Another voucher use question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimePeace

Disillusioned.
Yet another question often asked but never remembered:

I have a voucher. Can I pay for a ticket, at a ticket counter, for me and someone else riding together, or only for myself?

I don't know what the rules say, but my wife was able to buy a ticket for her mother with a voucher she received.

Edit:

From Amtrak's website:

Who May Use the Funds in an eVoucher
The funds in the eVoucher will be held in the customer’s name and can be applied toward future travel. An eVoucher can only be redeemed by the person whose name appears on it; however, that person can choose to apply it to someone else’s travel.
http://www.amtrak.com/evouchers-your-travel-credits-stored-electronically

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done that.

I had a $15 ticket that I didn't use. I went to a ticket window, got my $15 eVoucher, then had the ticket agent apply it right then for a $11 ticket for myself and a $5.50 ticket for my kid. I paid the remainder in cash.

I'm pretty sure that you could use an eVoucher to buy a ticket for anyone.

I would note that the agent had an eTicket emailed to me, and that the eTicket specifically noted that it couldn't be refunded, but could be exchanged again.

I have purchased tickets for someone else using multiple E-Vouchers. I called and set it up in advance. They held the reservation for a week. I went with to the station with my friend and gave the agent the voucher numbers. She entered them and issued the ticket. In that scenario if you aren't traveling the person who the ticket is for needs to be there to show ID and you need to show ID to authorize the use of your vouchers.

If you are on the reservation you should just be able to do the whole transaction yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back