Ann and the Mules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
With the new timetable, Amtrak has renumbered some trains on the Illinois and Missouri services.

The MULES (which operate solely between St. Louis and Kansas City), formerly trains 301 and 306, are now 311 and 316 respectively. That is understandable, since it frees up the former number pair for use on the Chicago-St. Louis corridor when frequencies are added as a result of the project to create the Midwest's first high speed corridor.

But now I see that they have toyed with the ANN RUTLEDGE as well, making things quite confusing for the novice traveler. ANN runs from Chicago to St. Louis, and then St. Louis to Kansas City. It is one train, with no transfer required in St. Louis. On the brand new timetable, it is shown as two separate trains, with a footnote at the bottom stating that this is actually a through service. Huh? :huh:

Formerly, the ANN RUTLEDGE was assigned the numbers 303 and 304 for their entire runs. Now, each segment of the train was assigned two numbers. Chicago-St. Louis is still 303. St. Louis-Chicago is still 304. St. Louis-Kansas City is now 313, and Kansas City-Chicago is now 314. :unsure: However, both 303 and 313 are also called 323, presumably for those passengers riding through from a point north of STL to a point west of STL. And both 304 and 314 are also called 324, presumably for those passengers riding through from a point west of STL to a point north of STL. :unsure:

What gives? Can't the train have just one designation in each direction, regardless of the origins and destinations of the passengers? Mercifully, but still confusing, the Amtrak website lists the entire train as 323 and 324 whether a passenger's trip passes through St. Louis or not.

Any ideas?

Amtrak separated the numbers in order to track the IL-funded portion separate from the MO-funded portion (on-time wise, I presume). When the timetables were printed, no decision had been made regarding how that would work for reservations. However, the decision has been made (hence 323/324). I'd assume that future timetables will show them with one number.

The .pdf and card timetables, however, list the numbers separately (as in the timetable booklet).

The .pdf timetable can be downloaded by manipulating the file name in the link (I'm too lazy to go searching for it now, but if you put your mouse over the link, you'll know what I'm talking about).

Amtrak separated the numbers in order to track the IL-funded portion separate from the MO-funded portion (on-time wise, I presume).
Robert,

Can I assume that would have meant that passengers traveling through St. Louis would have been issued two separate tickets, one from origin to STL and one from STL to destination?

Nobody knows what it "would have meant," as ultimately, Amtrak settled on different numbers for performance reporting, but a single number for reservations and ticketing. Therefore, passengers will receive a single ticket.

I suppose they could have done it similar to the way tickets are handled on the Maple Leaf (and I guess the International, back when it ran). Separate ticket coupons even though the passenger never leaves his/her seat. But they (wisely) figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

That said, I don't know why they could keep revenue separate (i.e. IL riders vs. MO riders vs. those riding through STL), but they can't keep OTP and other "performance" measures separate. My understanding, though, is that it's all just an internal thing, and passengers will only have to worry about one set of numbers. They just didn't decide on the exact course of action until after the timetables had gone to press.

Back