Amtrak's computers are whacky today (10/5/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The conductor on 29 mentioned that last night's 30 left Chicago at 2am this morning (10/5). 29's passengers are being bused from Toledo to Chicago 10/5.

30 is 12 hours and counting

Have not reached Elkhart yet and it is 930 AM

Stan

0930 EST. Amstatus showing mostly no info (overdue), Amtrak.com says its res system is down, Track a Clack (train) seems to be working fine, and, yes, showing #30 as 12 hrs down and not moving. #48 has made it a lot farther east.

Yes, I'd call it meltdown.

But - note that poor little #50, the Amtrak Orphan, is sailing happily along just a few minutes behind time.

actually i am on 30

Still stopped 3 Freights passed so far at this stop

Stan

Track-a-train was not working early this morning. Showed 29 just west of SKY when in fact it was 5 miles outside of TOL, as reported by an AUer on board. It seems to be better, but I'm not trusting the statuses just yet.

I think almost their entire system is down. I'm traveling BOS-PHL today, and no ticketing options worked. The lady at the ticket counter just printed me off a confirmation and said it would be good enough, since the conductors' handsets are down as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think almost their entire system is down. I'm traveling BOS-PHL today, and no ticketing options worked. The lady at the ticket counter just printed me off a confirmation and said it would be good enough, since the conductors' handsets are down as well.
Yup--Now Amtrak's entire web site is down, whereas earlier today at least parts of it were functional. Not a good day to both ride and try to book Amtrak. When it rains it pours.......bummer.

The entire Amtrak website is down. They were likely performing a system/server update or maintenance in the early AM hours on Sunday, which is not going well and taking a lot longer than expected. Meanwhile, the location and fate of today's eastbound CL and LSL is not known.

The entire Amtrak website is down. They were likely performing a system/server update or maintenance in the early AM hours on Sunday, which is not going well and taking a lot longer than expected. Meanwhile, the location and fate of today's eastbound CL and LSL is not known.
The passengers from the eastbound CL are all on buses from Toledo. The train was terminated in Toledo.

From Facebook:

"We are currently experiencing a network outage. If you are traveling today, please purchase your ticket at the station. If you have already purchased your ticket, please board your train even if you cannot access your eTicket. We apologize for the inconvenience."

It's funny how the end user solutions that Amtrak uses (iPhones, quik-trak, and the website) are all relatively modern, but the underlying guts of the system (ARROW) are 1980s vintage. Is this just a bunch of bad luck, or is Amtrak's reservation system finally falling apart?

Last edited by a moderator:
The passengers from the eastbound CL are all on buses from Toledo. The train was terminated in Toledo.
Boy, what a bus ride, TOL-WAS! We know you meant Westbound! LOL

Glad you made it and the bus is OK! Bill should be OK too, hope he decides to go!!!

Ticket machines are out of order and there is a ticketing line at PHL. It is within the capacity of the rat-maze but could be a long wait based on per-customer handle time. All trains show as "on time" but I suspect that is default status although the two trains that were due were actually on or close to schedule based on boarding calls.

Boy, what a bus ride, TOL-WAS! We know you meant Westbound! LOL

Glad you made it and the bus is OK! Bill should be OK too, hope he decides to go!!!
Oops sorry. I guess I had bus brain this morning. I did mean westbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back