Another First Time Train Traveler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings and salutations! My name is Dale, and I stumbled upon this forum today while my wife and I were doing some research in preparation for our first two Amtrak trips. I have pretty much spent the entire afternoon on this site but I have already learned so much! I am originally from Michigan. A couple of years ago I retired from the military and we I decided to make O'Fallon, Illinois, our home. We are just over the river and through the woods from St. Louis, so catching Amtrak is pretty easy as we can take the Metro Link right to Gateway Station.

Neither my wife nor I really enjoy airline travel, less and less each time we fly. We had been talking about taking a train trip for a couple of years now, and we finally decided to "Just Do It" a couple of weeks ago and I booked some reservations. First up, we will ride the Lincoln Service from St. Louis to Chicago in December to visit family, hit some museums, and shop 'till we drop on the Magnificent Mile. This will be a "practice run" of sorts, because in April we are booked to Washington, D.C. on the Texas Eagle/Capitol Limited. I have never been to our Nation's capitol and I think taking Amtrak rather than flying will make our journey that much more enjoyable. We decided to pull out all the stops and book Superliner bedrooms in both directions. We will be in sleeper #3001, Room E, going out and sleeper #2900, Room E, coming home. I have read a lot of opinions today both for and against individual bedrooms/locations, and I think we will be fine. The fare came out to be more than flying (not much more), but the journey is the most important thing and we are both excited to ride Amtrak.

Cheers!

Dale

I think you will really enjoy it!! In my travels I find the vast majority of first timers love the train.....if they have a good understanding of what it is. If you read a lot here....you have a good start.

Sounds like you're on the right path - I just gave you some words in your luggage thread.

If you have any more questions, let us know! Helping new folks out is hands down the best part of the site.

:hi: Welcome to AU! The Cap Ltd. to Washington (E is an Excellent Bedroom!) is a Very Good Introduction to LD Amtrak Travel! Really Good Running Times, Superliner Equipment Three Meals in the Diner (Dinner Leaving Chicago and Breakfast and Brunch on the way to Washington after Pittsburgh) ,Generally Good Crews and Nice Scenery East of Pittsburgh, through the Mountains and Down the Potomac to Washington as the Sun Rises!

And ya'll will have use of the Metro Lounge in Chicago Union Station and Club Acela is Waashington's Union Station while waiting on your Trains! You might want to conside using a Red Cap to/from the Trains, Both Stations are Large and Busy and it's a Very Good $5 Investment in Most Peoples Opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. E is my favorite Superliner room. I hope you and your wife have great trips.

There are a lot of former Michiganders on this forum. I'm one of the few who still live here. :)

Welcome!

Welcome to AU, DaleR

I have traveled from the St Louis area stations often over the past few years. Some hints from my experience:

--Use the Alton station for Lincoln Service. Very convenient, safe parking, no registration, no limit on days parked...and it's free! Living in O'Fallon, you save hours on both ends of your trips...the train from STL to Alton is a slow ride thru a lot of East Saint Louis train yards. I have found by the time I metrolink to STL and get to Alton it consumes two hours. On the return trip you are back to your house from Alton before the train arrives at STL, not counting the metrolink ride back to Illinois.

-- I prefer to use the metrolink station at Shilo/Scott when I book out of STL. It is at the end of the line and has very little itinerant activity. Also, it has long term parking that is well lit and very safe.

--Besides Lincoln service, another fun out and back is the Missouri River Runner. It goes out every morning from STL to Kansas City and it is a beautiful ride along the Missouri river. (Hint:eek:utbound sit on the right hand side (north) of the car for the best views) You get to KCY and have about 1.5 hr to enjoy the surrounding area (especially Jack Stacks bbq joint for a burnt rib tips sandwich). If you decide to RON, the Q Hotel provides free shuttle service to and from the train station and sets in the middle of a very good restaurant and small shop area. For a shorter day, you can also hop off of the train at Washington or Hermann...both picturesque little river towns with plenty to explore.

--Taking the River Runner out of Kirkwood is also a lot of fun. Same price as leaving STL. Kirkwood is a great suburb with lots to explore. Kirkwood is officially an unmanned station so come with tickets in hand. But, the station is manned with wonderful volunteers with lots of information and good attitudes. The volunteers handle the parking permits to park free just across the tracks from the station.

--When you take your D.C. trip, if you leave from STL (again, there is no advantage to do that) let the ticket agent see your ticket when you arrive at the station. STL has a separate lounge for sleeping car pax and you should be allowed to use it because your connecting trip from CHI is in a sleeper.

Back