Amtrak Superliners.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first Superliners appeared in 1978 and were built by Pullman-Standard. The Superliner project forced the company into bankruptcy, but they are now the primary fleet type west of Chicago, and on some eastern routes as well. This first generation of cars are referred to as Superliner I's.

Beginning in 1993 until 1994, Bombardier started building a second phase of Superliners, called Superliner II's. This order included transition sleepers and deluxe sleepers (Auto Train), in addition to coaches, sleepers, diners, and lounges. Superliner II's comply with the American Disibility Act.

The design of the two cars is very similar, especially on the exterior. The easiest way to tell the difference of a the two is that on a Superliner II, the boagies are silver and feature air bags, digital number displays, and on sleepers, state names placed near the door. Some Superliner I's are refurbished with the same seating materials of a Superliner II.

Hope this helps.

And I want to said to you AMTK@AUS welcome to the Amtrak Unlimited Forums Site and if you want to see or post my discussion feel free to do that. :D

Welcome to the board, Brandon!

AMTK@AUS said:
The easiest way to tell the difference of a the two is that on a Superliner I, the boagies are silver and feature air bags, digital number displays, and on sleepers, state names placed near the door.
I'm guessing this is a typo, but the Superliner II have the digital displays, not the Superliner I.

What kind of sound. . . well it would be the sound of a large metal door closing on a rail car . . . Superliner doors swing open unlike Amfleet cars where they slide. The only way to know the sound would to be to witness one being opened and closed at a station stop or something somewhere . . .

Amtrak Railfan said:
What kind of sound does the Superliner Passager Cars make to close the doors?
The doors in the Superliners are not automatic, a crewmember opens and closes the door. Therefore the only sound, other than the clunk of metal on metal, might be the crewmember telling someone to get out of the doorway.

AlanB said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
The doors in the Superliners are not automatic, a crewmember opens and closes the door. Therefore the only sound, other than the clunk of metal on metal, might be the crewmember telling someone to get out of the doorway.
Well, and also at some stations, the sound of the yellow stool being placed back in the vestibule :lol:

Amtrak Railfan said:
Hey Railfan! Have you had a chance to ride on an Amtrak train yet? :eek:

I used to live in commuter territory (LIRR) and besides once going from NYP to PHL in 1984, I didn't start riding Amtrak until I came out here two years ago. Of course since then I've logged about 25,000 miles but that's another story :)

A coach may pinch hit ocasionally for a bad ordered California car, but for the most part they run California cars out there.

Back