Amtrak Superliners.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P40Power said:
The French Toast cannot be beat on my layout!
Send some my way. :)

I love French Toast, it's my favorite breakfast food. I love eating it and I love cooking it.

In fact I've never tried anything else off Amtrak's breakfast menus over the years. If there's a diner on my train, then it's French Toast for breakfast.

AlanB said:
P40Power said:

I love French Toast, it's my favorite breakfast food. I love eating it and I love cooking it.

In fact I've never tried anything else off Amtrak's breakfast menus over the years. If there's a diner on my train, then it's French Toast for breakfast.
Isn't French Toast some sort of railroad past time tradition. Most people say the best French Toast is still served up today in the Amtrak Dining Cars.

AlanB said:
P40Power said:

Geez now you guys have me craving breakfast food at just after midnight. Thanks a lot... :lol:

P40Power said:
Ill tell ya what, my brand new Walther's Heritage Diner serves up the best meals on the rails! The French Toast cannot be beat on my layout!
My Viewliner Diner, will beat both of yours once its completed. (I haven't started the kitbash b/c of midterms and a research project, but at the end of the month the conversion begins!) :lol: B) :)

Of course my fleet has a Superliner II Diner and Heritage Diner, among other cars. :D

Amfleet said:
Isn't French Toast some sort of railroad past time tradition. Most people say the best French Toast is still served up today in the Amtrak Dining Cars.
Yup, RR French Toast is a big tradition.

As for Amtrak's being the best, that I don't think is true. Amtrak's isn't bad, but as a French Toast Connoisseur I can safely say it isn't the best that I've ever had.

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
Yup, RR French Toast is a big tradition.

As for Amtrak's being the best, that I don't think is true. Amtrak's isn't bad, but as a French Toast Connoisseur I can safely say it isn't the best that I've ever had.
I think we can all agree, its the best place to have it... :D (Dreaming of my April Trip)

Well someday we will have to have a model Amtrak diner cook off! The winner takes home a Walthers Amfleet coach in his choice of paint schemes! :lol:

Anyways, now unlike many of you people on here, I havent been on all that many Amtrak trips. I can only remember one trip to the dining car for breakfast on the Lake Shore in 1997, and I didnt get the traditional railroad French toast!! I got this weird breakfast thing that came with all kinds of stuff like cereal, a big danish, toast (they still had toast back then haha), orange juice, and I think something else also came with it. It was pretty good.

P40Power said:
Anyways, now unlike many of you people on here, I havent been on all that many Amtrak trips. I can only remember one trip to the dining car for breakfast on the Lake Shore in 1997, and I didnt get the traditional railroad French toast!! I got this weird breakfast thing that came with all kinds of stuff like cereal, a big danish, toast (they still had toast back then haha), orange juice, and I think something else also came with it. It was pretty good.
I remember that. They called it the "Continental Breakfast." I never had it because I like hot breakfasts on the train, but I do remember seeing it several times and it seemed like quite the spread of breakfast foods.

My favorite Amtrak breakfast was the biscuits and gravy that was served on the Empire Builder before the national menus were implemented. Boy were those good! With a side of bacon, you could feel the arteries clogging and enjoy every cholesterol-laden bite. :D

I went to the On Track on line Amtrak Roster Site today to find out how many Superliner Cars is in service and Here is how many Superliner Cars is in service:

29 Superliner Dining Cars are in service. (Superliner I)

46 Superliner Sleeper Cars are in service. (Superliner II)

22 Superliner Lounge Cars are in service. (Superliner II)

42 Superliner Dorm/Sleeper Cars are in service. (Superliner II)

5 Superliner Deluxe Sleeper Cars are in service. (Superliner II)

30 Superliner Coach Cars are in service. (Superliner II)

5 Superliner Family Coach Cars are in service (Superliner II)

28 Superliner Dining Cars are in service. (Superliner II)

4 Superliner Auto Train Lounge Cars (Superliner I)

( Ex - Dining Cars)

14 Superliner Coach/Baggage Cars are in service. ( Superliner I)

24 Superliner Lounge Cars are in service. (Superliner I)

30 Superliner Super Smoker ( Superliner I)

( Ex Coach/Baggage)

There are only a handful. Amtrak only owns four coaches and 5 lounges (lounges are on the Coast Starlate as the Pacific Parlour Car). A full roster of all Hi-Levels can be found here.

