Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SO if the future is Lounge car status for Sleeper Passengers so they can relax with a drink or a glass of wine, maybe conversing with other status passengers. More and more people prefer privacy to meeting people from around the world, so having the Room Service regular Option makes sense. But the food itself does not equate to the inferred level by having a Sleeper Lounge Car. Sadly, the dinner and breakfast being served since the 1st are a major discouragement to continuing to travel on the CL and LSL.

It sounds like Amtrak is onto a good idea here, having an exclusive sleeper lounge is a nice perk, especially if Amtrak gets the wifi going consistently. The unlimited soft drinks are an upgrade, and having food in your room is something that international trains are going towards (OBB who provides a majority of sleeper service in Europe just rolled that option out for passengers as well). Amtrak just needs to work on the food offerings, which is something Anderson told the RPA they are working on, just a matter of working on their catering contracts. I think this concept might work.
Why do I have this sudden curiosity to see your tax returns, and specifically your W-2 form, and specifically the identity of your employer? What could possibly have caused such an irrational urge?

Ainamkartma
I am not involved in the railroad/train industry in any way. I have just simply taken trains around the globe, and yes I have taken many Amtrak routes in sleeper and in coach. The concept of the dining car with its traditional seating times is dying. OBB nightjet (IMO a gold standard for traditional night trains right now) now allows you to order and eat in your room, or go to the dining car at your will. This is not dissimilar to what Amtrak is doing here. My strike against Amtrak here is the food offerings aren't even comparable to OBB's offerings. Hot food should always be an option on the menu, Amtrak should at least try offering hot food.
As such an experienced train traveler, you are aware that Amtrak has supported dining in your sleeping car cabin for the last few decades at least, right? You are also aware that Amtrak has "tried offering" hot food in the dining car since 1971, of course.

Nothing left for you to learn about train travel, no sirree. Next you'll be telling us about how these new offerings are "fresh packaged from local offerings, giving the customers new contemporary options."

OK, strike all that. I respect your honestly expressed opinions. Mine are that these changes constitute a major downgrade of services, and that there is no chance of my paying for a long distance trip on Amtrak that lacks actual diner service (hot food served at my table by a waiter). I'd appreciate it if you'd respect my opinions as well, and not tell me how these changes actually constitute some kind of improvement or addition of new service, like the "new" in-room dining that has actually been around since forever.

When you parrot the corporate line of horse hockey, please please don't be surprised if people doubt your motivations.

Ainamkartma
I have repeatedly said I think the food needs work. Amtrak is upgrading the amenities and undermining it with a poor food selection. I am not defending the food at it's current state. I also believe it's a fixable problem.

It sounds like Amtrak is onto a good idea here, having an exclusive sleeper lounge is a nice perk, especially if Amtrak gets the wifi going consistently. The unlimited soft drinks are an upgrade, and having food in your room is something that international trains are going towards (OBB who provides a majority of sleeper service in Europe just rolled that option out for passengers as well). Amtrak just needs to work on the food offerings, which is something Anderson told the RPA they are working on, just a matter of working on their catering contracts. I think this concept might work.
Why do I have this sudden curiosity to see your tax returns, and specifically your W-2 form, and specifically the identity of your employer? What could possibly have caused such an irrational urge?

Ainamkartma
I am not involved in the railroad/train industry in any way. I have just simply taken trains around the globe, and yes I have taken many Amtrak routes in sleeper and in coach. The concept of the dining car with its traditional seating times is dying. OBB nightjet (IMO a gold standard for traditional night trains right now) now allows you to order and eat in your room, or go to the dining car at your will. This is not dissimilar to what Amtrak is doing here. My strike against Amtrak here is the food offerings aren't even comparable to OBB's offerings. Hot food should always be an option on the menu, Amtrak should at least try offering hot food.
As such an experienced train traveler, you are aware that Amtrak has supported dining in your sleeping car cabin for the last few decades at least, right? You are also aware that Amtrak has "tried offering" hot food in the dining car since 1971, of course.

Nothing left for you to learn about train travel, no sirree. Next you'll be telling us about how these new offerings are "fresh packaged from local offerings, giving the customers new contemporary options."

OK, strike all that. I respect your honestly expressed opinions. Mine are that these changes constitute a major downgrade of services, and that there is no chance of my paying for a long distance trip on Amtrak that lacks actual diner service (hot food served at my table by a waiter). I'd appreciate it if you'd respect my opinions as well, and not tell me how these changes actually constitute some kind of improvement or addition of new service, like the "new" in-room dining that has actually been around since forever.

When you parrot the corporate line of horse hockey, please please don't be surprised if people doubt your motivations.

Ainamkartma
I have repeatedly said I think the food needs work. Amtrak is upgrading the amenities and undermining it with a poor food selection. I am not defending the food at it's current state. I also believe it's a fixable problem.
I dont think arguing with someone who wants to go back to dining cars with tuxedoed servers serving on China is worth your breath. In fact, watching Pauls Trip Reports on ÖBBs NightJet service is whats given me the pause to rethink my original thoughts on the whole change.

