Any semi decent cheap hotels near DC station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonesfan

Service Attendant
Hi chaps

Am gonna be doing some AEM7 scooping during the Easter weekend this year and taking a trip from NY to DC. Are there any half decent cheap hotels near the station?? A few pointers, I'm a typical bloke in that as long as theres a bed, the place is clean and theres running water I'm happy :)

I take it the Amtrak shop is open all year round too? Planning on getting there for the Monday 25 April

Cheers

:hi: Welcome! Google up the Phoenix Park Hotel, it's right next to the Union Station in WAS, very nice and I just got a weekend Rate of $89 (plus tax of course! :lol: )whiuch isnt bad for WAS, it is Higher during the week which is Very Busy on capitol Hill and Union Station. Otherwise youll need to stay in the Hotels by BWI Airport (Amtrak stops @ the Station, most of the Hotels have Shuttles, Embassy Suites is a Good one there!)or go across the Potomic to Arlington or Alexandria,VA. Unfortunaterly WAS is an expensive place, have you checked the Hostel International Website?? The Good news is that most of the museums and ALL of the Govt. Buildings are FREE in Washington! The Mall is a great place to Walk up and Down, so much to See and Do! :) :) :)

Thanks for this. Never been to DC, so will 'complete' the NEC route, although I presume you have to do the section to Newport News to really qualify??

A couple of years ago the crews were staying at the Red Roof Inn and they gave me the Amtrak rate of $45 which I'm sure is higher now. They might have even changed lodging facilities. The station was about 1/2 mile away; a good walk or bus ride if you have a lot of luggage. Ask the crew you ride with just where they're staying and you might just get a decent room at a decent price.

The econolodge in Alexandria or Silver Springs, 45/night is the online rate. Both require you to take the Metro, but are really nearby Metro stops.

Thanks for this. Never been to DC, so will 'complete' the NEC route, although I presume you have to do the section to Newport News to really qualify??
I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, as usual, but IIRC the NEC is defined as Amtrak owned trackage between Boston & Washington. If you see no reponses I'm right; if the board lights up like the 4th of July I'm dead wrong AGAIN !!! :eek:hboy:

sometimes the hyatt has really good rates, and they have a metro station right under the hotel. last summer i got a rate of 99/night in a plush, comfy bed, just up the street from the smithsonian. :)

The Harrington Hotel has been mentioned here several times. It's about two or three stops on the Metro from WUS and then about a block walk. It has a decent restaurant with it as well.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, as usual, but IIRC the NEC is defined as Amtrak owned trackage between Boston & Washington. If you see no reponses I'm right; if the board lights up like the 4th of July I'm dead wrong AGAIN !!! :eek:hboy:
I agree. The corridor stops at Washington, at least for now. Someday, it may extend all the way to Richmond, but it would have to be electrified and offer at least hourly service. Newport News (and Norfolk in the near future) is a branch.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Does the demand for rail travel increase greatly over the Easter weekend?

Sometimes the Hyatt Regency DC (a couple blocks away, easy to walk) has good weekend rates (I think the Cherry Blossoms will be done by easter..) Also, the Liaison hotel might be OK (it is opposite the Hyatt.)

The Grand Hyatt sometimes has 89 or 99 rates (that's the one that has a Metro stop below)and it is nice.

Sometimes the various Marriott brands in Crystal City (national airport) have good weekend rates too (Crystal Gateway and Crystal City Marriotts and the Courtyard Crystal City)

for Metro (subway ) info www.wmata.com (hope i am allowed to post the link...)

I just checks, the Hyatt capitol hill is 118 per night (plus tax, about 12-15%)

The Hyatt Crystal City (pretty easy to get to on Metro...you can also get off at the airport and take the hotel shuttle...) is about 75 bucks (not bad at all)

The Liaison is $123 plus tax

And there are some Marriott branded hotels in Crystal City/Arlington/National Airport that are 99-119

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd second the thought on the Phoenix Park Hotel. Stayed there just earlier this year. Room on top floor had very nice view of Union Station and the Post office building. Check rates on Expedia and other sites, weekends do tend to be cheaper. Good breakfast - but you pay extra for it - in the mornings. Nice part is it's a very easy walk over to the hotel from the station, no need for a cab or car. Can walk to Capitol Hill from here, about 10 minutes, for exercise. The rooms are a bit small and elevators are old, but the property is clean, and has comfy beds.

Is 'Easter Monday' a day of any significance over there? Ie do passenger numbers increase big time, or do they have a habit of tearing the track up? Its actually a bank holiday here and Easter travel is usually to be avoided unless you fancy being thrown on a bus for part of the journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back