Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if it's any indication of what Amtrak passengers are doing
What makes you think that people invested enough in passenger rail to spend hours out of their day arguing on the internet about it are in any way representative of the average Amtrak passenger?
Firstly, thanks for the menu screenshot. Secondly, while AU definitely isn't a group of typical Amtrak passengers, I don't see why we'd be more eager than the average person to cancel a trip, because of the new food offerings. If anything, I might expect that we would be more likely than the average person to keep riding, since most riders aren't so in love with trains that they want to take Amtrak no matter what. My point is, the fact that many members have cancelled their tickets because of this change, really does not indicate to me that these changes are having a positive effect.
Maybe most Amtrak riders aren't as picky as AUers. Though I'm not thrilled with the offerings, I'm wouldn't cancel or trip, or refuse to book one, on a less than 24 hour trip just because I don't like the food. I'll pack some food to my liking. The food options offered on airlines don't appeal to me either, but I'm not going to not fly because of it.

if it's any indication of what Amtrak passengers are doing
What makes you think that people invested enough in passenger rail to spend hours out of their day arguing on the internet about it are in any way representative of the average Amtrak passenger?
Firstly, thanks for the menu screenshot. Secondly, while AU definitely isn't a group of typical Amtrak passengers, I don't see why we'd be more eager than the average person to cancel a trip, because of the new food offerings. If anything, I might expect that we would be more likely than the average person to keep riding, since most riders aren't so in love with trains that they want to take Amtrak no matter what. My point is, the fact that many members have cancelled their tickets because of this change, really does not indicate to me that these changes are having a positive effect.
Maybe most Amtrak riders aren't as picky as AUers. Though I'm not thrilled with the offerings, I'm wouldn't cancel or trip, or refuse to book one, on a less than 24 hour trip just because I don't like the food. I'll pack some food to my liking. The food options offered on airlines don't appeal to me either, but I'm not going to not fly because of it.
It all boils down to what your travel options are. Travel is for many people a necessity and for others a means to get to a desired location. The travel experience isn't what it was yesterday. Whether it is Amtrak or the airlines, the trend is going to be less amenities for the dollar. They know you "have" to travel (especially Amtrak since if you travel intercity by train you don't have any other choice). If you don't want to fly, your travel options are cut significantly. If you are perfectly OK with flying, your first choice between Chicago and New York or Chicago and Washington is going to be the airplane unless Amtrak really, really makes it attractive or unless the TSA makes flying really, really unpleasant. Amtrak steaks may impress people on AU but they don't impress most people, especially the price you'd have to pay for them (assuming they would be available). I think the only way Amtrak could beat United/American in those markets is if the fare were cheaper (and that would never happen). So the idea that Amtrak is losing CHI-NYP and CHI-WAS passengers to the airplanes by cutting Amtrak steaks? They didn't have many of them to begin with.

While Ryan's post above shows the "meat" of the menu, here is the PDF of the entire menu which I downloaded recently.

Just love the opening statement...

"We are committed to making your dining experience with us even better, which is why we are introducing a new style of service".

Lake-Shore-Limited-Sleeping-Car-Menu-0518.pdf

Attachments

• Lake-Shore-Limited-Sleeping-Car-Menu-0518.pdf
    221.7 KB · Views: 39
Never trust a marketeer or salesman
default_ph34r.png
Their job is to sell, not to be truthful necessarily.
default_mad.gif

The beyond Albany Empire Service trains do not normally run AM-2. They are seen on the Leaf, the Lake, and the ADK, in mixed consists, but not Empire Service sets.
Exactly. There is no difference of consist between east/south of Albany Empire Service and west of Albany Empire Service. Exact same consists.

Remember that the Maple Leaf is not counted as west of Albany Empire Service, even though it is funded in the US by NYSDOT. Only Niagara Falls trains are Empire Service for the consideration of consists.

I was wondering what they meant by "chilled beef tenderloin". They forgot one key word... "salad". It makes all the sense in the world now.
It sounds dastardly and this is why I have a problem.

From people that have never actually seen the meals.
It is true I haven't seen the meal but I do know this much. It is a far cry from what was offered... for the same price and you've hidden that fact under marketing buzzwords. Be honest and let them know you're trying to drive down costs as part of a federal mandate.

Other than that, if you're going to give people the salami, at least make well known and be honest like you were with Star. We know you're not getting anything but a reheated over-salted green plate special and for that, we're going to lower the prices.

I don't need to see "Greek Yogurt" to know that it isn't going to compare to french toast and bacon that I received a month ago for the same fare I don't need to see the "Chilled Tenderloin Salad' to know it isn't the flank steak I ate a few months ago for the same fare.

It's bogus.

Last edited by a moderator:
The beyond Albany Empire Service trains do not normally run AM-2. They are seen on the Leaf, the Lake, and the ADK, in mixed consists, but not Empire Service sets.
Exactly. There is no difference of consist between east/south of Albany Empire Service and west of Albany Empire Service. Exact same consists.

Remember that the Maple Leaf is not counted as west of Albany Empire Service, even though it is funded in the US by NYSDOT. Only Niagara Falls trains are Empire Service for the consideration of consists.

Not true. They are all a part of the Empire Pool of equipment which includes AM1s and AM2s. How NYSDOT decides to assign their pool is totally up to them. They could make a call tomorrow and decide they want AM2s on the Ethan Allen instead of the Adirondack and Amtrak would say "whatever works" and that would be that.

Not that this matters. Starting next week, you won;t see AM2s on any of the trains and a few sets are losing their split clubs.

