Amtrak trains to get 180 day notices after July 1s

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As of right now Amtrak trains 1-8 and trains 58-59 will get there 180 day notices after July 1st 2006

Trains 19-20 will get cut back and run from New York to Atlanta

This will be the 1st round of cuts there will be more.

AmtrakWPK said:
1-8? Sunset and EB and Southwest Chief and Calif Zephyr AND CONO? ALL OF THEM? n AND Truncating Crescent? Abandoning NOL completely in addition to all the Western routes??
Like i have been trying to tell all of you no train was safe even the Empire Builder.

ok, most of us have done what we can as far as writing politicans and talking to friends. you say you have inside information that amtrak will abandon western routes. we will see. i can't imagine congress not overiding most of these cuts if they occur.

yarrow said:
ok, most of us have done what we can as far as writing politicans and talking to friends.  you say you have inside information that amtrak will abandon western routes.  we will see.  i can't imagine congress not overiding most of these cuts if they occur.
Congress alredy did this last year when they gave Amtrak there funding for FY 2006 and there was a part that said Amtrak must reduce service costs well here it is.

with more to come

BNSF_1088 said:
As of right now Amtrak trains 1-8 and trains 58-59 will get there 180 day notices after July 1st 2006
Trains 19-20 will get cut back and run from New York to Atlanta

This will be the 1st round of cuts there will be more.
Where do you get/heard it from?

Look NARP and other State groups are not getting the right information this is done for a reason to throw everyone off.

I have the the inside information and i am watched on what i post on the Internet.

My 2 groups put a stop to this issue about 4 months ago when it 1st came up and all of you said nothing was happening open your eyes this is being done behind closed doors away from NARP and other groups i just happen to have the respect from people to get this information and issue you it to the public but i will not give out there names or where they work in the company.

This is for real this is not a rumor you can take this information and use it to try to save these trains or wait till it is to late and we can lose these trains plus more.

the question remains: what is the source of this information? without some kind of independently verifiable source, it's all just conspiracy theory....

I find it hard to believe that the entire company is moving forward with such things as the fall timetable; budgets; advertising; marketing deals; station renovations; hiring; simplified dining service; on-board service managers; signing agreements with vendors, etc, etc and you have inside information such as this.

I will believe it when I see it and certainly not based on your continued "cry wolf" "behnind the scenes" and "secret" deals theories.

Thanks BNSF for the update. I must tell everyone now that this is all true and if you don't believe it, well that's your choice. I have spoken with my former bosses in both JAX and NOL whom I have absolute trust in their honesty regarding the subject of the future of services in and out of NOL, and yes, both 1/2 and 58/59 will be abolished and will be completely off the Amtrak roster no later than September 30, period! I can't speak for the other routes BNSF1088 reports personally, but I do believe they are dead too. The actual public announcement by Amtrak will begin with the formal 180 notices on Monday, June 3. The NOL crew base, both OBS and T&E were "unofficially" notified of this service cut by regional and local managers now unable to cover up this long awaited change in the way Amtrak will do business nationally. According to my former supervisors, they were point blanked asked by other OBS employees during the 58 safety briefing the other day, if the date of Southern Division Superintendent Sid Birket's resignation was just a coincidence or specific timing to get off the "Titanic" before it hit the iceburg. At that point, they openly confessed to everyone that the Hughes Adminstration had given them direct orders that any leak of the shutdown to labor employees from them would result in an immediate dismissal from Amtrak employment. In addition, again according to my former supervisors via my phone converstation, the station clerk at NOL, whom I believe 100% since I helped her and her family in Natchitoches when she got evacuated from NOL during Katrina, received a FedEX mail package that strickly states that it may only be opened by the manager of stations no earlier than Monday, July 3 its contents be distributed to all depots within her division. Folks, its here and now, and the people who remain with Amtrak now have the full picture of the pending doom that's about to occur with their jobs, and more importantly, the national passenger rail system. They can no longer deny it to themselves or others that the end is near.

Folks, this has been coming for a long time now. BNSF, Amtrak OBS Employee and myself have been warning of such radical system cuts for almost a couple of years now. I'm not going to say I told you so, because that's not an appropriate response by a member of a civil forum such as this and more importantly is it obsolutely true that those who choose not to believe statements made by others on this forum have every right to question the integrity and validity of such information made by people on any on-line forum. What I will say is that the formal announcement to the general public and the entire Amtrak employee network and the general public is scheduled for Monday, July 3 from David Hughes' office. That in a nutshell is exactly what three OBS managers told me on the phone Friday after calling to check up on old friends and to quite frankly find out if any news of the long awaited shutdown of the long distance network was truly coming pass as feared. I no longer work for Amtrak, I have personal agenda. I'm just giving you the facts as presented from three Amtrak managers to one former employee and personal friend.

