An Epic Rail Journey: 9357 miles aboard Amtrak.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are on the SWC 1/8/2018, I just watched you go through La Plata, MO right on time. Looks like the weather has warmed up just enough to overcome last week's Winter Problems. Should be a pleasant on time trip to Los Angeles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your LSL nightmare Adrouault! I had a similar one myself: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/72059-lsl-48-28/

So you only left NYP 2 hours late but got into CHI too late to miss the connection to the SWC/3? So you lost a lot of time enroute between NYP and CHI or did I read that incorrectly?

You read it correctly. Lost 4 hours at ALB
More problems through upstate New York in winter? I'm sure most of you LSL veterans can't be surprised and I (and Adroualt) learned the hard way. BUF, SYR and other cities along the route are notorious for bad weather and snow. Certainly this strengthens the argument for more and alternate routes so we're not dependent on/ stuck with the LSL when things go bad.

Sorry about your LSL nightmare Adrouault! I had a similar one myself: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/72059-lsl-48-28/

So you only left NYP 2 hours late but got into CHI too late to miss the connection to the SWC/3? So you lost a lot of time enroute between NYP and CHI or did I read that incorrectly?
You read it correctly. Lost 4 hours at ALB
More problems through upstate New York in winter? I'm sure most of you LSL veterans can't be surprised and I (and Adroualt) learned the hard way. BUF, SYR and other cities along the route are notorious for bad weather and snow. Certainly this strengthens the argument for more and alternate routes so we're not dependent on/ stuck with the LSL when things go bad.
You can take the CL or the Card.
default_wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The rest of the SWC voyage was pretty great. One day late, but great. SCA was decent. Not exceptional, but more than adequate. Food was great.
Had the Land and Sea first night, was sad to see the downgrade on the SWC from shrimp to the fish cake. Steak was great, of course.

Second night, had the signature steak.

We had a full hour in Albuquerque, so I walked around for a bit. Had some fascinating conversations, and arrived on time to Los Angeles.

Food was great.

Had the Land and Sea first night, was sad to see the downgrade on the SWC from shrimp to the fish cake. Steak was great, of course.

Second night, had the signature steak.

The same National Menu is on all the LD trains that use that menu which is every train except the CONO and Cardinal that I know of. So the Land and Sea item was downgraded on all LD National Menu trains to fish cake from the shrimp. The National Menu from last year with the shrimp and pork sliders was much better than current menu. Hopefully the new menu when introduced in 2018 will be better.

I paid for the hotel out of pocket, or rather, using points, since I didn't want to risk being put in a poor quality motel out by O'Hare.

No compensation from Amtrak since I dealt with it on my own.

Currently on the CZ from EMY to CHI. will be at CHI in the next 2 hours.

Will provide a full report for the return trip in the next couple days once I arrive.

Back in Rochester this afternoon, 4 hours late into ROC.

the CS was great. left LA at 10:10 and got into San Jose that evening. Had the burger for lunch, and the land+sea for dinner.

Took a rest during the afternoon, had the bed made down at SLO.

At SLO, I stepped off the train where my aunt was waiting for me, and the SCA recognized her, because she's a frequent CS traveler.

On the CZ, it was simply stunning, saw some amazing scenery. Hardly any snow in the sierras, and not that much in the Rockies where we were. There was great narration from the California rail museum between Sac and Reno, about the history of railway construction and implementation in the area.

Similar narration as we went through the mountains and canyons of Colorado. Steak on the first night of the CZ was badly overcooked. Instead of the mashed potatoes I had ordered, they brought a baked potato, and then switched it out. They did this on both dinners. haha.

Got to Chicago on time, hung out at the Metro Lounge, before boarding the LSL 2 hours late. Went to bed soon after departure. Woke up outside CLE, 3 hours late. Had an extra meal on the train, the salad, which was pretty good, I thought.

So, that sums up the trip.

Will provide some more narrative about the trip as I get over the fatigue. Still far less tiring than flying!

And, one week later, I got back on the train. Doing a weekend in Chicago with my girlfriend.

Completely last minute. Decided at 6pm, checked the tracker, saw that the train was on time at ALB, nad made a last minute booking for a roomette. I had a 100 dollar voucher, which was given to me by Amtrak after the terrible SCA on the AT.

Train pulled into ROC right on time, and we boarded quickly. SCA came by to introduce himself, and then promptly made the beds. We got a solid 9 hours of sleep, and woke up for breakfast in Indiana. One of the crew in the dining car recognized me from my last trip. This also happened on the LSL eastbound to ROC last Wednesday night.

Funny how that happens.

Breakfast was the Railway French Toast, which is THANKFULLY still served on LSL. It wasn't an option on the Zephyr or the SWC.

It was great, and the crew have been quite good on this trip.

Arrived in Chicago roughly an hour late on Friday. Stayed in an Airbnb and hung out with friends, and had some amazing meals, including tonight, my last night, at Le Cochon Volant, The flying pig. The Foie Gras was exceptional, and then I had a nice chat with a cabbie from Mumbai. Now at the Metropolitan lounge, waiting for the train back to ROC.

Uneventful train ride back to Rochester, except for a strange SCA. Just peculiar, and a bit unfriendly. We arrived into ROC 30 mins late, which is basically on-time in my book.

While on the LSL last night, I got an email that informed me I had reached Amtrak Select status.

The trip is over.

The total mileage traveled was 10131 Miles. 16304 km. What an amazing adventure.

Just to re-cap, the trip was NYP-MIA, Sanford to Lorton. STM-NYP-CHI-LAX-EMY-CHI-ROC-CHI-ROC

I had many meals aboard amtrak.
24 in total,

8 Dinners

9 Breakfast

7 Lunches.

Uneventful train ride back to Rochester, except for a strange SCA. Just peculiar, and a bit unfriendly. We arrived into ROC 30 mins late, which is basically on-time in my book.

While on the LSL last night, I got an email that informed me I had reached Amtrak Select status.

The trip is over.

The total mileage traveled was 10131 Miles. 16304 km. What an amazing adventure.

Just to re-cap, the trip was NYP-MIA, Sanford to Lorton. STM-NYP-CHI-LAX-EMY-CHI-ROC-CHI-ROC

I had many meals aboard amtrak.

24 in total,

8 Dinners

9 Breakfast

7 Lunches.
Wish I had realized it -- we were on the same train as far as BUF. Were you on 48 or 448? I was on 448, with Jana. I thought she was fine, just a little reserved.

My longest one-way travel on Amtrak was a trip I took back in 1981 from MSP-SEA-LA, totaling 3,176 miles.

I had airline privileges then, so I flew from DFW to MSP, and from LAX back to DFW. But... If I had gone on Amtrak from Dallas to Chicago to Seattle to LA to Dallas, then that trip would have added another 3,146 Amtrak miles totaling 6,322 for that entire route.

But I didn't have the time off from work, or the pocket change to take Amtrak all of that way!!

Back