Another airliners.net discussion on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see another a.net member here! I love both planes and trains, but trains are more seducing.

You'll often see pro-rail posts on a.net, but there are those who still insist flying is the only way to go nowadays.

but there are those who still insist flying is the only way to go nowadays.
Even if they're in Manhattan and would like to end up in Philadelphia? (Last I checked, it seemed like there simply were not any direct flights between the NYC airports and Philadelphia.)
I've flown JFK to PHL numerous times. It's about 20 minutes. The taxi takes longer than the flight. I'm in airliner.net sometimes, so I will offer my expertise on Amtrak :)

Edit: Thats actually the most intelligent Amtrak thread in A.net I've ever read. There's actually informative people in there and no attack's on anyone. Some I still disagree with, but at least no one say that it costs $1000 per passenger and the government should just buy first class plane tickets for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if they're in Manhattan and would like to end up in Philadelphia? (Last I checked, it seemed like there simply were not any direct flights between the NYC airports and Philadelphia.)
There are about 20 weekday non-stops each way between PHL and NYC (LGA, JFK & EWR). DL, CO, and US (also sold by UA via code-share) fly the route. It's longer than a lot of flights: US PHL-BWI/DCA (I've taken both of these), UA MKE-ORD, etc. I imagine most traffic is connecting.

BTW: You mean non-stop. "Direct" has no meaning besides no change in flight number and reduced frequent flier miles. CO flight 5 was (is?) direct from LGW (now LHR) to MSY. There was a small matter of "change of gauge" (different aircraft) in IAH. You got miles for LGW-MSY, not LGW-IAH and IAH-MSY.

According the the latest DOT figures, there are an average of 12 origin and destination passengers a day between PHL and all the NYC airports (that is total for both ways). All the rest are connecting through NYC or PHL to other destinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back