Trainboy325 has said all that can be said of this very sad and disappointing subject!!!

trainboy325 said:
I have spoken with my former bosses in both JAX and NOL whom I have absolute trust in their honesty regarding the subject of the future of services in and out of NOL, and yes, both 1/2 and 58/59 will be abolished and will be completely off the Amtrak roster no later than September 30, period!

The actual public announcement by Amtrak will begin with the formal 180 notices on Monday, June 3.
Well, we know this part cannot be entirely accurate. A 180-day notice. issued July 1 or July 3 or whenever, would run through the end of 2006. A train "abolished and will be completely off the Amtrak roster" by September 30th would clearly be in violation of the law, and Amtrak is aware of this. With any train-offs being no doubt controversial, you couldn't get away with this as easily as post-Katrina (Sunset east of New Orleans).

The rest of the rumor doesn't hold water either, but no matter what the truth is, by law the trains will still be around for Christmas.

BNSF_1088 said:
TransAtlantic said:
the question remains: what is the source of this information?  without some kind of independently verifiable source, it's all just conspiracy theory....
Read abouve your post it explains your Q :)
actually, no, it doesn't identify any such source; all it does is say who DOESN'T have the correct information, according to you....and as far as 1/2 being cancelled, that would entail the elimination of train service to Houston and Beaumont, which would be replaced by bus connections to San Antonio and/or New Orleans. Not a real suprise, as far as I can see; maybe it will be back after the state of Mississippi finally decides what to do about the right-of-way relocation project.

In a slight way, I tend to hope this is true. Of course, I don't want the trains to vanish and certainly don't want the employees to lose their job, but I hope that somehow, enough attention is brought to this subject, and enough of a stink is made that puts a LOT of peoples attention on the subject, and that it ultimately comes back to bite them in the end.

If there is truth to the scope of this dilemma, it seems as if the subtly implied, "new trains in place of old trains" theory is a bunch of bunk.

I still can't see the banishment of the SWC, CZ, and EB. I thought OTP was part of the factor, which the SWC especially, is rather decent on.

Let's agree that Amtrak funding never has been an easy deal. With that in mind, I'll use this as an opportunity to contact my two Senators (both Amtrak supporters from Texas) and my congressman.

And I'll share w/them that I heard/read Amtrak is planning some serious announcements 3 July. Congress folks generally don't like end-arounds or trick plays (especially those from Texas).

Every year I write / email my Congress squad, so this is as good a time as any.

Seems that BNSF_1088 has some stones to even broach this subject. And this is the Internet. So maybe some of y'all may want to take a bit of time to contact your Congress people (2+1) and let them know about your support of Amtrak and what you're hearing on your passenger rail websites and forums. Would that hurt?

For whatever its worth, my thinking is you could go ahead and start your letters in support of Amtrak - thats never a bad idea. But I wouldn't mail them just yet. You can save a copy on your PC, and always edit them to reflect what does - or does not - happen next week.

We can afford to wait a week or so. If nothing happens through the Independance Day holidays, you can make it just a general appeal for support for passenger rail. Should, however, the worst occur (not very likely), you can then make it appeal to actually save our trains.

SWChief? Is that the one that goes through Galesburg, Illinois on the way to Los Angeles (starts in Chicago)?

So that one may leave us?

Oh pooh. Our local paper just had a article on a train museum that they are building in Galesburg (45 minutes away) and they mentioned that six Amtrak trains go through there a day and the Chief was one. I thought - hey that would be a good train to take to California. Well, I guess I had better hold on that thought.

By the way, is the Chief a decent train? I know it isn't like the Empire but...........

I'm a "rookie" here but I don't see how a bunch of "politicians" would cut Amtrak on election year. If anything, do it last year or '07. But both my girlfriend and I will contacting our reps (AGAIN) tomorrow.

If you aren't convinced by now that Bush doesn't care what anybody else thinks, and doesn't even care what the law says about anything, then you haven't been paying attention to the tv or newspapers for the last six years. Once he decides to do something, he does it. What anybody else thinks is irrelevant. WAKE UP everybody!!

BNSF_1088 said:
yarrow said:
bnsf, you know much more about this than i do but i thought the presumed savings from diner lite(short sighted though it is)would satisfy the congressional mandate.
Nope it included anything that would bring the costs down.
Can you provide the bill number and the exact quote in a piece of passed and signed legislation (such that it can be searched at http://thomas.loc.gov ) that says everything is subject to cancellation?

I certainly don't like what I read here, and am not disbelieving that the management has cooked up such a scheme. My feeling is that this crap will get squashed. P.S. - I did not vote for George Bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back