Amtrak's Weekly Special

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgreenesq

Lead Service Attendant
I've been checking the Amtrak Weekly Deals for the last few weeks. Most if not all of the trains seem to originate from Chicago. I know that Chicago is the center of the Amtrak universe. Do trains in the Northeast/Atlantic Coast Service ever appear on this list?

Rick

Well you'll never find a regional train on that list, but yes I've seen weekly specials for the Silver Service trains, on the Lake Shore Limited and even the Capitol Limited. At this time of the year though, those trains usually sell pretty well on their own, so they don't show up.

But come October you might see them, as well as Feb - May, excluding holiday periods.

The Capitol Limited, #29/30, and the Pennsylvanian, #42/43/44 have popped up from time to time on this list, but have not made an appearance recently.

Since the micromanaging legislation appeared in Amtrak's current funding bill in FY '06, "Hot Deals" on the LD trains make rare appearances. The consistent exceptions seem to be the Empire Builder in the off-season, and the Crescent.

They did advertise the Regionals a couple of years back for the one or two Reserved Regionals (at the time) but that was very short lived and hasn't happened in quite a while.

The Capitol Limited, #29/30, and the Pennsylvanian, #42/43/44 have popped up from time to time on this list, but have not made an appearance recently.
Since the micromanaging legislation appeared in Amtrak's current funding bill in FY '06, "Hot Deals" on the LD trains make rare appearances. The consistent exceptions seem to be the Empire Builder in the off-season, and the Crescent.
don't forget that the City of New Orleans(at least service south of Memphis, and less frequently, the whole route) often reappears on there(ditto w/Atlanta-New Orleans area Cresent trains, and less frequently up to DC). the Sunset Limited was briefly on there a few weeks back, and the Empire Builder(the whole route, too!) was up until a few days ago on 'Hot Deals', so it still does happen(though nowadays, sadly not as often as i recall how often it used to appear).

oh, and y'all might wanna look on Hot Deals currently, both the SW Chief and Cali. Zephyr are on there now!! on another note, i never seem to ever see ANY Silver Service trains on there, not even the Palmetto(sames goes for East Coast or West Coast-only trains(i.e. Cascades) on there).

Lots of variety there today, including western and Florida trains.

Lots of variety there today, including western and Florida trains.
i stand corrected, i'm very glad that they finally put some trains OTHER than Midwestern trains and LD trains to/from Chicago on there for once(save for the Crescent, which seems to reappear most of the non-Chicago LD trains). but still, i haven't seen Amtrak ever put NE regional trains on there, at least since i became a huge fan of Amtrak last year(though i wouldn't be surprised if they used to at times).

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that the SWC is on sale Chicago to LA for $78. Suppose I wanted to book one of these to go and see my folks. I'm in Worcester, MA and would need to get a ticket on the LSL to get to Chicago. Is it possible to build an itinerary using these fares or do I need to purchase two seperate tickets?

If I do purchase seperate tickets, will I have a "guaranteed connection" or would I be spending a night in Chicago at my own expense?

Rick

I noticed that the SWC is on sale Chicago to LA for $78. Suppose I wanted to book one of these to go and see my folks. I'm in Worcester, MA and would need to get a ticket on the LSL to get to Chicago. Is it possible to build an itinerary using these fares or do I need to purchase two seperate tickets?
If I do purchase seperate tickets, will I have a "guaranteed connection" or would I be spending a night in Chicago at my own expense?

Rick
You would always be getting "separate" tickets, as Amtrak issues 1 ticket per person for each train you ride.

Now that said, you would need to make to separate itineraries in order to do take advantage of the rail sale. That however would not invalidate your connection in Chicago. If you are on the Lake Shore and holding a ticket for the SW Chief, you still have a guaranteed connection. The fact that you booked two separate reservations does not matter.

You would always be getting "separate" tickets, as Amtrak issues 1 ticket per person for each train you ride.
Now that said, you would need to make to separate itineraries in order to do take advantage of the rail sale. That however would not invalidate your connection in Chicago. If you are on the Lake Shore and holding a ticket for the SW Chief, you still have a guaranteed connection. The fact that you booked two separate reservations does not matter.
I noticed that about the seperate tickets. I have a small pile for the three of us to cross the country in November.

Do you mean to tell me that the mere fact that I am holding an onward ticket out of a hub, Amtrak will guarantee my connection? I know of no airline that will do that. If I bought two seperate tickets on two different reservation numbers for any airline in America and miscconnected, the airline would tell me I am SOL. I've been flying too long.

Rick

Do you mean to tell me that the mere fact that I am holding an onward ticket out of a hub, Amtrak will guarantee my connection? I know of no airline that will do that. If I bought two seperate tickets on two different reservation numbers for any airline in America and miscconnected, the airline would tell me I am SOL. I've been flying too long.
I'll be honest I've never had to try doing that, in fact I thankfully have never had a missed connection. Although I did have some anxious moments this past June on a Cascades train.

But that said, to my knowledge one only needs to be holding the tickets, one does not have to have both tickets booked on the same reservation. As long as the connection is a normal connection for Amtrak, and in this case it would be, you are covered.

oh, and y'all might wanna look on Hot Deals currently, both the SW Chief and Cali. Zephyr are on there now!! on another note, i never seem to ever see ANY Silver Service trains on there, not even the Palmetto(sames goes for East Coast or West Coast-only trains(i.e. Cascades) on there).
Of course, Amtrak puts some different trains on the "Hot Deals" page after I point out most of the deals involve the state supported runs... <_<

It makes sense that they don't discount the LD routes in the summer when they are most popular and now discount them in the slower pre-holiday fall period.

I wouldn't expect them on sale during times when they can fill up at regular fares.

Supply and demand . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back