AMTRAK's Record Year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMDF9A

Lead Service Attendant
In an AP article dated for 10/14:

The subject matter may have been discussed in earlier posts but I didnt see it, so I thought I;d pass it on

WASHINGTON (AP) - Railroad officials say Amtrak carried a record number of passengers in the year ending Sept. 30 despite Northeast service that was temporarily knocked out by Superstorm Sandy.

The nation's passenger railroad network carried 31.6 million riders during the 2013 federal budget year. Amtrak's long-distance routes recorded their best ridership in 20 years with 4.8 million passengers.

Ridership for all of Amtrak's Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington reached 11.4 million passengers, the second-best year for the corridor. That was despite service interruptions when Superstorm Sandy slammed into New York, New Jersey and Connecticut last October, flooding tunnels and tracks.

Ticket revenues also increased to a record $2.1 billion. Amtrak relies on federal subsidies for a small share of its operating expenses.

Article taken from Seattle TV station KOMO web site

http://www.komonews.com/news/business/Amtrak-carries-record-number-of-passengers-227669361.html

We have been discussing the Amtrak FY2013 ridership news in the Big Announcement Tomorrow thread. Amtrak issued a news release touting the 31.6 million with a lot of info for ridership and total revenue data for each service and for the top 5 stations in each state. I'm thinking we should have a new thread on the FY13 numbers, but I won't have time to summarize the results until later. Anderson may post something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back