Gotta love the Starlite's OTP lately last few weekdays I've seen 11 in at SAC at 1, and 1:30 PM around 7 hours late. That weather up in Oregon must have been brutal.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Battalion51 you mean Coast Starlight.
Battalion was making a joke when he said the Starlate, since this train has been running very late the past few months. :)

Many people also refer to the Lake Shore Limited as the Late Shore Liminted, since that train is often late too.

pismobum said:
the active superliner counts listed from OTOL are short by 145 cars and have other discrepancies. All the car counts are readily available at
Pismobum, you must have miscounted somewhere. I hope that you didn’t base your count on Amtrak Railfan’s post above. :unsure: My quick tally of the OTOL Superliner roster shows 429 cars. Please note that OTOL only lists cars that Amtrak considers active.

The site that you linked to shows 479 total production, with 424 in service. That leaves a difference of only 5 cars between the two sites. Yes the Amtrak Superliner site shows 50 more cars if you compare production to OTOL's active only roster.

Now I didn't compare car type by car type to see how they measure up, but I'm sure that OTOL is extremely close to what you are considering to be accurate.

It should also be noted that Amtrak Superliner's site credits David Warner, who is an OTOL Leader/Administrator and the creator of the OTOL roster, as one of his sources. Additionally two of the other sources cited are also the same as used by OTOL.

you misread my post (or it was poorly worded).

"the active superliner counts LISTED from OTOL are short by 145 cars"

I was referring to the counts POSTED here being incorrect, not OTOL.

As far as counts, David Warner uses the same sources as I do, and we get corrections from each other occasionally (note the link at the bottom of my page to David's pages and also that his superliner pages will refer you to my roster for details). I am aware of at least 2 new cars into stored-damaged that David does not yet reflect, plus we may report differently on cars pulled from "stored-damaged" to "under-repair". Figures on my pages reflect thru 12/31/03.

pismobum said:
you misread my post (or it was poorly worded).
"the active superliner counts LISTED from OTOL are short by 145 cars"

I was referring to the counts POSTED here being incorrect, not OTOL.

As far as counts, David Warner uses the same sources as I do, and we get corrections from each other occasionally (note the link at the bottom of my page to David's pages and also that his superliner pages will refer you to my roster for details). I am aware of at least 2 new cars into stored-damaged that David does not yet reflect, plus we may report differently on cars pulled from "stored-damaged" to "under-repair". Figures on my pages reflect thru 12/31/03.
Well now you've given away your alter-ego with that post. :eek: :lol:

I wasn't sure if you were refering to AmtrakRailfan's numbers or the OTOL numbers. So as an OTOL administrator I wanted to make it clear that within reason, the OTOL Superliner numbers listed on the OTOL site were not wrong.

In fact the OTOL Amtrak roster in general is considered one of the best and most complete on the net.

I was also aware that David has cited you as one of his sources, however at the time since I didn't know that Pismobum and Dan were one in the same, I saw no reason to mention that.

I make no effort to "hide" my identity. Pismobum is my normal moniker as I live in pismo beach CA. I also use web_lurker (see

http://trainweb.org/web_lurker/domes

As far as superliner counts, I'm pretty sure both David and I both reflect 32090 being released back to service in December. Take my 424 "active" cars, add the 3 "repair status" cars and you get 427. David shows 429, and I would guess that he does not yet reflect the 32023 and 34097 being dropped into 'wreck repair' status at the end of the year since there were no major 'accidents' per se. My information comes largely from El Simon (also a source of Dave's), so I'm pretty sure our counts will agree again at some point. Dave attempts the difficult task of trying to track ALL Amtrak equipment by count, but does not have the time to track individual units for the most part. I only track domecars, hi-levels, and Superliners, so I have the time to go into a great deal more detail.

..later...

Back