That said, Ill start a new thread later today when I take the Capitol Limited out of CHI.

I'm a half hour from dropping my bags at the ML in Chicago to head for Colorado. I'll be on the CL on Sunday, anxiously awaiting your observations, on dinner, I only saw breakfast on the LSL the other day.

Curious about how the crew is fed? I'm thinking their meals probably come from the cafe. I mean, how much of the same thing can they take, trip after trip.
To a certain extent, they have the same problem already. I think that these “contemporary” meals are probably healthier and of higher quality than the offerings in the snack car, so are probably a more “sustainable” choice if you’re working in the train for a long time. And for lunch/dinner, there are a similar number of entrees as was previously offered. And many people already order the same thing every day, so I would be surprised if they’d feel any more of a need to get meals from the snack car, than on trains with full meal service.
So I'm looking at this photo of one of the new "contemporary meals," and checking it against my attempt at a healthy, low sodium diet, and this is what I see:

https://www.facebook.com/esparail/posts/1823865014326639

Top row (l to r): marinated artichoke hearts (salt), olives (high salt), cornichons (more salt), mozarella balls (high cholesterol, salt), "Sea Salt Carmel (sugar AND salt).

Bottom row (l to r): processed turkey (very high sodium, chemicals, nitrates), processed cheese (high sodium, chemicals), processed meat (very high sodium, chemicals, nitrates); boxed item--not sure what's inside, probably starch and salt.

So if anyone can make the case that this "meal" is "healthy," especially when eaten repeatedly, I would be much obliged and very reassured.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm looking at this photo of one of the new "contemporary meals," and checking it against my attempt at a healthy, low sodium diet, and this is what I see:

Top row (l to r): marinated artichoke hearts (salt), olives (high salt), cornichons (more salt), mozarella balls (high cholesterol, salt), "Sea Salt Carmel (sugar AND salt).

Bottom row (l to r): processed turkey (very high sodium, chemicals, nitrates), processed cheese (high sodium, chemicals), processed meat (very high sodium, chemicals, nitrates); boxed item--not sure what's inside, probably starch and salt.

So if anyone can make the case that this "meal" is "healthy," especially when eaten repeatedly, I would be much obliged and very reassured.
Aren't the four major FDA food groups processed food, salt, sugar and chocolate?
default_mosking.gif

Curious about how the crew is fed? I'm thinking their meals probably come from the cafe. I mean, how much of the same thing can they take, trip after trip.
To a certain extent, they have the same problem already. I think that these “contemporary” meals are probably healthier and of higher quality than the offerings in the snack car, so are probably a more “sustainable” choice if you’re working in the train for a long time. And for lunch/dinner, there are a similar number of entrees as was previously offered. And many people already order the same thing every day, so I would be surprised if they’d feel any more of a need to get meals from the snack car, than on trains with full meal service.

Antipasto Plate
"A combination of prosciutto, soppressata and smoked turkey accompanied by assorted cheeses, marinated vegetables, olives, tangy pickles and crisp Italian bread sticks. Served with a cannellini bean salad and salted caramel cheese cake."
The boxed item you mention would be the cannellini bean salad.

Thank you -- so we've unmasked the boxed item.

Where I come from, an "antipasto" like that would be served as an appetizer (I think that's what "antipasto" means), for 4-6 people, who would pick out a few items gingerly, and then proceed to their entrees--salad, salmon, or pasta, something sensible. To eat THAT mess as a dinner, not so much.

MeLittleMe--I don't see the chocolate anywhere. Drat!

Nobody's forcing you to eat antipasto for dinner. There are other choices.

On the other hand, if you eat dinner before you get on the train, and want a snack to go with your evening cocktail, it might be a fine choice. Maybe no one will choose it and Amtrak will replace it with something else. Maybe it'll be the most popular food ever offered on Amtrak. Even if you never eat it.

Lighten up.

Considering the menu is only limited to Sleeping car passengers, something tells me the crew only has access to the cafe car (or a hot dog stand at a station).

Nobody's forcing you to eat antipasto for dinner. There are other choices.

On the other hand, if you eat dinner before you get on the train, and want a snack to go with your evening cocktail, it might be a fine choice. Maybe no one will choose it and Amtrak will replace it with something else. Maybe it'll be the most popular food ever offered on Amtrak. Even if you never eat it.

Lighten up.
It would also be nice for 2 people to order a salad and the antipasto plate for a meal. That would be a pretty good selection of food to mix and match for a meal.

I'm still trying to figure out which lunch / dinner entrees were that much better than the current offerings? The breakfast is def. a downgrade but the lunch and dinner options seem fine to me. That Amtrak burger and potato chips was fine but nothing to start a petition over! Ha.

