Amtrak website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to book a trip from Chicago to L.A. on Amtraks website and was wondering if there is an easy way to check multiple dates for bedroom sleeper car availability besides doing a search one day at a time. It seems so time consuming to search one day at a time. We don't really care what day of the week we go so it would be helpful to be able to see the fares on different dates. Maybe someone out there would know what days are usually the cheapest for bedroom fares if there is such a thing. We were also wondering if anybody out there has ever booked two bedrooms connecting for only two people so as to have alot more room and also be more comfortable sleeping. We didn't have a good experience last trip on the CZ with the beds so we thought two rooms and we would both be comfortable sleeping.

I was trying to book a trip from Chicago to L.A. on Amtrak's website and was wondering if there is an easy way to check multiple dates for bedroom sleeper car availability besides doing a search one day at a time. It seems so time consuming to search one day at a time. We don't really care what day of the week we go so it would be helpful to be able to see the fares on different dates. Maybe someone out there would know what days are usually the cheapest for bedroom fares if there is such a thing. We were also wondering if anybody out there has ever booked two bedrooms connecting for only two people so as to have alot more room and also be more comfortable sleeping. We didn't have a good experience last trip on the CZ with the beds so we thought two rooms and we would both be comfortable sleeping.
The Amtrak web site won't let you do what you're looking to do. Others have commented on the need for that feature in past posts, but it can't be done. What you might try, if you have a browser with tabs, is open the Amtrak site in multiple tabs and put a different day in at each tab. I've done that when I was trying to book hotels and airlines and wanted to check lots of dates at the same time.

We were also wondering if anybody out there has ever booked two bedrooms connecting for only two people so as to have alot more room and also be more comfortable sleeping. We didn't have a good experience last trip on the CZ with the beds so we thought two rooms and we would both be comfortable sleeping.
I haven't heard of anyone doing that, but that's not to say that it hasn't happened. Just know that it ups the costs considerable and you can't do that online. You'll have to call or visit an agent at a station to guarantee two connecting rooms. If you book online, you might not even have the two rooms in the same car. Also know that forcing a connecting room could raise the costs over what you might see via the online system.

I don't know of any other way to check multiple days, except one at a time.

And there is no "cheaper days". Because Amtrak sells tickets by the bucket system, it is possible that "tomorrow's train" may be cheaper than "next month's train"!

If you want 2 connecting rooms, or even something like 2 rooms near each other, the ONLY way to be sure is to call and speak to a live agent! Otherwise, the website may give you "room B in car 0501" and "room D in car 0502" or "room 2 (upper level) and "room 14 (lower level)! (It gave you 2 rooms just like you asked!)

I was trying to book a trip from Chicago to L.A. on Amtraks website and was wondering if there is an easy way to check multiple dates for bedroom sleeper car availability besides doing a search one day at a time. It seems so time consuming to search one day at a time. We don't really care what day of the week we go so it would be helpful to be able to see the fares on different dates. Maybe someone out there would know what days are usually the cheapest for bedroom fares if there is such a thing. We were also wondering if anybody out there has ever booked two bedrooms connecting for only two people so as to have alot more room and also be more comfortable sleeping. We didn't have a good experience last trip on the CZ with the beds so we thought two rooms and we would both be comfortable sleeping.
I can't tell from your posting if your priority is "a lot more room" overall or "comfortable sleeping." You also give an impression that the money is not really an issue to you. I'll presume that sleeping comfort is your priority and that my impression about money is wrong.

With that presumption a little creative thinking can give you a few more options.

Instead of two bedrooms you can consider two roomette's directly across from each other and be able to achieve that sleeping comfort objective and reduce your cost considerably.

Another alternate idea would be to see if you can reserve the E bedroom and either roomette 1 or 2 just on the other side of the stairway. This will be more expensive that two roomettes but less that two bedrooms.

Of course only you can determine what would meet your preference, but I thought a few more ideas might be helpful! :)

On Edit: Don't try these suggestions online. They might be dangerous! Call Julie and let one of her trained professionals assist you! :huh: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back