run for me ($5.95 Senior). In addition to three Bar-B-Q joints there ,also they have a great Tex-Mex joint and a Bar called Ed's Place that has the coldest beer and greasiest Cheesburgers in the world, they're great!

Last year while on in last of the one zone loophole trips from KWD-KCY-LAX-PDX-CBS i got off in Kansas City just to go to the original Arthur Bryants Bar-B-Q, it was worth it, also had breakfast in Phillipes in LAX (we were early into LAX on the SWC, had time before the CS!)and in CHI tried out several of the resturants recommended byt members so I call that my 15,000 point food run! Food always tastes better when a train is involved!
Maybe that's why Amtrak thinks their ill-fated "Modified Meal Service" debacles will work........every few years........

'Ya know, how the "hot dog at the ball park always taste great"....

But when YOU cook it up at home, it's just not the same?

I think I remember somebody riding the Downeaster about this time last year just to get a lobster.
rolleyes.gif
You're right - I had forgotten about that.

MrsFSS about to enjoy one in Portland!

Lobster.jpg

You know, I suddenly have a craving for French Dip...

Be back in a week! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not for a specific restaurant, but I'll sometimes "Go for lunch" in CHI from MKE, in on 334 and out on 335. The fast food places in Chicago Union Station are perfect for the half hour wait before 335 departs.

It's more of an excuse to take the train than it is for food. But like someone said before, the cost factor comes into play - it ends up being about a $50 lunch for me (a little more if I don't get street parking at MKE Intermodal station). I don't do it but every couple of months. Come to think of it... I'm due for another.

There is a crepe restaurant in Galseburg, Il that makes a points run an enjoyable event. It is a block from the station.
Landmark Cafe, or something like that.

Ate there last month on a CHI-GBB-CHI turn. Good sandwiches. Better dessert.

Jimbo, chime in here. What BBQ place do you go to?

Kreuz's Market

Salt Lick

Smitty's BBQ
Asking a Texan to give away his Best Bar-B-Q joints is like asking someone from New York City to tell us where the "Real" Delis are, not those tourists joints in Disneyland @ Times Square! :lol: But in the name of brotherhood, strictly for AU members, dont tell civilians, there are now only two Bar-B-Q joints left in Taylor, Miskiskas closed when the old man passed away!1) Louie Muellers is a couple of blocks froim the Station on "Business Hiway 79,

(been on Diners /Drive Ins and Dives)excellent everything ,their Chicken is the best Ive had/Brisket also fantastic!They are not big on sides in real joints, those are for tourists! :lol: BUT THE MEATS THE THING! :wub:

2)Taylor Cafe-the Barn Red building next to the old MP Station ,now UP, (and Amtrack's picnic table with a cover "station")that one of the conductors on the Texas Eagle always points out when the train pulls in! OBS and crew have been known to place to go orders (wonder what they are doing on their cell phones so much? :lol: ), specialization in plates with Brisket, but it's all good! The old man has been sitting there @ the counter /bar since he opened in the 40s, doesnt cook or work but he tells great stories and most old timer "locals" eat here(also drink beer! :lol: ) Both of them beat the places mentioned in theprevious post IMO, and theres nothing wrong with them ,any Bar-B-Q from Texas is better than the other pretenders from other cities and areas!Certified!, It Ain't bragging if it's true! ;)

i've hopped on amtrak to have dinner in downtown lee's summit (LEE). it was just $8 each way from KCY at the time, now $8.50. the current schedule allows for a little over four hours of play time.

Salt Lick
I love the Salt Lick in Driftwood. You will definitely need a car to get there, but it is definitely worth it. I have never been to the one in Round Rock, but the one at the Airport is past security, so you need to fly out of Austin to even be able to eat there.

--

Bud

My ostensible reason for going to Chicago on Amtrak is to eat at Giordano's. Between you, me, and the rest of the web, the real reason is to take Amtrak. But Giordano's is a solid second.

:blink:personally I have not. But my brother often takes Amtrak from Trenton to New York to eat or see a show or both.

I suppose I might do it as well, but the Pocono Mtns of PA are better served by bus and not train.....but maybe someday :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back