Maybe everyone giving a strong feedback regarding an hot Egg item for Breakfast will bear some fruit too.
I think they're offering fruit now.
default_tongue.png
Actually I have no problem personally with what they are offering for breakfast since it resembles what I eat anyway, when I am not having an Egg breakfast. I just think there are a lot of people that like to have some eggs and some meat for breakfast.

Haven't been on either train yet since this started, but I kinda dig it. Would rather have a lighter option in room, vs the standard heavy meal on this short train. Makes sense to me. Typically for an evening departure I've already eaten better before getting on board, and skip dinner anyway, and a light snack/light breakfast works well for me. I was never a big fan of the recent (last 20 years or so) dining car meals anyway. Of course, others disagree, and that's fine, just please don't lump everyone into your basket, some of us just might prefer this to the standard amchow.

From the Railway Age article:

“A hot meal option will be coming at a future date as we are gathering feedback from our customers to understand preferences.”

I like how they will be offering something in the future that they just took away!
Hey it is better to get back what was taken away, than not to get it back.
default_tongue.png

Looks like the Lake Shore and the Capitol will get a hot meal option in their menus afterall....

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/06/05-amtrak-plans-to-return-hot-meal-option-to-two-trains

https://www.railwayage.com/news/twu-to-anderson-stop-these-cuts/

Maybe everyone giving a strong feedback regarding an hot Egg item for Breakfast will bear some fruit too. Who knows? No harm in trying.
Yes people write and don't be lazy.

Amtrak Customer Relations

1 Massachusetts Ave

Washington, DC 20001

Let your voice be heard. My voice is that Amtrak is no longer a travel option for expecting us to eat that cheap crap for dinner that you can buy at WaWa for $4.00. For the first leg of our typical $1000-$1500 overnight trip (that's a one way number) we deserve better and on the highway we will get it. We are also very disturbed seeing good hard working people lose their jobs. I was told that job cuts are coming by Amtrak employees.. What's needed is a massive strike to shut down the system until things are returned to normal!! We need everyone walking out. That would send a strong message to a congress that eats great hot meals at the taxpayer expense in the congressional dining room and to a president that eats gourmet meals every night.

When travel coach on the Lake Shore Limited, I have always eat in the dinning car. Yes it nose bleed price, but its better than anything in the cafe car. 47% of the meals provide in 2011 was to Coach passengers. Of course that was back when the price of the meal was more economic.

Love how we pick and choose the way to argue the facts.

Historically Dinning Service them be fighting words now.

I just departed on the CL out of Chicago. There were not one, but two amenity kits in my roomette. Ill comment on the chilled beef entree and add pictures once I eat.

The amenity kits contain: a mending kit, shower cap, shampoo, body wash, soap, conditioner, body lotion, and a beauty kit (I didnt open this, but my guess is inside youll find cloths for makeup removal).

You can see pics of the amenity kits here: https://www.facebook.com/sean.bossinger/posts/10160750131275160

Interesting name since Amtrak has not served Nashville since 1979 prior to Viewliner or Superliner.
If memory serves, Amtrak trains also don't serve Annapolis, Augusta, Columbus, Concord, Dover, Frankfort, Montgomery, or Tallahassee. They just picked state capitals on the east side of the US.

Looks like the Lake Shore and the Capitol will get a hot meal option in their menus afterall....

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/06/05-amtrak-plans-to-return-hot-meal-option-to-two-trains

https://www.railwayage.com/news/twu-to-anderson-stop-these-cuts/

Maybe everyone giving a strong feedback regarding an hot Egg item for Breakfast will bear some fruit too. Who knows? No harm in trying.
Yes people write and don't be lazy.

Amtrak Customer Relations

1 Massachusetts Ave

Washington, DC 20001

Let your voice be heard. My voice is that Amtrak is no longer a travel option for expecting us to eat that cheap crap for dinner that you can buy at WaWa for $4.00. For the first leg of our typical $1000-$1500 overnight trip (that's a one way number) we deserve better and on the highway we will get it. We are also very disturbed seeing good hard working people lose their jobs. I was told that job cuts are coming by Amtrak employees.. What's needed is a massive strike to shut down the system until things are returned to normal!! We need everyone walking out. That would send a strong message to a congress that eats great hot meals at the taxpayer expense in the congressional dining room and to a president that eats gourmet meals every night.
I'm not even going to screw around with "Amtrak Customer Relations". I don't have time to compose a letter right now, but this is going directly to Coscia, with a Cc: to Anderson. Certified.

Since Amtrak is now lying again by claiming that "These food service cars were infrequently used by coach customers" (47% of service on the LSL was to coach passengers in 2011, as Amtrak documented), I'm going to tell Coscia that his CEO is lying to the general public, and request that he perform more oversight.

In addition, I'll point out that the ingredients are not yet available before boarding, meaning that my ADA complaint from earlier has not been addressed.

And then I'll ask for some cold hard-boiled eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back