So did NYSDOT actually run AM-2s on the Niagara Falls service? I am asking about what is, not what is theoretically possible.
default_wink.png

Thanks for the interesting tidbit BTW, about what will happen starting next week!

I wish you could mix and match a few items like sides and desserts. Since everything is prepackaged it doesn't seem like that would be too much to ask for really.

It also seems odd that the warning about all foods may contain wheat, fish, etc. Is on the menu. If these are fully pre-packaged meals, there should be a certified gluten free meal abailable.

So did NYSDOT actually run AM-2s on the Niagara Falls service? I am asking about what is, not what is theoretically possible.
default_wink.png
It has been done many times (without penalty or repercussions) just like we ran all AM1's on the Adirondack and Maple Leaf (without penalty or repercussions)....just like what will occur over the next few months.

Manipulation is manipulation!
default_wink.png

Now, when you steal one of their dual modes and put it on a long distance train to WAS...............
default_help.gif

But normally what was the case? Or is normality a concept way beyond Amtrak in its emaciated state?
default_wink.png
(sheepishly) Normally, you are 100% correct. The AM2s are assigned to specific trains as called for by the Empire Service operating plan. Failure to follow the plan CAN lead to penalties. This is the case with most state supported plans.

Reactions: jis
In following this thread on and off, and in particular, the last few days, got me wondering...What is Andersons' plan with this cold-meals for sleeper passengers?

While it seems to be obvious that he's looking to get rid of all the LD trains, starting with the 'most costly' routes (SWC more expensive per passenger than the Cardinal or Sunset? That's a new one on me!) by eliminating agents and hot food, perhaps he has a more 'not so obvious' plan. It just hit me in the past 5 minutes or so that he really wants to show the significant drop in ridership on the LSL and CL as a result of the food service cuts.

Maybe 4-5 months from now he'll tell congress that what would normally be sold-out-all-summer trains are now running at 60% or so, because of the food cuts that congress requires Amtrak to implement in the next year or so. Perhaps he's just as upset about cutting costs deeper than the bone as we are.

But then, 60% plus/minus occupied seat (and/or bed) miles would be a good justification to cut the train altogether. And after the LSL & CL are gone, take on the Silver Meteor and the Crescent, etc, until they're all gone. Throw in his 'no PTC, no Amtrak trains' routine, he will have a 'double-whammy' means of shedding the LD routes... One can only wait and see and contact our representatives in Washington.

In following this thread on and off, and in particular, the last few days, got me wondering...What is Andersons' plan with this cold-meals for sleeper passengers?

While it seems to be obvious that he's looking to get rid of all the LD trains, starting with the 'most costly' routes (SWC more expensive per passenger than the Cardinal or Sunset? That's a new one on me!) by eliminating agents and hot food, perhaps he has a more 'not so obvious' plan. It just hit me in the past 5 minutes or so that he really wants to show the significant drop in ridership on the LSL and CL as a result of the food service cuts.

Maybe 4-5 months from now he'll tell congress that what would normally be sold-out-all-summer trains are now running at 60% or so, because of the food cuts that congress requires Amtrak to implement in the next year or so. Perhaps he's just as upset about cutting costs deeper than the bone as we are.

But then, 60% plus/minus occupied seat (and/or bed) miles would be a good justification to cut the train altogether. And after the LSL & CL are gone, take on the Silver Meteor and the Crescent, etc, until they're all gone. Throw in his 'no PTC, no Amtrak trains' routine, he will have a 'double-whammy' means of shedding the LD routes... One can only wait and see and contact our representatives in Washington.
I don’t think he’s pulling reverse psychology on Congress. It just seems that there are less elaborate, complicated, and risky ways of telling them that food service is good for ridership.

Forgive me if it has already been posted, but this has some (alleged) details about how it was communicated to employees, most notably that the cold meals were/are not necessarily meant to be permenant, and that eventually Amtrak wants passengers to be able to choose meals before the day of travel.

I was wondering what they meant by "chilled beef tenderloin". They forgot one key word... "salad". It makes all the sense in the world now.
Now that is a scary though! When it comes to dinner/supper, I almost always want a hot meal consisting of meat, potatoes, a vegetable or 2 and, of course, a roll for mop up duty. A side salad is fine but if I want a salad as the main course, I'll pasture with the cattle and graze!

Now that is a scary though! When it comes to dinner/supper, I almost always want a hot meal consisting of meat, potatoes, a vegetable or 2 and, of course, a roll for mop up duty. A side salad is fine but if I want a salad as the main course, I'll pasture with the cattle and graze!
I’ve personally got nothing against salad as a main course (though I usually tend towards the veggie burger). However, a pre-packaged cold beef salad doesn’t really make my stomach rumble (even putting aside the fact that I don’t eat meat).

One can only wait and see and contact our representatives in Washington.
Assuming your representatives don't represent NEC states, their response should be: no LD, no NEC (subsidy). After all, take away LD trains and that leaves only the NEC, since by law other corridors are the responsibility of the states. NEC trains claim to make money "over the rails". But I seem to recall a lot of begging for funding for very expensive infrastructure, track, stations, catenary, tunnels, and bridges.

The menu is still down. I could be just letting my imagination run wild, but this definitely seems intentional...

The menu is still down. I could be just letting my imagination run wild, but this definitely seems intentional...
Yes, but they still have the "advisory" up on the LSL and CL pages but still show the current menu.
It's possible there could be a menu change or something like that. It can't really mean anything big, but something like that doesn't seem completely out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back